Thread: CA-299 btw Redding and Arcata: traffic

Name
    Graeme
    Bike(s)
    vn1500n2l

CA-299 btw Redding and Arcata: traffic

Have done a bit of checking into CA-299 btw Redding and Arcata WRT traffic. Many riders have pointed out that there's traffic on CA-299 while CA-36 has very little, and suggest blowing off CA-299, which is often regarded as being more scenic, for that reason.

CA-299 definately has more traffic, which can be quite bad, during the summer weekends. However, weekday traffic isn't in the same category, and once west of Weaverville, it dwindles quite a bit.

The road is fairly wide so passing is easy which is a good thing, but the CHP has a branch office in Weaverville, and the CHP patrolling US-101 btw Eureka and McKinleyville also cover CA-299 to Redwood Creek.

At my end, we'll be riding west on CA-299 from Redding to Arcata on Monday, June 25th sometime after lunch.

Name
    Dave
    Bike(s)
    '06 Yamaha FZ1, 79 CBX, '04 WR450

Re: CA-299 btw Redding and Arcata: traffic

At that time of year 36 is gonna be hot, I think I'd take 299, especially if you are already in the Redding area: that said, if I was in Red Bluff I'd go 36.
    2006 FZ1
    2004 WR450
    1982 Ascot
    1979 CBX

Name
    Scott
    Bike(s)
    2009 Concours 14

We were on a group ride in August a few years ago and had a breakdown in Eureka. A few guys stayed behind with the broken down rider and the rest of us took 36 to Red Bluff and had a blast. Had to stop after going inland about 15 minutes because we were already getting too hot, since Eureka/Fortuna requires winter gear even during the summer. Anyway. After the brokedown rider got his bike into a Uhaul truck, the other riders made their way to 299 to catch up with us. They ended up beating us to the destination (we also went through Lassen, while they went around) because they said it was basically straight and boring.

299 may be more scenic, (I have never been on it to doubt that) but on 36, it's all about the ride.
    Scott Vonhof
    ----------------
    2009 Concours

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    '88 R100 GS + more

If you want scenery and time is flexible I would suggest taking Hwy 3 North from Hwy 36 and follow Hwy 3 to just before Etna, where you then take Sawyers Bar Rd West to/thru Forks of Salmon and over to Hwy 96 then down to Hwy 299. Then continue West on 299 to Arcata.

You could also take Cecilville Rd off of Hwy 3 just North of Callahan to get over to Sawyers Bar Rd.
    In fact, where Cecilville Rd meets Sawyers Bar it (Sawyers Bar Rd) changes to Salmon River Rd and your at the "Forks of Salmon" where the North and South Forks of the Salmon River come together.
    These roads are much smaller and much less traveled (less traffic) than 299 or 36.
    They verge on "goaty" in places.
    But the scenery is much much more stunning and memorable than either 36 or 299.

Discalimer... I prefer getting off the beaten path... even when that path is as sweet as Hwy 36.
    Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight!

Ride as if your life depended on it!

Name
    Graeme
    Bike(s)
    vn1500n2l

Quote Originally Posted by SVonhof
    <...> they said it was basically straight and boring.
    Haven't been on CA-299 btw Redding and Lassen NP, but imagine that's the straight and boring part. I recall a bud of mine onna Viffer doing 36-3-299-96 btw Red Bluff and Yreka ... he liked 299 best.

Quote Originally Posted by SVonhof
    299 may be more scenic, (I have never been on it to doubt that) but on 36, it's all about the ride.
    36 is, indeed, all about the ride thanks to the more challenging twisties and virtually no traffic whatsoever. It's just that I've done 36 several times, and would like to do 299 btw Weaverville and Willow Creek as I've never been on that section before.

Name
    Graeme
    Bike(s)
    vn1500n2l

Quote Originally Posted by m0t0-ryder
    If you want scenery and time is flexible I would suggest taking Hwy 3 North from Hwy 36 and follow Hwy 3 to just before Etna, where you then take Sawyers Bar Rd West to/thru Forks of Salmon and over to Hwy 96 then down to Hwy 299. Then continue West on 299 to Arcata.
    Right now, our Susanville to Arcata route for that Monday is 415 miles in 8:08 hours via 36-147-89-70-Durham Penz Rd-99-32-36-89-44-299.

We've done the 299-3-Cecilville Rd-Salmon River Rd-Somes Bar-96-299 loop ... never been on Sawyers Bar Rd.

These roads are much smaller and much less traveled (less traffic) than 299 or 36. They verge on "goaty" in places. But the scenery is much much more stunning and memorable than either 36 or 299.
    Especially while riding on that barely more than one-lane wide section with the river way down below.

Discalimer... I prefer getting off the beaten path... even when that path is as sweet as Hwy 36.
    Works for me unless the alternative is more for dirt donkers.

Thread Information