Thread: Dual Sport Ride this Sunday 6/10/07 in Bass Lake

Go'n some place new...... 2on2off's Avatar
    Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

Dual Sport Ride this Sunday 6/10/07 in Bass Lake

Three of us will be meeting and leaving from the Valero Gas Station in Reedley next to the Carl's Jr. at 7:00 a.m.

We will leave Reedley at 7:00 a.m. and ride to Humphrey Station, Auberry and stop in North Fork to top off our gas tanks. We will then ride trails and fire roads in the Bass Lake area and probably start somewhere near Central Camp road.

My guess is that we will be in North Fork approx. 8:30 a.m. where we will hit the trails or get some breakfast, if there is any to be had in North Fork.

There is no route established yet for the trails we will be riding in Bass Lake as I will be following two other riders who will be on dual sported XR650R's.

I am told the trails we will be riding are for intermediate to advanced riders and that is why I will be on my dual sported WR450F instead of my XR650L. I'm getting a new Corbin seat for my WR this week just for this ride.

If you are interested in joining us from Reedley or want to meet us at Humphrey Station, Auberry or North Fork and join in for all or part of the ride, let me know and we will look for you but probably not wait long for you as I don't know exactly when we will be in the above locations.

If you do want to join, let me know what kind of bike you will be on and we will look for you.
    I came to ride and ride and ride and ride............

Name
    Gail
    Bike(s)
    2005 BMW R1200GS 2004 KTM 450mxc

Re: Dual Sport Ride this Sunday 6/10/07 in Bass Lake

Hi Jim!

You even planned it on a Sunday! Unfortunately of all the days...... I will be at a kids birthday party. My best buddy Brian's twins trun 5 on Sunday. I just can't miss it as I am their "crazy uncle Gail".

That ride sounds great. I hope we get to do some off roading sometime soon!

See Ya
    Gail
    Let's Ride!

Name
    Dave
    Bike(s)
    '06 Yamaha FZ1, 79 CBX, '04 WR450

Hey Jim, don't forget your PLB just in case!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of us from Redding are leaving early Friday morning and riding dual sports to the coast, stay the night and ride back on Saturday. I'm thinking a bit over 500 miles for two days on the dirt. Have fun. I'm taking my WR450.
    2006 FZ1
    2004 WR450
    1982 Ascot
    1979 CBX

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG
    Hey Jim, don't forget your PLB just in case!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of us from Redding are leaving early Friday morning and riding dual sports to the coast, stay the night and ride back on Saturday. I'm thinking a bit over 500 miles for two days on the dirt. Have fun. I'm taking my WR450.
    What is a PLB???

Here is a picture of my new Corbin seat for my WR. It measures 11" wide and I opted for leather top so I should be comfortable on my ride. From the side it looks like any other seat but when you sit on it, it is much more comfortable than the stock seat or the Guts Racing Seats I have tried in the past. I'll give it a good test this Sunday.

I have to say Corbin was outstanding to work with. I was able to sit on the seat and make changes to it before it was completed and that made a big difference. I'm also very happy with the Corbin I bought for my XR650L. What a difference a "wide seat" makes when dual sporting!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

By the way, Corbin will make the seat any size or width you want. A narrower seat probably looks better but when I am 150 miles and 6 hours into a dual sport ride, I care alot more about comfort than the way the bike looks when it is parked!!!

So far, my XR650L seat has been great with no discomfort even after 6 hours in the saddle. I'm hoping for the same will be true with the new seat for my WR. I my experience, uncomfortable stock seats have been the biggest detriment for me in dual sport riding.

While at Corbin with tape measure in hand, I noticed most of the Cruiser seats they were making were all from 11 inches to 15 inches wide. My BMW R1150RT Comfort Seat was about 13" wide and it was very comfortable to me.

Name
    Don
    Bike(s)
    07 DL650 V-strom

Hey Jim, would love to hook up with you for a ride sometime this Summer. Unfortunately the 10th is my 7th wedding anniversary, no way to get any riding in this weekend. Can't wait to see the pics from this ride though.

Don Hopkirk

Name
    Dave
    Bike(s)
    '06 Yamaha FZ1, 79 CBX, '04 WR450

Quote Originally Posted by 2on2off
    What is a PLB???

Here is a picture of my new Corbin seat for my WR. It measures 11" wide and I opted for leather top so I should be comfortable on my ride. From the side it looks like any other seat but when you sit on it, it is much more comfortable than the stock seat or the Guts Racing Seats I have tried in the past. I'll give it a good test this Sunday.

I have to say Corbin was outstanding to work with. I was able to sit on the seat and make changes to it before it was completed and that made a big difference. I'm also very happy with the Corbin I bought for my XR650L. What a difference a "wide seat" makes when dual sporting!!!!!!!
    Personal Locating Beacon...in case you get lost!!

Great seat, I sure could have used on this weekend, over 500 miles in two days on a stock WR seat and my butt is sore. Spent a lot of time on day two standing up.

Hope your ride was good, ours was..search Shelter Cove.
    2006 FZ1
    2004 WR450
    1982 Ascot
    1979 CBX

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

The Corbin seat on my WR passed the test with flying colors!!!!

We rode for 12 hours for a total of 260 miles yesterday. We started at 7:00 a.m. and I got home about 7:00 p.m. We rode 160 miles on-road and 100 miles off-road.

About 3/4 into the ride, one of the other riders wanted to check out my Corbin seat and the WR450. We switched bikes for about 45 minutes, I seemed forever, and I rode his XR650R with a stock seat. I couldn't wait to get back on my WR and the Corbin seat. Just 45 min. on the stock XR650R seat was a killer and it just confired to me that an 11" wide seat is just the ticket for this type of a ride.

I'll post a ride report later.

Name
    Gail
    Bike(s)
    2005 BMW R1200GS 2004 KTM 450mxc

Hurry Jim!

Inquiring minds can't wait to see some pics, map screenshot and a GPS route file attached!

-Gail
    Let's Ride!

Thread Information