Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

Pashnit Motorcycle Forum (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/index.php)
-   The How-To Section - Threads on Do-It-Yourself (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   push start a yamaha R6 (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25185)

berlinguyinca 12-15-2009 03:54 PM

push start a yamaha R6

let's think about the following scenario, you are in the middle of nowhere and for some reason your battery is discharged. Like leaving on your highbeams while the engine is off during a quick lunch...

So you want to start the bike and all you hear is 'click,click,click'. What todo now?

One solution would be to push start the bike. As example we will use jasmine, my 2005 R6. As always, every bike likes to be treated differently.

steps:

- pull in the kickstand
- make sure the engine cut off switch is in the on position (don't ask me how i know this... :rolleye)
- put the bike in first or second gear, jasmine prefers second gear
- give a little gas
- pull in the clutch
- get to a steady speed of 5mph and let the clutch engage, slowly!
- engine should sputter and start

if this doesn't work, try to use a different gear like 1s or 3rd. Some bikes prefer higher or lower gears.

you should be now up and running

GTTrom 12-15-2009 04:40 PM

Re: push start a yamaha R6

Works with a ZX-14 too. DAMHIK :rolleye
:D

Of course when I had to start mine, I also found out that AAA won't jump a bike. :scratch

Gordon

berlinguyinca 12-15-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTTrom (Post 307606)
...I had to start mine, I also found out that AAA won't jump a bike. :scratch
n

as far as I know a running car can fry the electronics of a modern motorcycle, when you jump start it. It should work with the car NOT running. But do you really want to use your baby to test it?

now i want to see the person who push starts a goldwing :P

bosozoku 12-15-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlinguyinca (Post 307609)
as far as I know a running car can fry the electronics of a modern motorcycle, when you jump start it. It should work with the car NOT running. But do you really want to use your baby to test it?

Explain why, please?....:scratch

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlinguyinca (Post 307609)
now i want to see the person who push starts a goldwing :P

Been there/done that...GW's start just fine in 2nd gear. They're a bit heavier to get going from rest, but with all that mass, you don't even need to be in the saddle when you pop the clutch, as long as you're on a clean paved surface. :D

berlinguyinca 12-15-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosozoku (Post 307618)
Explain why, please?....

i think they just put out to much current and the voltage could be to high, when the car is running. My truck usually had a voltage between 14-16V depending on condition of the battery.

But I'm not an electrician and don't know much about this. Just read this on several websites, when I tried to figure out how to get the bike going :)

bosozoku 12-15-2009 05:55 PM

Well, those OWT-warnings about harming your electrical system with a car battery are pretty much bunk. As long as you connect things correctly, a 12v negative-ground sytem can't hurt another one like it. You can jump a bike with a car, no problem: the procedure and the pitfalls are the same for both, no matter how many wheels are holding your ride up.

Law Dawg (ret) 12-15-2009 06:31 PM

So with fuel injection will a bike push start on a dead battery? Assuming that the injection is electronic here...I dunno.

berlinguyinca 12-15-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Law Dawg (Post 307626)
So with fuel injection will a bike push start on a dead battery? Assuming that the injection is electronic here...I dunno.

mine did and the 2005 R6 is fuel injected, but it was just low enough to not crank the starter or turn on any lights.

bosozoku 12-15-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Law Dawg (Post 307626)

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlinguyinca (Post 307627)
mine did and the 2005 R6 is fuel injected, but it was just low enough to not crank the starter or turn on any lights.

Yup...my old turd, your R6's distant ancestor, has the same problem. Electronic ignition, big starter, easy to bump-start as long as there's something left in the battery.

For most injected bikes, with a weak battery, pick any two from this list. :D
Ignition
Starter
Injection

eojmo 12-15-2009 09:16 PM

Back to the future! This was a common practice with older bikes that where sometimes difficult to start. Called bump starting,and in the earlier years of motorcycle GP's it was refered to as the Le Mans start,except the riders would run to thier bikes and bump,(push start) the machines. Yam R6 easy,a loaded BMW on dirt road,just about impossible.
Thank god for modern electrics! :2thumbsup