Thread: Solo Ride to Dead Horse Day 11 KLR Hiccups

Havehandlebarswillrideit jimfix93675's Avatar
    Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    BMWR80ST,XR650R,

Solo Ride to Dead Horse Day 11 KLR Hiccups

After a fantastic breakfast, I packed up all my wet camping gear and stuffed it into my water proof "dry" bags and started our trek back to Fairbanks. The Dalton High Way or Haul Road as the locals call it is 1000 miles of pounding jarring two lane gravel/dirt/mud/sometimes paved road that is owned by the big rigs that fly to and from to Prudhoe Bay and Fairbanks. Everything that can be trucked their goes up the Haul Road. Most of the truckers try to be curteous but my knee still hurts from the golf ball size rock kicked up by a truck!

The road took it's toll on my KLR and the Goldwing. My KLR's "better" aluminum radiator fan lost all its blades. It just spins cooling nothing. I am okay if I just keep moving. Also my chain went South in the Far North and then destroyed my new Sprocket Specialties anodized al. sprocket. Note to self.....never use an aluminum rear sprocket again and a long tour. The Goldwing has a punctured radiator overflow tank and numerous dents in the belly pan.

We stopped at the Hotspot for coffee. The Hotspot is a cool place to eat a burger and there is a gift shop for the all important sticker! The weather was a bit warmer and got warmer as we worked back into Fairbanks.

I limped back into Fairbanks with half of my rear sprocket teeth missing. I hope the local Kawi dealership has a chain and a set of sprockets. Plus a radiator fan would be nice. Right now I can't continue.........

My next destination is Homer. It's a full days ride from Fairbanks. I hope to be moving in that direction sometime tomorrow.

Held up in Fairbanks............Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Thread Information