Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

Pashnit Motorcycle Forum (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/index.php)
-   The How-To Section - Threads on Do-It-Yourself (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Who needs a tire machine? Change your own! (http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6800)

Edelweiss 01-02-2009 01:00 PM

Re: Who needs a tire machine? Change your own!
 
Tire machines?

Unless its a zero contact type, and none of the ones I've seen for home use are, no thanks!

I've been changing and balancing my own tires since I started riding over 30 years ago. And to date, none of my rims have been scuffed, scraped, nicked or gouged. Shops don't provide any guarantees, but have the nerve to charge big coin for a simple task :loco.

Bead breaking tool: what he made was nifty and I might do likewise. I've been using a four foot long 2" x 6" board that I drive my car onto, but it is a 2-person job to do it right.

Rim protectors: I have a set like those for my other motorcycle, but for the thick edged rims of a BMW GS, I use 2" x 5" plastic sheets cut out from windshield washer bottles. I noticed that he forgot to use his rim protectors when he installed the tire.

Tire mounting lubricant: I've used silicone spray and Armor-All.

BTW, the background music was a whole lot better than listening to some head banging rock crap. Mozart lives on more than 200 years after his death.

DaleC 01-02-2009 01:30 PM

Re: Who needs a tire machine? Change your own!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edelweiss (Post 249830)
Tire machines?

Unless its a zero contact type, and none of the ones I've seen for home use are, no thanks!

I've been changing and balancing my own tires since I started riding over 30 years ago. And to date, none of my rims have been scuffed, scraped, nicked or gouged. Shops don't provide any guarantees, but have the nerve to charge big coin for a simple task :loco.

Bead breaking tool: what he made was nifty and I might do likewise. I've been using a four foot long 2" x 6" board that I drive my car onto, but it is a 2-person job to do it right.

Rim protectors: I have a set like those for my other motorcycle, but for the thick edged rims of a BMW GS, I use 2" x 5" plastic sheets cut out from windshield washer bottles. I noticed that he forgot to use his rim protectors when he installed the tire.

Tire mounting lubricant: I've used silicone spray and Armor-All.

BTW, the background music was a whole lot better than listening to some head banging rock crap. Mozart lives on more than 200 years after his death.

One of the best lower cost tire chaining machines on the market that works great is the No-Mar Tire changer. They have 3 models, but even the lower cost unit works great and for anyone that goes through a lot of motorcycle tires is a worth-while purchase.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/video/showcase

Skip the silicone spray or ArmorAll for the tire lubricant use and make a one time investment (this quantity lasts a life-time and works much much better) of about $22.39 for some Camel Tire Stuf - #12-095. Fabulous stuff for a tire lubricant and unlike the silicone spray doesn't evaporate quickly on warm or hot days.

http://www.autowares.com/images/prod...12-095-400.jpg

http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/p...&cat=2,3,4,5,9

DaleC

Edelweiss 01-02-2009 01:38 PM

Re: Who needs a tire machine? Change your own!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleC (Post 249834)
One of the best lower cost tire chaining machines on the market that works great is the No-Mar Tire changer.

And since it does make contact with the rim, the No-Mar...can mar. I don't care what nylon or Delrin inserts they use, all you need is a bit of grit between the two and sayonara. Some of us have anodized rims which aren't as tough as painted or powder coated rims.

I won't risk it...unless they guaranteed me a new rim.

bigvboss 02-12-2010 10:03 AM

Re: Who needs a tire machine? Change your own!
 
I HAVE TO REMOVE THE REAR WHEEL ON MY 06 DYNA ANY HINTS?

mr_belay 02-15-2010 02:21 AM

Re: Who needs a tire machine? Change your own!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigvboss (Post 314803)
I HAVE TO REMOVE THE REAR WHEEL ON MY 06 DYNA ANY HINTS?

Please dont' take this as sarcasm, it's not. Step one: Buy maintenance manual for type model and year of your bike. After that it should be pretty easy. I didn't read the how to on changing tires since i have no interest in doing it my self but if your bike has tubes (i.e. lace wheels) it is even easier than most. kinda like changing a bicycle tire. takes a bit more oomph though. And damaging you wheel is always a possibility. I have a '05 XL and do mount my own wheels but not tires.
/r
Jeremy


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Pashnit.com - All rights reserved