Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

Pashnit Motorcycle Forum (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/index.php)
-   California - Road Trips & Pics, pics, pics (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Marin Headlands to Point Bonita Lighthouse - A Pashnit Ride (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3827)

yamaha 05-31-2006 10:36 AM

Re: The Marin Headlands to Point Bonita Lighthouse - A Pashnit Ride

Nice post and pix. Liked it so much I visited Marin Headlands a few weeks ago and took pictures almost at the same place. Instead of following the route I went to Sausalito Beach and took some nice pictures. The beach is also a nice place to take the family on weekends and have a picnic. Thanks for the idea, I never knew that place existed until I saw your post. I would like to share my photos but I still don't know how to post them on this website.
James/yamaha

loco_devo 12-01-2006 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just made it back there and snapped this photo from the bunker at the top of the hill before the 1way dream road begins

Attachment 39481

kinda says it all, don't it

Ettenerf 03-01-2007 07:55 PM

Pictures like those would make anyone say to hell with working, get the bike out and tell everybody I'll be back.......Maybe.

PT_Cruiser 03-01-2007 10:57 PM

I know this thread has been around for awhile, but I just saw it for the first time today. This brings back high school memories for me. When I was a senior in high school (1982) I was a counselor for a group of kids at Point Bonita. It was cool checking out the tide pools, the gun turrets and the light house.. and of course the obligatory skits and goofing off in the barracks at night.

I've always wanted to take my kids there - now that they are pretty much grown, I think they would appreciate the history of it.

Thanks Tim.

jumpman 06-28-2007 01:54 PM

Can anyone post map of exactly where this ride is? I'd like to ride in in a few weeks.
Nate

pashnit 06-28-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpman
Can anyone post map of exactly where this ride is? I'd like to ride in in a few weeks.
Nate

Nate - pretty simple. Ride north across the Golden Gate Bridge, and get off on the very first exit right after the bridge. That's it. No more complicated than that. Northbound, you'll have to circle around under the 101 freeway, but first thing you'll see is that Point Bonita sign.

Southbound get off on the very last exit right before the Golden Gate- which is literally right in front of you. :)

Orson 06-29-2007 05:10 AM

It's also a great place to watch the Blue Angels during Fleet Week

:nod

bosozoku 06-29-2007 07:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpman
Nate

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=76

Take the first exit north of the Golden Gate Bridge

-Yo- 09-30-2007 04:29 PM

Thanks for the story. Brought back great memories. In the 80s I lived in Mill Valley, worked in Financial District. I would hit the headlands 2 or 3 times a month. Stupifyingly beautiful, and an awesome location for a picnic in summer or fall. On the way out, slip down to the East into Sausalito--feels like you're on the French Riviera.

What's interesting is that I'm told the Marin Headlands is the #1 visited National Park in the whole USA. Yet, as you said, I know many folks in the Bay Area who have never visited it. They just blast on by as soon as they cross the GG bridge. You need to be prepared to exit immediately.

Bandit66 09-30-2007 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah this is a really difficult place to live. There is always some unknown quidam showing up with some beautiful piece of pavement I have yet to enjoy. Could not find any appropriate smiley, so I took Lindsey's. Hope she'll forgive me
Attachment 57822