Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weird "lane sharing" question

Weird "lane sharing" question

Riding in California, lane sharing is legal. I frequently do it, mostly at traffic lights etc, when traffic is stopped and I can move up to the front. So recently I was first at a traffic light, and got the wierd thought of "If I happened to be close to one side of the lane, and there was room, what prevents a CAR from sharing the lane with a motorcycle? I've never seen it happen, but I wondered if it ever happened to someone here. I looked up what the DMV has to say about sharing, and it mostly states that it's not safe, but neither is it illegal. It seems like a car wouldn't do it unless they were a motorcyclist that happened to be in a car, and knew it was legal. Has anyone ever had a car come up and share a lane with them?

Re: Weird "lane sharing" question

It happens often on LA freeways! When cagers aren't paying attention or just feel they are bigger and so they have the right of way. Happened twice to me today. Once in Bakersfield and again in LA. The guy in LA on the 5 could care less that he forced me out of my lane. I know he saw me because I could see him in his own passenger door mirror. As I was half a bike length ahead of his front bumper he did it again into the lane I was in. OK off the true topic.

On topic, I often change lanes to help cagers avoid being boxed in by a slower vehicle. I have had a car pull up next to me at lights a few times, which I'm fine with, as long as there is room!
    "The key to life is to die young, at a very old age"

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"

Quote Originally Posted by rick piras
    ....what prevents a CAR from sharing the lane with a motorcycle??
    Lane position.
    Ride Safe

If there are two ways to perceive what I just said, I meant the good way...

around here the biggest problem is that cagers just don't see you. I take the whole lane. There is no way a cage can "share" a lane with a bike. I make myself visible and make sure they know I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by rick piras
    Riding in California, lane sharing is legal. I frequently do it, mostly at traffic lights etc, when traffic is stopped and I can move up to the front. So recently I was first at a traffic light, and got the wierd thought of "If I happened to be close to one side of the lane, and there was room, what prevents a CAR from sharing the lane with a motorcycle? I've never seen it happen, but I wondered if it ever happened to someone here. I looked up what the DMV has to say about sharing, and it mostly states that it's not safe, but neither is it illegal. It seems like a car wouldn't do it unless they were a motorcyclist that happened to be in a car, and knew it was legal. Has anyone ever had a car come up and share a lane with them?
    Nothing stops it. The same law, or lack thereof, that enables you to share with them, allows them to share with you. Motorcyclists don't like it, but it's true.

KeS

Quote Originally Posted by Jester
    Lane position.
    Bingo. If you're stopped at the light with a full car's width next to you, nothing's in the books saying the car can't pull up to the white line next to you. Just be careful they don't pull up to the white line over you!
    '95 BMW ///M3: stock
    '00 Ducati 748: 996 motor, 50mm throttle bodies, PCIII, Remus exhaust, Ohlins rear, Pazzo levers, Puig double bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Jester
    Lane position.
    +2
    “A man with a brief case can steal more money than a man with a gun” Don Henley

I had this happen to me on the freeway a couple weeks back.
    Soccer mom in large van pulls up parallel to me and drives on oblivious.
    I tried going back in the lane next to her to point out what she did (this was ~15 mph bumper-to-bumper traffic on a slowed-to-a-crawl freeway on a weekend), and she continued NOT looking around her at all.
    Talk about "focussed" driving.
    The only Zen you find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there - Robert M. Pirsig
    Nirvana's Adventures
    Unplugged, Uncut

On the way home from my daughter's soccer practice tonight a PU which had just passed me who was #1 at the light, jinked right at the last second to create space for me in the middle. His window was open so I greeted him with a big, loud, "I saw that! Thank you!" He said he wished people would do the same for him when he rides.

See there ARE a few good cage drivers out there! Most of them are riders though!

J
    Ride Safe

If there are two ways to perceive what I just said, I meant the good way...

if you ride a Harley and look pissed off at the world, people don't tend to miss with you either
    09 Harley Electra Glide Ultra CVO
    00 Harley Electra Glide Classic

Dogs Understand Why We Ride

Member Iron Butt Association

Live to Ride, Ride to Live at least 400,000 miles and counting

Thread Information