Bruce
    Bike(s)
    Suzuki VStrom - K6 - DL1k - Red

BC Big Trailie Ride 2007

Thursday, June 21 2007
    Weather: Rain, Sun & Cloud
    Mileage: 262 kms

Background

The BC Big Trailie Ride is organized by two members of the Adventure Riders website http://www.advrider.com

It's an annual (this was the second) event, designed for big dual-sport bikes, riding both on and off road some of the best places BC has to offer.

This year there was 21 riders from BC, Alberta, Washington and Oregon. There were three women, and 18 guys. All the women were riding GS650's.
    The bikes were a mix of BMW GS 650's (3), 1150's (LOTS) & 1200's (2), HP2's (2), V-Strom DL1000's (many), one DL650, one KLR and a Buell Ulysses.

Thursdays ride was basically three of us heading up from the Lower Mainland to Merrit to meet up with the rest of the riders.

I met up with Bario & Dirty Curves for lunch in Port Coquitlam, and then rode up to Merritt.

Bario & Dirty Curves fueling up for the trip

(I didn't have to gas up the Vstrom because we all know how fuel efficient, and what big tanks they have... That, and I gassed up in Burnaby 10 kms before!)

The ride up to Merritt was pretty uneventful, a little wet, but not bad. There are no pictures from the ride up. We could see rain in the distance when we approached Harrison Hot Springs, so we suited up in our raingear. We "chased" the rain, but never caught up to it. It was very hot when we got to Merrit.

When we got up there, some of the crowd were already there.

And where better to get aquainted than the local pub?

Suzuki VStrom - K6 - DL1K - Red

Name
    Bruce
    Bike(s)

Friday - Day 1 - Part 1

Friday, June 22 2007
    Weather: Mostly cloudy
    Location: Merritt, Brookmere, Tulameen, Coalmont, Princeton, Summerland & Oliver
    Mileage: 308 kms

The first official day of the BC Big Trailie Ride dawned cloudy, and stayed that way for most of the day.

People getting their bikes ready for the day ahead.

"Slug-87" and "Dirty Curves" had their mascots close to hand.

The road to our starting point was paved an enchantingly twisty - a great way to start the day.

The group deciding which way to ride - The Brookmere logging road or the KVR.

Being new to off-road riding I chose what I thought was the lesser of two evils - the logging road. Boy, was that a mistake!

3000 kms and not a scratch on the bike!

3002kms and quite a few scratches!

(No pics of the bike on the ground - I had other things on my mind at the time!)

THe root of all gravel road inspired evils - the grader. (I crossed the burm the grader blade made three times. The first two were a little twitchy. The third was too much and I dropped it at low speed.)

After finishing the logging road ride, we joined up with the people that took the KVR.

And then jumped back on the KVR for the next section of the journey.

The only ugly part of it was where a flood had washed out some of the railbed. I made it through this okay, but dropped it in a little gravel? Sheesh!

From there we carried on to Princeton, where we meet a guy, his wife, and his dog on the way to Manitoba. You meet the nicest people on Motorcycles.

Name
    Bruce
    Bike(s)

Friday - Day 1 - Part 2

Carrying on, I discovered when I dropped the bike, the Givi Side case had it's locking mechanism broken. Duct tape to the rescue! (Side note - I wound up replacing the duct tape with Zap Straps later.)

We carried on down a gravel road...

And regrouped at a bridge...

Across a stream...

And we carried on from there to our final destination for the day, a hotel in Oliver, BC. Oliver is known as the Wine capital of BC...

Three of us carried on to the Burrowing Owl Vineyard to pick up some fine consumables...

Adventure Rider - Ride the World - One Vineyard at a time!

Canuck enjoying the view.

Canuck : "Stop taking pictures, willya? This is cutting intro my drinking time!"

It can be a lonely life as an Adventure Rider...

I guess I have time for one last stop on the way back to the hotel...

Name
    Bruce
    Bike(s)

Saturday - Day 2

Saturday, June 23 2007
    Weather: Mostly Sunny & hot, turning cloudy & cool by Penticton.
    Location: Osoyoos, Anarchist Mountain, Bridesville, Rock Creek, Westbridge, Kelowna, KVR to Chute Lake and down to Penticton
    Mileage: 281 kms

The day starts out with another parking lot full of bikes...

The view over Osoyoos lake

Goat-boy taking a photo

This is the group photo taken at this location by Bruno ("Slug-87")

After the twisty roads, we jumped back on the KVR (Kettle Valley Railroad, if I haven't mentioned that.)

For some of the best "close in" scenery yet.

Proceeding on from there, we went to Manxman's place in Kelowna and took over his 'hood'.

I must put in a special word of thanks to Manxwoman for feeding all 21 of us - what a great thing to do.

After lunch I parted ways with the group, and visited my niece before meeting up with the group again at our final destination for the day, Penticton.

I gave up this (Stolen from Slug-87) :

To spend time here instead.

I met up with the group again in Penticton, where once again we took over the parking lot. There was already a cruiser there, and we parked around it. When I took this picture, I couldn't help singing "One of these things is not like the others - one of these things just doesn't belong..."

Name
    Bruce
    Bike(s)

Re: BC Big Trailie Ride 2007

BC Big Trailie Ride 2

Sunday, June 24 2007
    Weather: Sun, cloud, rain, hail, sun, hail, sun, cloud, rain, sun, cloud, rain, sun, rain. (Gotta love BC weather.)
    Location: Penticton, Keremeos, Apex Alpine Ski Resort, the “Nickleplate” road, Princeton, Burnaby.
    Mileage: 447 kms

The day starts out with another parking lot full of bikes...

Following more twisty roads we met up at the base of Apex-Alpine, where the group split into two, the adventuresome souls that went up the infamous "goat trail", and the rest of us that took the road up there.

Here we are deciding which way we are going, and suiting up in our rain gear. (Good thing too - the weather that we ran into going up the hill was just plain ugly. Sheeting rain and hail. Ick. Then, up on the top, the sun came out again. It was a cycle that repeated itself several times that day.)

When we got to the top of the Apex, Manxman discovered he had a flat tire, and a bunch of us gathered to see if we could figure out how his newfangled patch kit worked.

When the two groups reassembled (and Manxman fixed his flat) we carried on up the mountain. The (clay?) road surface was as slippery as Vaseline, and I just didn't feel comfortable stopping to take a picture of the hail that pelted us until we crossed over to the other side, and were presented with this sight:

And another view up the valley, before we tacked the road down.

Finally, we met up in Princeton for one last group lunch before we each went our separate ways.

After lunch, I jumped on the highway and headed home, into some of the worst weather I have *ever* ridden in. No pictures from that part of the trip either. It was nice to get home, but I can't wait to go on the BC Big Trailie Ride 3, next year...

Over and over again I am reminded that you meet the nicest people on motorcycles... From people I have just met on the roads, to people off of the various motorcycle sites I have met. The group I was riding on this was as diverse as you could get, and every one of them was a great person.

I was new to Adventure riding, but I was made to feel at home, and no one complained that I was quite often last. (Hey - it gave them a longer rest!)

Throughout this ride I was pushed beyond my comfort zone for (it seemed like) hours on end... But that comfort zone kept expanding. Thanks to the people I was with, the varied grounds we covered, I feel like my riding skills have advanced to the next level. The bottom rung of the next level, maybe, but a whole different place from where I was before I began this.

Here's just a sampling of random photos.

If you are interested in more information, the build up thread is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199686

And the post ride reports are here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242441

...riding California... eye.surgeon's Avatar
    Name
    Rod
    Bike(s)
    Ducati Multistrada

Looks like a real adventure. I used to live in BC many years ago and did some riding on my first bike, a Honda Interceptor.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    thingy with 2 jugs

Awwww MAN!!! What a great trip!!! Is it always in June? I would love to consider this run, but there's also the Crazy Ride (See thread). So many choices......

The KVR run looks very interesting. Such beautiful territory. I miss it!
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Name
    Bruce
    Bike(s)

I think last year it was later in the month. Next year, who knows? But they are already planning one for next year, with the possible change of doing day rides out of a central location, rather than packing everything with you everywhere you go... That can only be a good thing!

It was an amazing trip!

- BCB.

Quote Originally Posted by kluts
    Awwww MAN!!! What a great trip!!! Is it always in June? I would love to consider this run, but there's also the Crazy Ride (See thread). So many choices......

The KVR run looks very interesting. Such beautiful territory. I miss it!

Thread Information