Thread: Moab UT

Moab UT

We're heading for Moab during mid May - any suggested dual sport rides would be appreciated - mildly technical but not suicidal appreciated - we'll be on Suzuki 650 DR's and KTM 950 Adventures -

Steve Berde
    Spokane WA

Re: Moab UT

Steve, when are you going to be there? We're heading that way after the Sopiago gathering and plan on doing some DS riding there. Maybe we could get together. I've found some GPS tracks from other sites for area around Moab. Let me know if you can use them.
    Norm

hi - will be there from May 20th departing the 26th - we're staying at the Adventure Inn -

Steve

I've spent a cumulative total of 4 - 5 months of my life in the Moab area, either rock climbing or mountain biking - Truly God's Country, IMHO!

This was a few years ago when I was in better shape (thus the bicycling and climbing) - I was willing to camp out to save a buck or two, so don't have any lodging recommendations-

Although I don't have any moto GS experience, I suspect that a GS ride with mild-moderate technical stuff would be similar to the same kind of mountain bike ride - anyone out there with knowledge of the two who could chime in?

If so, I'd recommend the white rim road in Canyonlands - it's a 100-mile loop through amazing canyon areas - if you're up for camping while on the trail, you'll need permits and reservations - not sure if a day trip (long day, probably) would require reservations, though - the trail was fully passable with a stock toyota 4X4 pickup - the trail isn't suicidal, and is extremely enjoyable! There are a few notch canyons to explore right off of the trail, and hiking opportunities as well...

You might want to contact the Park Service for more info:

http://www.nps.gov/cany/index.htm
    (Canyonlands)

I checked their website to see if motorcycles are allowed in the Parks, and this is the only thing I found:

Off-road Vehicles (ATV, OHV)
    Off-road vehicles are not permitted in the park. Possession or operation of a bicycle or motor vehicle off a designated road is prohibited. Motor bikes must be street legal. (I guess this means street-legal cycles are ok? )

Happy riding!

Brian
    The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's. - Mark Twain

Oooohhhh, Moab. My favorite place on earth. I have spent many a weekend there on my mountain bike, but never on a moto. (sorry, this post was useless, but I had to comment on Moab.) Anyway, have a blast out there!

Thread Information