Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: ATGATT is worthless

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar

Re: ATGATT is worthless

Quote Originally Posted by doobalies
    On those days were my mind is not in top form, I don't ride... On those days I feel really good, I'll conciously push my personal envelope a bit (risk/reward analysis). We all do it, whether it is conscious or not.
    Well said Brian and exactly why the stats are as they are. Risk management...that is what it is all about.

And as to the title Jim, i am getting it now.
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment." Papa-Ken

Ride Like a Girl
    Travel Blog for Riders

Quote Originally Posted by flying_hun
    ...Good reminder that gear does not relieve us of the need to exercise judgment. Thanks,
    Amen. Lost a relative from lack of use of what Jim/others call the most important piece of gear, the brain.

Thanks for the post and leave the title alone.
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

I like the honda ads you see in the magazines they put it best. STUPID HURTS

By no means do I operate under a thin veiled cloud that leather is going to save me from some horrific incident nor does it give me confidence to ride beyond my skill. I do know it will protect my skin, hands, feet and head in most cases. Though I have a huge threshold for pain tolerance, I don't think it would be something I'd want to test. (yeah, ruptured appendix and almost kicked it in 05, next time, GO to the hospital)

I'm terribly sorry for your loss and completely understand your thoughts however. My thoughts and prayers are with all.

Aim
    We all have big changes in our lives that are more or less a second chance. ~Harrison Ford

Unconventional rebel uncon. rebel's Avatar

In the UK we have a govt determined to nanny us to death, so to speak. Despite ever increasing use of speed cameras, safety initiatives etc... things aint getting better, why?

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) in contrast advocates the theory of risk compensation. Everyone has an accetable level of perceived risk, the safer they feel the more risks they take, wearing all the gear, riding with your headlight on, ABS brakes, all make you feel safer, so you compensate by riding faster/with less concentration. The higher the percieved risk, the safer the riding. i.e. if you drive a car with bad brakes, no seat belt and a sharpened metal stake in the steering wheel you will drive more carefully.

This theory helps to explain why safety laws, like helmet regulations, make far less difference than they ought to. I suspect that riders with all the gear subconciously ride faster & take more risks than riders without only, as pointed out, all the gear doesn't help when you hit something hard. So good people die.
    Ride Free

Playing the low notes 2 Ally House's Avatar

Loki, thanks for the post, and the thought it provokes. Most of my opinions have already been stated, as usual, more eloquently than I could. Cain't fix stupid.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither'
    Benj. Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit66
    Heck, even driving a car at that speed, I would not expect to make it alive.
    --
    Eric
    Exactly my point.

As for the title, it was my intent to grab your attention. The title and the story is a warning. When you're being stupid on a motorcycle, how much protection can ATGATT provide compared to all the steel on a car?

Maybe it's the motorcycle races we watch. We see the racers do triple digit speeds. Sometimes they crash and usually they walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by shshanks
    Sad to hear about your friend, Jim.

The bottomline message I gleaned is this:

ATGATT, like everything, has its limits. Don't push them.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Maybe it's the motorcycle races we watch. We see the racers do triple digit speeds. Sometimes they crash and usually they walk away.
    The tracks are built for that type of riding, the streets are not.
    "Ride like you own the road, and oneday the road will own you", sad but true.
    "The key to life is to die young, at a very old age"

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    Jim, I'm so sorry for the loss of a friend... this has been a situation that has come about recently when I've been leading rides and such... some call me a wuss when I say triple-digit speeds aren't appropriate for public roads... I don't really care if I'm a "wuss"... I am proud of my wussdom... your story illustrates my point, unfortunately... I wish more people would listen... many won't but maybe a few will and, for that, it will be worth it for those few... thanks for taking the time to share your story... rip to your friend and peace to family and friends.
    Thank you Tyler Wuss.

I had similar "wuss" thoughts whenever I rode with you. Seriously Tyler, you are not only an excellent rider, you're also a smart one.

Thread Information