Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: 700 Miles on a Kawasaki Ninja 250 - A motorcyclist's review

Name
    Arthur
    Bike(s)
    Street Triple

Re: 700 Miles on a Kawasaki Ninja 250 - A motorcyclist's review

This photo is not quite up to Pashnit's excellent standard, but it's the best I could do at the time.

Name:  scootertrog.jpg
Views: 4370
Size:  59.8 KB

Photo is a view from Route 125 high above Bull Shoals Lake looking into Missouri from Arkansas.

The 250 Ninja really shows what strengths it has in these hilly, twisty roads. We spent 5 hours on our 250's in this terrain today and they performed brilliantly. Prior to purchasing our first Ninja250, I had read this thread and was convinced it was the right bike for my wife to start out on. A few months later, I had mine as well.
    You can not go wrong with this bike - period.

scootertrog

Name
    Doc
    Bike(s)
    H-D V Rod

Great photo Scotertrog! I like the wheel treatment...good touch.
    Doc

Name
    Arthur
    Bike(s)
    Street Triple

Thanks Doc. I actually have a spare set of wheels at the powdercoater right now - going with green to match the bike.

scootertrog

Name
    Henry
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX10R

The new 250 Ninja is a 16 year old's dream come true!

2006 ZX10 Smart Bomb
    Seat cowl, 2CT Michelins, Gear Indicator, SpeedoHealer, ZeroG screen, A&R Race Baffles, Vortex Gearing -2/+3, Pazzo shorties, Helibars, ridden by Fadi.

Ninja convert
    Name
    Vic
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki 250 Ninja

Thanks Tim, well-written article with good insights and info. I traded my Piaggio Fly 150 in for a 250 Ninja after I read your article.

Speaking of which, here is a comparison, for what it's worth:

Piaggio Fly 150 (more or less same thing as Vespa 150):

Excellent transportation for around town. If you were living in Rome or Milan or Paris or Athens you couldn't ask for better wheels! Very smooth automatic transmission -- no clutch, no gears to shift, just point the thing where you want to go and go. Very snappy performance up to 45 mph -- gets there in no time. Get on, start it, go -- no choke, no warm up needed. Small wheels & wheelbase = VERY maneuverable around town. And your helmet fits in the lockable compartment under the seat -- very convenient!

But alas, not a road bike in my opinion. I rode it from Santa Barbara to Ojai over the mountains a few times with pedal to the metal, faster cars piling up behind and the Sunday Ducati gang snapping at my heels on the 2-lane highway -- not good! The same small wheels and wheelbase that make the FLY 150 perfect for around town make it unstable at higer speeds on the highway and open roads, especially BUMPY country roads. Not a good idea to ride these smaller scooters on the freeway, though I see people doing it.

2007 NINJA 250:

At first a difficult conversion from the Fly 150! Now you have to shift up and down 6 gears before and after every red light -- and you can't go from 6th gear to neutral either! Definitely not as docile/maneuverable as the Fly 150 in town. Definitely took some getting used to at first!

Ah, but what a difference on the open road! Sort of like mild-mannered Clark Kent bellow 5000 and Superman above -- say SHAZZZAAAAM at 11,000 !

Definitely glad I traded in the Fly 150!

--Vic

Name
    Brian
    Bike(s)
    1989 Kawsaki Ninja 250R/2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

I plan on taking a closer look at the new Ninja 250 when it arrives at my local dealer in late January or early February.
    "There is nothing more offensive than striving so hard not to offend anyone.." ~ Scott Wyler

Name
    Doug
    Bike(s)
    2008 Hayabusa

Very cool write up Tim!

I'm toying with the idea of getting an 08 250R for a commuting toy. I currently have an 08 Busa (sold the FJR), and love the torque. It corners beautifully, but the 250R looks like it would be an absolute blast in the corners. Definitely a small bike to check out when it hits the streets in the US.

Name
    David
    Bike(s)
    2011 Ninja 1000

Clearly a great read, Tim.

I suggest you sticker this article to the Becoming a Better Rider thread.

It would be an excellent service to the riding community at large, and to new riders in particular, spreading the word about smaller displacement bikes also having the sought after grin factor.

After reading how great the bike handled on the goat trails, I am seriously thinking that this might be the new way to go for me here in Thailand (especially since the bike is manufactured here too!).
    It does not matter where you start.

Kinda new round here
    Name
    Miles
    Bike(s)
    I want A Ninja 250r

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hester View Post
    The new 250 Ninja is a 16 year old's dream come true!

HaHa Thats so true. Im looking for my first bike(im 16) and i had decided on the susuki gs500 mostly becuase i didnt like the style of the ninja. But i fell in love with the 08 im so pumped. It dosnt hit the dealerships around here til march. Is that normal for minnesota? Thanks

Name
    Christopher
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha FZ6 '07

It was fun to read your article!

I have been a bike lover since I was old enough to sit on one, and go for rides with my father. Now, I'm finally nearing the end of my 7 years of university and will be purchasing a bike this coming spring (yay!). Since I am still in school, I have decided to get a ninja 250 very recently because I just saw what the updated prices have been. Last year, the lilninja was hardly cheaper than the 650 here in Canada, so now that the dollar has been doing well, the prices have dropped (as I think someone had mentioned) and it has become possible to finally own a bike! I'm just so excited. I've been a regular browser here for quite a while checking out photo's and all the stories.

I'm going to be getting the orangeish/reddy 250 as well as a new pipe and a few other cheaper upgrades as well. It is a wee bike, but the insurance is WAY cheaper than my 1987 GTI and the small payments from financing - the bike will pay for itself after a few years. My friend bought a zzr650 last year and we are already planning trips to northern BC as well as trips down to oregon and hopefully as far to socal (as I have family all over socal).

I just re-read this article and all the posts again and I probably shouldn't because spring just can't come fast enough!!!!

Thread Information