Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 700 Miles on a Kawasaki Ninja 250 - A motorcyclist's review

Name
    Julie
    Bike(s)
    None at the moment

Re: 700 Miles on a Ninja 250 - A motorcyclist's review

Nice write up. I need a beginner type/ lightweight bike. Sounds like a great option for me. I had been wondering about the little ninja but wasn't sure. Thanks Tim, definitely food for thought.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

An interesting epilogue to this lil diddy I wrote up about the Kawasaki Ninja 250.

Got a inquiry from a Navy officer who's serving on an aircraft carrier, the USS Nimitz, in the Middle East right now. He's the safety officer for the ship, and is also a fellow rider (FJR). He relays that many of the service persons serving aboard the ship are likely to purchase motorcycles on their return home to San Diego in a few months.

They are going to take this article and photos about the Ninja 250, and add it into the ship's intranet as a permanent part of the motorcycling information available to the sailors, pilots, Marines, etc. He adds they'd like to do this to encourage those that might be new to motorcycling to start out slow (i.e. a Ninja 250) and work up in displacement over time.

Pretty cool! Never know who's reading this stuff!

Name
    Dale
    Bike(s)
    4wd Dual Sport

Dang Tim, when you put your thoughts and experience into text it sure gets around! Very cool!

I'm looking forward to Julie getting that little Ninja 250! I know some real tight goat trails to break it in on for her. Yes for her! Ok, I think I'll have some fun with it too!

Dale
    "The key to life is to die young, at a very old age"

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"

Name
    Russ
    Bike(s)
    750 Magna, XR650L, Ninja 250

Thumbup Re: 700 Miles on a Ninja 250 - A motorcyclist's review

That was, without a doubt, the best review I've ever read about the littlest Ninja. There was only one other positive one that I've read. I believe it was written by or with Bubba Shobert and he really liked it too. Most are relatively condescending, starter bike and all that. One of the quotes I remember from Bubba's test was that most beginners are never going to find the best part of the 250 because the fun doesn't start until about 7/10ths .

I think they are a hoot and I've been riding a long, long time. I ride for the grins and I've probably gotten more out of this bike then any other. Certainly on a grin per dollar ratio.

I bought mine in the early 90's because my XS1100 would not run well in the rain and I don't like cleaning rust off chrome. I bought the Ninja as a throw-away bad weather bike and got hooked. As I get older my bikes keep getting smaller, except the XR's got larger and I can't explain that. No reason paying for ability in a bike that I have no desire to test the limits of. And mom said I had no sense (she was right when she said it).

I've thrown it on the trailer with the dirt bikes and taken it all over Michigan to ride the back roads. I don't think I'd want to do 700 miles all at once but it was enough to make me realize I didn't need (or want) a larger sport bike.

Probably the best part of owning it is trying to explain it to onlookers. Almost everyone guesses it's a 600 because without a near by reference it's hard to tell how small it is. The "hard core" Harley types are the best. I've only had a few of them approach me about it but the result has been the same every time. They'll say something mildly derisive about it and I tell them it's a 250. They always stop, look again, and say they've never heard of one. I rattle off a few of the specs and they always end up begrudgingly giving it some little compliment that it's "kind of cool" or something like that. A miniature motorcycle gets them every time.

I've been riding it a lot more lately due to gas prices. It averages about 60 MPG. I have to travel 40 miles a day to work and back so it has paid for itself yet again. The other day at a light a guy on a BMW with softbags and some other gear on it stopped next to me. He's looking down about a foot and a half at me sitting there and you could just see "I remember Ninjas being a bit larger" on his face - priceless.

Excellent article - You 'da man

Name
    Damon
    Bike(s)
    2002 Honda CBR954RR

Pashnit,

I agree with everyone else; this was a great article. My wife has a Ninja 250, and I find myself riding it from time to time just for fun. You're right about how the bike is more than just a starter bike because it has some thrills hidden inside of its small package. The bike is so light that flicking it around is no work at all, and when the engine gets (and stays) above 8000 rpm, thats when the fun begins. Sure, there's no torque in the bottom end, but above 10,000 rpm, this bike does scoot along. If one is used to V-twins, getting used to high revs will take adjusting...sounds like a large hair dryer! I almost feel bad for those poor bikes because most never come close to reaching their full potential since so many riders are beginers that own them. In my opinion, a bike is a bike, and they all deserve respect. Kudos to Pashnit for bringing to light the attributes of one our smaller, yet perky members of the motorcycle family. Given the chance, ride this bike and find out what we're talking about.

Damon
    Damon Cooper

wrenchin' & ridin' Wrench_Whore's Avatar
    Name
    CW
    Bike(s)
    Zuma II

Ninja 250s ROCK.
    Spin it up and fan the shifter.
    Gone is the world of 'point and squirt' between corners.
    Enter the world of 'power band' and 'corner speed'.
    CW
    "dancin' the canyons in the pale moonlight"

Name
    Andrew
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki Ninja 250

Because Of This Article, I Am The Most Proudest 250 Rider On My Block. Ill Take Some Pictures Soon So All Of You Can See My 250 Too.

But Thanks Alot Of The Article.
    Makes Everyday Riding My Bike. Better.

chevegan

Great job as usual tim. Been following you for a few years now. I wanna say 4-5yrs but who knows, i guess I could look at paypal history and check when i sent you money Anyhow i rode one of these around about 4 years ago while shopping for bikes and I fell in love with it. I ended up buying a GPZ 1100. But that little 250 left a big impression on me. Trying to get my wife to ride day in and day out. She said she likes the rebel though i keep trying to get her to like this little ninja. In the end though it never matters what a husband thinks can't wait till your next review man.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    Changes weekly

Nothing wrong with having more than 1 bike is there?

Quote Originally Posted by CalifNative
    Let me introduce myself. I am the owner of the 250 Tim so eloquently described. I was happy to loan Tim my bike so that he could continue on this way. And the fact that he accepted demonstrated his professionalism and good nature.

This story brings a smile to my face, envy to my heart and a tear to my eye.

You see, I love Daisy, my little yellow Ninja. She carried me over 7000 miles in my first year of riding. From throughout the Santa Cruz Mountains, down to Coalinga and up into the Sierra's.

The one trip I did not take was down HW1 and into the California central coast where I attended college in SLO. But, my little yellow bike made the trip. And from Tim’s trip report, she had a good time, provider her rider with some fun as well as challenges and held her own against the big boys. You go Daisy!!

But alas, I have purchased a new bike and Daisy is for sale. But, I have to admit reading this report gives me pause. Maybe I’ll keep her and make that trip down the coast…….

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    Changes weekly

Great article. I have seen so many new riders who buy the biggest and baddest bike just for their image. They Also say that they are too big to ride a small bike. I can now refer them to this article.

Thread Information