Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arizona...quick day ride

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Bike(s)
    07 BMW R1200R

Thumbup Arizona...quick day ride

Gary had to go to Phoenix to work last week and i decided after finding a cheap fare,to join in for part of the week. We rented bikes and got together with Renee (Backmarker) and friends for a day of riding. GREAT IDEA!

We gathered early at AZride, a bike rental agency in Scottsdale, that had wonderful bikes for rent. They also set up ride tours for visitors and provided maps and whatever one may need for a moto-trip around the Southwest. We only had a day to do this so Renee and Bruce plotted out a nice ride around the area covering about 250+ miles.

The morning began with a chilly start and a brutal taste of reality for moi. I had rented a Weestrom for Gary and R1200RT for me. Upon pickup and after being bombarded with horror stories of renters that didn't even make it out of the AZRide parking lot without dropping the RT, I was scared "sh**less". I know I am NOT supposed to listen to the horror stories but afterwards I wanted no part of the RT. I couldn't even bring myself to ride it out of the parking lot. I know the two owners were inside taking bets on how long it would take me to either leave on the bike or return it for another model. Gary, a picture of patience that day, asked me if i would feel better riding the weestrom. I honestly didn't know that I even wanted to ride GRRR....what a way to begin a day.

We ultimately switched bikes and within a few minutes on the road I was just fine (just as Gary predicted)...I enjoyed the heck out of the weestom!! Nice riding machine, quick and responsive as well! A bit tall, but not top heavy, weighing about 100lbs less than the full-dressed RT.

We had a marvelous time thanks to Renee, a great day had by all, even though it was a bit chilly, it was gloriously sunny and beautiful! Mental Note: next time bring the heated gear if before May!!

When do we go again????

Pix....from me...Pix by Gary later...

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment." Papa-Ken

Ride Like a Girl
    Travel Blog for Riders

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Bike(s)
    07 BMW R1200R

Re: Arizona...quick day ride

Balance of the pix. But nothing like some of the beauties Gary got riding the Aprilia the evening prior...now that is AZ at its best....look for um!!!

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment." Papa-Ken

Ride Like a Girl
    Travel Blog for Riders

Name
    Andrew
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha FJR1300 ATC, Suzuki DRZ400SM

Nice pics!
    "...and all that could not sink, or swim
    were just left there to float."
    --JG

Name
    Dale
    Bike(s)
    4wd Dual Sport

Very nice Donna, but now I'm home sick again!
    "The key to life is to die young, at a very old age"

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"

Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    '90 Kawasaki KLR 650

Awesome pics! I'm going to have to remember that place when I want to go into AZ and rent a bike. I just found out today that our best rental shop in Henderson just went out of business. There went my opportunity to ride an F650GS and a Ninja 650.

Glad to hear you liked the Wee. I loved mine, and miss it occasionally.

I know they really aren't on your radar at all, but have you considered a used 2004-2006 Sporty? If Lola is on one extreme at the cruiser end, and your Sprint is at the opposite end (tallish, heavyish sport-touring bike), then the Strom and the Sportster probably sit right in the middle.

The Strom has more power and is smoother, but is tall and a physically big bike. The Sportster is shorter on power, but a much more manageable size, a much lower seat height, but still far more cornering clearance and a good bit less "cruiserish" then Lola is.

The market is flooded with them, and you could pick up a really nice 1200R for $5,000 - 6,000 (from what I see here in Vegas and what I see on ebay anyway).

The Sportster isn't without its bumps and warts of course, but many of them were eliminated on the 2007 fuel-injected models.

There is a really nice Harley/Buell dealer in Reno on 395 between Mill and Plumb. When the weather warms (hopefully before June!) you might want to consider renting one for a day, just to see if it fits/suits you.

I do want to ride other bikes to see if I like them, but I'll be hard pressed to move on from the Sporty. I wish it shook a little less at idle. I wish it had a bit more power (easily fixed by moving up to a 1200 engine kit), but otherwise, it's actually the most comfortable bike of the five I've ridden to this point.

Take care,
    ~Mike

Name
    Larry
    Bike(s)
    FJR, Aprilia RSV R

Cool Donna, perhaps you've found a new love?? Looks as thought the thing with Nigel was just a fling.
    Ride Safe

If there are two ways to perceive what I just said, I meant the good way...

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    Changes weekly

Nice photos. They reminded me of the time I spent in the Phoenix area. That church in Sedona is something isn't it? It's really blends into the landscape. I'm not certain, but it looks like you even visited Jerome.
    "If you are not getting as much from life as you want to, then examine the state of your enthusiasm". Norman Vincent Peale

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    Harley Davidson 2003 Sportster 1200 Custom, 2006 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic

Donna, funny that you should ask, "when do we do it again"..... inside joke
    Bill (SklyWag)
    There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Playing the low notes 2 Ally House's Avatar
    Name
    Ally
    Bike(s)
    FZ1

Cool time! Thanks for sharing the stories and the pix!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither'
    Benj. Franklin

no role model MyLife on TwoWheels's Avatar
    Name
    Ray
    Bike(s)
    DL650, KLR650

Wow...Bates! Sweeet!!

Thread Information