View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 05:34 AM   #6
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Name: Tim

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

Re: 1000 Mile Journey to NorCal - Pashnit & Cycle World Magazine

David Edwards BMW, which if you are a studious reader of his columns, he inherited from his late brother. Then he completely restored the entire bike. It ran great for a 20 year old motorcycle.

David writes:

Bike: 1982 BMW R80G/S
Purchase Price: $0
On the Road: $1340
Info: I got my bike for nothing, but I can’t recommend the method of acquisition. When my brother Kevin passed away last year, I inherited his favorite ride, a 100,000-mile salvage-title G/S that he’d fixed up. In my possession, it needed a tune-up, a carb rebuild and some parts–throttle cables, gaskets, rubber boots, etc.–carried out by the local BMW shop, Irv Seaver’s, at a cost of $890 (or $274 for parts, $616 for labor). Even farming the work out, I’d have still been under our mythical $1000 limit if the stock, non-rebuildable shock hadn’t given up the ghost. Progressive Suspension to the rescue with one of its Series 420s; a trifle expensive at $450 but the Damper of the Gods out on Pacific Coast Highway. Airhead aficionados tell me the older G/S is something of a cult machine, going for as much as $3000. Doesn’t really matter to me–this one’s not for sale.

The Chinese bike, the 2004 Morgen’s M/C Trail Master 200, that Brian Catterson was riding. This is a brand new 2005 bike just imported into the United States. The Cycle World decided to test it out. It didn't fair so well. More on that later....

pashnit is offline   Reply With Quote