Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Please: F650GS vs DL650 vs KLR650

Name
    Bruce
    Bike(s)
    '08 BMW R1200RT

Question Mark Opinions Please: F650GS vs DL650 vs KLR650

Greetings All,

Been a while since my last post. Been busy riding, etc. Anyway, am currently dreaming about adding one of the three bikes listed to my garage as a commuter/forest service road exploration unit. No big hurry on my part, just looking for experience from those of you that actually ride these motorcycles. For me, I've not ridden any of them. My very first motorcycle was an '83 XL600R. (Long ago and far away...) Here's what I think I've learned from surfing the web:

*KLR650: Great bang for the buck. Perhaps a bit underpowered in stock trim?

*F650GS: Pricey, decent HP&Torque for a one-lunger, reasonable seat height. Lower ground clearance than the other two.

*DL650: Great bang for the buck. More power & torque due to being a twin? Actually sat on one of these and like the feel in the showroom.

Any experience shared would be greatly appereciated.

Bruce
    Life, liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    05 HD Heritage. 08 KLR 06 BMW 1200GS

Re: Opinions Please: F650GS vs DL650 vs KLR650

Just went thru the same process....I went 08 KLR....so far so good...have already ordered a Corbin seat, stock is lame.....My reasoning, in no order, 1) KLR has been around for 21 years 2) I hear they will no longer be making BMW 650's 3) BMW dealerships not real plentiful 4) KLR seemed a great value 5) KLR seemed a better compromise of street/dirt..BMW better street & DL650 better dirt......Time will tell...I don't think you could make a bad choice as all three have rabid supporters...be sure to check out klrforum.com....Good luck

Correction: I looked at the Honda XR650 and meant that instead of the DL650...I looked at the DL650 but it seemed way to civilized for offroading for me....I'll go back out in the orchard now........

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    1150RT 640ADV Rally200

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_Almighty
    *KLR650: Great bang for the buck. Perhaps a bit underpowered in stock trim?

*F650GS: Pricey, decent HP&Torque for a one-lunger, reasonable seat height. Lower ground clearance than the other two.

*DL650: Great bang for the buck. More power & torque due to being a twin? Actually sat on one of these and like the feel in the showroom.

Any experience shared would be greatly appereciated.

Bruce
    What you've done already, is list them in order of off-road worthy-ness. Or... They're in reverse order for commuting comfort. The more you gain by riding a bike that's better for off-road, the more you lose for riding it on-road.

The KLR 650 is like riding a tractor, but it's durable like one. They run forever once the dohickey is fixed. They vibrate in both the handlebars and footpegs, have decent power, are reasonably efficient for a carburated bike and are all around decent performers no matter where you point the front wheel. They don't call 'em the "swiss army knife of motorcycles" for nothing. Don't know much about the new ones, but from what I've seen, I think you'll be in for more $$$$ if you knock it over.

I owned a 650GS for a long time. It's okay off the pavement, but not for riding tight trails or very rough roads. It's ground clearance is the primary limitation, then the weight. If you're going to be off the road a lot, get a Dakar model for the extra height and 21" front hoop. On the road, for say commuting or riding to Argentina, it's a beast. Fully loaded at 75 MPH all day without a complaint- and relatviely comfortable at that too. The fuel injection pretty much eliminates the effects of temperature and alititude on the engine, while getting PHENOMINAL gas milage under most conditions. The rotax engine is a gem. I rode the snot out of mine for 36,000 miles and it never needed anything more than regualr maintinence. Small tank, but good range.

I've not ridden a DL650. My obersavations of the bike are as follows: Mag wheels will be more stiff and suseptable to off road damage than spokes. Low ground clearance. (Really, all the manufacutrers should jack up anything they suspect their customers might take off the road.) Needs a bash plate, does it come with one? Metal side panels=dents if you drop it. However, I have heard nothing but excellent reports on the engine, and ridability of the bike. Everyone I know who owns one likes it. Most of them also have dents in the metal side panels where they've dropped it while riding in the dirt.

Name
    Drew
    Bike(s)
    2002 DR650SE

Dr650?

Name
    Paul
    Bike(s)
    KTM 990

I loved my 650 Dakar. I did not like the $1,000 service at 6,000 miles, nor did I like any of the $2,000 services from 12,000 to 48,000 miles.

I guess you have to keep in mind that I added about $6,000 worth of bags, suspension, luggage, gas tanks etc. to a $7,000 bike. And I rode the bike hard... I guess that's a clear picture. I am sure if I had bought a KLR in the first place I would still 'wanted to move up' to a BMW.

My next dual sport will be a KLR unless I win money-to-burn in a lottery.

Name
    Andrew
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha FJR1300 ATC, Suzuki DRZ400SM

I rode the DL650, a friend's, on the twisties for about 15 minutes. It was a lot of fun. I know he loves it. I am new to forrest service roads coming from street experience only. My DRZ400 is really fun to throw around even when the roads get rough

I think the DL650 will be my next bike. (to compliment the DRZ and FJR) but maybe to replace the DRZ...not sure.
    "...and all that could not sink, or swim
    were just left there to float."
    --JG

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    thingy with 2 jugs

Since you have a KLT for the road, seems to me you would want a bike that is not "mostly road" oriented.

The big three (KawaSuHonda) make great bikes for your needs. The KLR is indeed a jack of all trades but it doesn't do the whacko stuff the DL and the Honda can. But that may matter very little in the long run.

Most DS riders are forest and dirt road riders, not single track bombers. A DL400 or smaller bike is better suited for that. A 650 can take what you need with you. KLR's have a huge inventory of aftermarket goodies you can bolt on -- extra blades for that Army Knife of a bike. That might tip your hand should you plan on camping.

If your ONLY bike would be a 650, I'd look at a BMW GS, maybe. But you have this mile eater sitting in your garage for those big panorama National Park-bagging trips. So go with the best price/dealer that a Japanese bike can offer you... You just can't go wrong.
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    thingy with 2 jugs

Since you have a KLT for the road, seems to me you would want a bike that is not "mostly road" oriented.

The big three (KawaSuHonda) make great bikes for your needs. The KLR is indeed a jack of all trades but it doesn't do the whacko stuff the DL and the Honda can. But that may matter very little in the long run.

Most DS riders are forest and dirt road riders, not single track bombers. A DRZ400 or smaller bike is better suited for that. A 650 can take what you need with you. KLR's have a huge inventory of aftermarket goodies you can bolt on -- extra blades for that Army Knife of a bike. That might tip your hand should you plan on camping.

If your ONLY bike would be a 650, I'd look at a BMW GS, maybe. But you have this mile eater sitting in your garage for those big panorama National Park-bagging trips. So go with the best price/dealer that a Japanese bike can offer you... You just can't go wrong.
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Name
    Terry
    Bike(s)
    BMW F650GS

I was looking at the same three bikes (as well as used 1100GS and DL1000) and ended up buying a used 2005 F650GS with only 644 miles on it. Here are a couple observations I have to some of the postings so far dealing with the F650GS. One, the rumor of the bike being discountinued seems to be just that, a rumor. On the 'Chain Gang' site (f650.com), some one actually called BMW North America and they said the bike was not discountinued. Time will tell. Secondly, if you are adept mechanically, you can bypass the stiff BMW charges by servicing the bike yourself. Just about anything you would want to do to the bike is documented on the Chain Gang site. They also have some free DVDs available. The other two bikes also have all sorts of service pointers online as well at various sites.

Since the bike is new to me and it's my first bike in about 20 years, my dirt miles are pretty low for now. I have been on dirt four times since getting my bike a little over a month ago. The longest was about 10 miles of easy forest service road. The most challenging was about 2 miles with stretches of gravel, sand, and rocks. I had no problems and the bike handled as expected. Most of my miles (a little over 1000 miles in a month) have been commuter miles, riding to and from destinations on all sorts of roads, and goatier roads (my favorite). The only problems have been due to my size. I am 6'3" and I get a lot of buffeting at highway speeds. I really like the bike, but I think I could have been just as happy with the DL650. If I did more dirt riding and less tavelling to get to my adventures, the new KLR would've probably been my choice.

Check out my postings for pictures of the bike and some of the type of rides I enjoy. I have two threads I started that were all pavement (Wishon and Courtright, Sunset Ride - Jose Basin/Redinger Lake) and one group ride posting in the DS section started by LawDawg on Rancheria Road that had several miles of dirt. On that trip were 2 F650GS, 2 1150GS, one KLR, one TransAlp, and one X-Country. They all handled the trip with no problems.
    Terry

"...a traveler must fly on the wings of imagination, like Quixote, fuelled by the fantasies of a lifetime."
    -Ted Simon in Riding High

Havehandlebarswillrideit jimfix93675's Avatar
    Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    BMWR80ST,XR650R,

I am taking a KLR 650 to Dead Horse Alaska from Reedley CA. Very dependable, durable, bulletproof bike. Cheap to buy, tons of after market stuff to make the bike how you like it. Slow and underpowered, but it will get you there. I have been able to flog it 12 hours a day, most of the time WFO and just keeps on going. I am carrying alot of gear also. If I drop it, I just pick it up with little damage too.........not so with the Beemer or DL...........just depends on your riding needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thread Information