Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: In Search of Bigfoot

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    *** Pending ***

Artist Painting In Search of Bigfoot

Every so often, I get the itch to be on the road. Spring and fall in northern California are my favorite times to ride. Spring brings out the greens of meadows and trees, and all the colors and fragrance of wildflowers, and everything is clean and fresh. The beauty of riding is that every new smell in the air immediately fills the olfactories and makes me an integral part of my surroundings. Fall displays another sensory feast, this time for the eyes. Reds, yellows, and oranges abound and seem to swallow me up so that I feel like Iím part of a huge painting that belongs over someoneís livingroom sofa.

In October, 2003 I took three days, got on my bike and headed north. No particular plan, except that I wanted to see the little town of Happy Camp on Hwy 96. I had seen the name while exploring my maps, and thought, "Ösounds like a happy place." Other than that one goal, I just rode where I wanted, and found motel rooms where I ended up each evening. I love life on the road.

Itís great sharing these rides with other riders who feel the same way, but often I just go solo, either by choice or by necessity. The beauty of being alone is that there is only one person whose opinion I need to worry aboutÖ that would be me. I go where I want, when I want.

The following pictures were all taken on this trip. I hope you enjoy them as I do. It is always a trade-off for me between enjoying the flow of the road, and stopping to document my adventures. Also, I tend to take fewer pictures as I get closer to the end of a trip. The thought of kicking back in my easy chair just sort of sucks me in.

Day 1 - Rolling out of Dixon

All decked out in front of my house in Dixon.
    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  89.8 KB

Breakfast at Williams, just off of Hwy 5. This was a little fruit stand, out in the middle of nowhere.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  142.8 KB

Stopped for a photo at Clear Lake on Hwy 20. This road around the lake is quite twisty, good pavement, and fun to ride, unless following a string of cars. Places to pass here are few and far between.

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  104.2 KB

Along Hwy 101 I took a detour do do some exploring and found myself behind a locked gate when I was ready to get back on 101. A passing trucker must have seen that before, because he gave me a loud blast on his horn and waved as he went by. I had to do some backtracking, but didn't mind. There was no schedule to keep!

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  108.5 KB

Back on Hwy 101, headed north to the redwoods.
    Name:  06.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  105.7 KB

The view from Hwy 101 of part of the detour I took. It was as fun as it looks.
    Name:  07.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  178.6 KB

Entering the Avenue of the Giants

Name:  08.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  09.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  101.6 KB

It got much cooler as I entered the shade of these big trees. At this point, I didn't worry about making time. I just cruised along, enjoying the trees towering over me and the cool breeze moving past.

It got so dark in these trees that I had to lift my smoked face shield to see the road.
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  72.9 KB

A side road that led to a camp ground. Those trees sure make you feel small.
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  130.9 KB

Just off Hwy 101 is the little town of Scotia. They had a wonderful old train museum, with some very well-preserved old steam engines and other relics.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0483.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  105.6 KB

I spent the night in Willow Creek. There wasn't much to do in town after dark, so I visited the local pool hall and practiced up. I knew I was in Bigfoot country because everywhere I turned I saw evidence of his presence.
    Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  99.6 KB

[break]
    Day 2 - Bigfoot Country

The next morning, I headed north from Willow Creek on Hwy 96. I had never seen this highway before, and was glad I waited until morning to ride it. First off, there were no decent places to stay for the next 100 miles. Secondly, this country is just gorgeous in the morning light. I found myself wanting to stop around every turn for more pictures.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  136.5 KB

Just outside the Hoopa Indian Reservation.
    Name:  19.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  101.2 KB

Hwy 96 was a dream to ride. Great pavement along the Klamath River with wide sweeping turns. As I remember, the speed limit was 55, but it was all I could do to keep it under 70. I didn't really want to mar the ride with a ticket, although I didn't see a single trooper all the time I was on 96.

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  100.4 KB

Goal reached - Happy Camp

I had lunch here. Happy Camp is a rustic little logging town with lots of character. As an added bonus, I got to meet Bigfoot in person. Really quite a nice guy when you get to know him.

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  113.8 KB

Name:  24.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  79.1 KB

Back on the the road headed NW on 96 from Happy Camp, the colors in the leaves were really starting to show themselves. The entire ride on 96 flowed from turn to turn, with great pavement and plenty of visibility. I became one with the road (not literally). I would love to do it again in the spring, and from the opposite direction, just for a change.

Name:  25.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  26.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  100.0 KB

You can see the end of Hwy 96 in the background. I have just turned south onto Hwy 263 to link up with Hwy 3 at Yreka.

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  114.4 KB

Hwy 3 south of Yreka. Now the colors are quite distracting. I have to force myself to keep my eyes on the road.
    Name:  28.jpg
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  29.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  30.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  72.9 KB

Into the Scott Mountains

On Hwy 3 toward Lewiston there were a number of hairpin turns over the mountain. I did not see a single other vehicle the entire time I was riding this pass. I rode a little more carefully than usual, because I didn't think I would have been found for a while if I ran into problems.

Name:  31.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  127.8 KB

The smell of pine was thick in the air here. It was just me, the trees, and the road.
    Name:  32.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  33.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  100.7 KB

Crossing the Trinity River on my way into Lewiston. I took Rush Creek Road from Hwy 3 north of Lewiston to get here. Notice that this is a one-lane bridge.
    Name:  34.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  63.2 KB

Lewiston was a cool little place. Since this was not their normal season for tourists, I think I was their only tenant for the night. That night at the local bar they had some kind of town get-together with karaoke. I don't drink, but really enjoyed listening to the music and mingling with the local characters.

Name:  35.jpg
Size:  117.4 KB

The bed sure felt good after a long dayís ride.
    Name:  36.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  76.4 KB

[break]
    Day 3 - A Feast of Fall Foliage

The next morning I back-tracked on Rush Creek Road and continued south on Hwy 3 into Weaverville. I have stayed in Weaverville on a couple of previous trips and really enjoyed the accomodations there. This time I was just passing through, and didn't stop for too many pictures.

I couldnít resist this picture of these logs ready for the sawmill.
    Name:  37.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  101.1 KB

Just when I thought the colors in the landscape couldnít get any more spectacular, I left Weaverville behind and started climbing in altitude toward the Hwy 36 junction. The fantastic colors all around me seemed to swallow me up. God must have been especially inspired that day to use his most brilliant palate of colors.

Name:  38.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  39.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  40.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  108.4 KB

What a treat to ride through.

Name:  41.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  124.8 KB

Name:  42.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  43.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  174.6 KB

Still on Hwy 3, headed into Hayfork, on to Peanut, then to the junction at Hwy 36 where I turned west.

Name:  43a.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  114.1 KB

A stop at Dinsmore on Hwy 36 west for some refreshment. Once I got back down out of the mountains, the temperature got quite warm.

Name:  44.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  91.5 KB

I took Alderpoint Road off of 36 since I had not been here before. The road was very rough, slow-going, and long. Iím glad to be able to say that I have ridden this road. I would not ride it again. By the time I got to Garberville I was hot, tired, and worn out. I would have been lost, too, except for a couple of kind riders on sport bikes that came along and pointed me in the right direction at a critical crossroads.

Name:  45.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  46.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  144.5 KB

Back on Hwy 101 south, headed home. I made one last stop for something to drink and to rest my legs. No more pictures from here. I just wanted to be home.

This was a fantastic trip. As I mentioned before, Autumn is a great time to ride. This trip, all together, was just under 1000 miles and, with the possible exception of Alderpoint Road, every mile was a pleasure. I'm glad I rode Alderpoint, but will avoid it in the future. It's just too rough and too long a detour for my taste.

I met my goal of seeing Happy Camp and discovered Bigfoot in the process. I met some wonderful people and rode through some absolutely breathtaking scenery. Two wheels is the only way to really experience something like this. It immerses you in your surroundings so that you are not just viewing the beauties of nature, you are caught up in them, and are never the same again.

Name:  47.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  121.7 KB

My thanks to the Pashnit staff for their assistance in putting this article together and for providing the map below. Where in the world would we be without motorcycles???

Name:  48.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  140.2 KB
    Last edited by Wanderlust; 04-11-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Name
    Ben
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha Raptor 700R

Re: In Search of Bigfoot - Round Trip to Happy Camp

Awesome pics Coop!! Great writeup.

Go ahead and pass me... Backmarker's Avatar
    Name
    Renee
    Bike(s)
    Aprilia Mille RSVR, Yamaha TTR-125L

Those colors were unbelievable. That was just stunning. Thanks!!
    Some people just don't know how to drive... I call these people "Everybody But Me."

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    *** Pending ***

Quote Originally Posted by Backmarker
    Those colors were unbelievable. That was just stunning. Thanks!!
    Thanks for taking a look. I'd like to do something similar again this fall.
    Jim

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    -- Albert Einstein

Name
    Mark
    Bike(s)
    '08 Hayabusa

Coop -

You're really making it so much harder for me to wait out the remaining 38 days that remain before I take off for CA!! I plan to ride the 3/36/96 loop while there - can't wait! That shot on the second page of the two turns on the hill, just after the yellow caution sign with the left arrow - awesome shot!

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    *** Pending ***

Mark,

You are in for the treat of your life. Are you riding all the way from Indiana? How long will you be on the road? What other parts of Calif. will you be seeing? I'm jealous!
    Jim

-- Albert Einstein

Name
    Matt
    Bike(s)
    1978 Honda "Oldwing"

Cooper,

You've officially proven that New England doesn't have a monopoly on vibrant fall colors. The west coast gets the colors at different times. I love the pic with your bike at the base of those two Redwoods.

Name
    Mark
    Bike(s)
    '08 Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by cooper99
    Mark,

You are in for the treat of your life. Are you riding all the way from Indiana? How long will you be on the road? What other parts of Calif. will you be seeing? I'm jealous!
    Coop - Yep, I'll be riding all the way from Hoosierland - I'm so psyched already I can't stand it, I'm leaving 5 weeks from Saturday. The trip duration will last between 30 to 34 days, depending on how I head home. The point-to-point mileage has evolved into something like 11,500 miles. Therefore I expect the total mileage once I get back home to be around 13K again, like last year.

I posted my itenerary on the "Upcoming Rides" forum, in hopes of seeing a few Pashnitites along the way. Clicky here: http://pashnitforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451

Name
    Hugh
    Bike(s)
    Harley Dyna/ Honda ct110/Bandersnatch

Jim great pics. When did you take the picture in front of the scotia museum.
    I think I might have seen you taking the shot. I work at the other end of the mill but I am down at the main office 3-4 times a week. I see lots of people stop there on bikes and always wonder how many of them are pashonites.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    *** Pending ***

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    Jim great pics. When did you take the picture in front of the scotia museum.
    I think I might have seen you taking the shot. I work at the other end of the mill but I am down at the main office 3-4 times a week. I see lots of people stop there on bikes and always wonder how many of them are pashonites.
    Hugh,
    The picture at the Scotia museum would have been on Friday, October 24, 2003 mid afternoon. I remember the museum was closed. I had just missed getting in, but took some great pictures of the old locomotives around the outside. I loved visitng Scotia. It seemed so clean and inviting. Thanks for the comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Jim

-- Albert Einstein

Thread Information