Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

Pashnit Motorcycle Forum (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/index.php)
-   California - Road Trips & Pics, pics, pics (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Riding atop Peavine Ridge & the descent into Jaybird Canyon (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15703)

pashnit 02-17-2008 04:32 PM

Riding atop Peavine Ridge & the descent into Jaybird Canyon

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished rebuilding the Ice House Rd webpage :clap , and mentioned Peavine Ridge. One of the spur roads off this well-known motorcycle ride that circles around with Wentworth Springs Rd.

But always curious about Peavine Ridge. :nod The rest of the pics.

Attachment 64508

Our locale for the day... You can sort of make out Peavine Ridge Rd at bottom left.

http://www.pashnit.com/maps-keyhole/.../IceHouse4.jpg

pashnit 02-17-2008 04:40 PM

Re: Riding atop Peavine Ridge & the descent into Jaybird Canyon

4 Attachment(s)
But first, rode up Ice House Rd a bit to get some shots of the Crystal Range. Right over that mountain range is Lake Tahoe.

Keep an eye out for logging trucks. :p

Attachment 64509

Attachment 64510

Attachment 64547

Attachment 64548

pashnit 02-17-2008 04:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Back to Peavine Ridge which starts out like this, wide open spaces, no center line. :lala

Attachment 64513

The peaky peak at center is Pyramid Peak, one of the more visible landmarks for miles and miles in this region of the Sierra Nevada Mtns.

Attachment 64514

It's wide open expanses b/c the Cleveland Fire in 1992 burned all of this, 24,000 acres, but its all been replanted and growing back fast. :2thumbsup

Attachment 64515

pashnit 02-17-2008 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The panoramic version, in the valley below is Hwy 50, the main drag between Sacramento & South Lake Tahoe.

Scroll-->
Attachment 64516

pashnit 02-17-2008 04:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
See the deer?

Just georgeous up here! :love

Attachment 64517

Came to a fork in the road. No dirt tires on this baby. :p Actually, I'd explored that road (White Meadow Rd) about a year prior on the hayabusa (till the pavement ended). It connects back to the valley below. Name change to Jaybird Powerhouse Rd so I continued on.

Attachment 64520

Yes, that's snow. And ice. I had to stop and walk it first. It was sanded so gingerly I went. ST1100 with its upright riding position is perfect for this sort of thing, very well balanced bike! :nod

Attachment 64518

View to the west- I'm headed into that canyon to the river bottom.

Attachment 64519

pashnit 02-17-2008 05:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The descent into Jaybird Canyon was a dirty sandy twisty affair.

Attachment 64521

And icy. I had to walk this one first also to see if I could make it around. :riding

Attachment 64522

Attachment 64523

Check out these switchbacks on the satellite. Straight down the canyon! :riding These snowy ones above are the very top one on the satellite. Fortunately, right after this, I dropped below the snowline. You can see the generating plant and penstock too (the straight line). The ones below are the last switchback in the satellite pic which was a total 180 swap in direction. :p

Attachment 64553

pashnit 02-17-2008 05:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Steep! Love this pic. Feels rugged.

Attachment 64524

Another angle of this hairpin.

Attachment 64549

All this for water. Hydro power. This penstock feeds the water into the generating plant.

Attachment 64525

Waterfall that didn't photograph well, but sound was cool! Starts way up on the cliff.

Attachment 64526

Anyone up for some stairclimbin' :p

Attachment 64527

pashnit 02-17-2008 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Jaybird Powerhouse- this one is really tucked away, I wouldn've had any idea this one was back in here if I hadn't been curious enough to ride to the end of the road! :2thumbsup This water eventually flows to Coloma (where they discovered gold) and on into Folsom Lake, through Sacramento, to the Bay Area and into the ocean.

Attachment 64528

Headed back out of the canyon, still a great view at the top!

Attachment 64529

pashnit 02-17-2008 05:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Had to double back through the same patch of snow & ice. Made it okay. :D

Attachment 64530

Attachment 64531

Then time to explore a spur road I'd passed by to see where this would lead - Bryant Springs Rd

Attachment 64550

Noted the sign for the Powerhouse. But that road was closed. Maybe next time. :D

Attachment 64532

Ends up at the west side of Union Valley Reservoir (which you can see in post#1)

Attachment 64533

pashnit 02-17-2008 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Union Valley Reservoir looking eastward

Scroll --> Purty, huh? :love At right out of view is Big Hill Fire Lookout photographed here...

Attachment 64534