Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Weird "lane sharing" question

Re: Weird "lane sharing" question

I've not only had a car lane share with me, but pass me up wehile in the fast lane. That was a new experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Zatarra
    I've not only had a car lane share with me, but pass me up wehile in the fast lane. That was a new experience!
    Check your 6, Red Ryder!

Like I tell my wife ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time, if you aint goin the fastest you should be in the other lane.... That's OK she never listens either....
    Ride Safe

If there are two ways to perceive what I just said, I meant the good way...

Legal (actually, not illegal)? Yes. Safe? Depends on the cager.

If it is Suzie Expedition with her small herd of soccer brats, a lipstick, burger/Starbucks, and cell phone it is just not going to be safe. First she has no concept of how wide her vehicle is, not to mention (funny how we say that and then mention it) she can't even figure out how to pull all the way into a parking space. She just can't gauge distances if she is alert enough to see you at all. Most of these are either bullies or clueless to your position or vulnerability. I'd vote on clueless (as in too dumb to pour pee out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the heel) as the major category.

The solution is to always ride defensively (sometimes offensively ) and keep the two ton moto crushers behind you. Moto lane sharing saves time, cage LS does not really.
    Matthew 7: 21-23

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg
    Legal (actually, not illegal)? Yes. Safe? Depends on the cager.

If it is Suzie Expedition with her small herd of soccer brats, a lipstick, burger/Starbucks, and cell phone it is just not going to be safe. First she has no concept of how wide her vehicle is, not to mention (funny how we say that and then mention it) she can't even figure out how to pull all the way into a parking space. She just can't gauge distances if she is alert enough to see you at all. Most of these are either bullies or clueless to your position or vulnerability. I'd vote on clueless (as in too dumb to pour pee out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the heel) as the major category.

The solution is to always ride defensively (sometimes offensively ) and keep the two ton moto crushers behind you. Moto lane sharing saves time, cage LS does not really.
    I am WAY OFF TOPIC now...none of this has anything to do with a car sharing a lane with me

Now there's the rub. Every cager is different and people that lane share can ill afford to make any assumptions about how people will act because "normal" doesn't exist unless "normal" means totally random and weird actions ocurring often. So, while we cannot and should not make assumptions, we have to gauge each and every vehicle that we pass while lane sharing, especially when the cars are moving, but even when they are not.

In my mind, I put lane sharing safety in my hands and make it my responsibility. I gauge each situation and make a decision based on my experience and observations. Sometimes this means I quit lane sharing and get back in traffic until the situation changes. If you are into the philosophy of Observe, Analyze and Act, then lane sharing has you doing this repeatedly and quickly. The wrong Act in any riding situation can be lethal, lane sharing is no different, but I've crashed more not lane sharing (once) than I have lane sharing (none) in 17 years of living in California

Experience and observation and knowing the "what ifs" are key. I know that some people wait for a stop to open their door, dump a soda, remove chewing tobacco, or spit. I don't like getting spat upon and I certainly want to miss the open door. While moving, I look for people reaching for things in the passenger seat, or on the floor of the car. I look for people distracted by kids, dogs, friends, hot girls in cars next to them and the like. I look for hands moving up on a wheel as that indicates they want to steer somewhere. I look for subtle changes in posture that tips me off that they are almost ready to look in their mirror and I know full well people usually have their car move before they look so I don't wait for the look. I could go on and on. Every time I pass a car I am looking for these things and could probably write about 8 different scenarios and unique observations out of every 10 cars.

Suffice it to say you get to feeling pretty good about your ability to read situations. This is a trap. Never be over confident and always have an escpape in mind.
    "...and all that could not sink, or swim
    were just left there to float."
    --JG

Well said, Andrew !

I have some photographic evidence to support one of the points you make.
    Slightly off-topic, but hey, it's useful info.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangevaleFJR
    ... I look for people distracted ...by hot girls in cars next to them and the like...
    Name:  why1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  13.8 KB
    Name:  why2.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  48.1 KB
    Name:  why3.jpg
Size:  64.0 KB
    Name:  why4.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  48.6 KB
    Name:  why5.jpg
Size:  65.6 KB
    The only Zen you find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there - Robert M. Pirsig
    Nirvana's Adventures
    Unplugged, Uncut

Quote Originally Posted by shshanks
    Well said, Andrew !

I have some photographic evidence to support one of the points you make.
    Slightly off-topic, but hey, it's useful info.

><Snipped the pics!><
    Bob
    2005 ST1300 Sold w/174.3K to Son
    2004 ST1300 Commuting duty
    2004 ST1300 Waiting restoration
    2010 ST1300 Restored as Blue

http://hamptonrpi.com/stsabre/

Quote Originally Posted by OrangevaleFJR
    I am WAY OFF TOPIC now...none of this has anything to do with a car sharing a lane with me

Suffice it to say you get to feeling pretty good about your ability to read situations. This is a trap. Never be over confident and always have an escpape in mind.
    Andrew!

All are great points. I call that the 6th Sense of riding!

I've been busting traffic since I started riding back in July of '71 (that's 36 years for those of you that aren't able to figure it out). I have NEVER hit a car I didn't want to! (Or slapped their mirrors ).

I've had people open their doors to throw out coffee and people come over to the white line to keep me from getting by, but I tell you, I feel safer in between the doors of the cars then I do their bumpers!

After you have busted traffic awhile, you will develop that 6th Sense. It's called training yourself to observe everything you can you are coming upon and learning how to read what you see, so you can make the appropriate move: to speed up, pass, to move left or right, to stop, etc.)!

For those of you that don't split for one reason or another, that's fine, don't do it by all means, but don't be trying to tell us all how dangerous it is, because obviously YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE!
    Bob
    2005 ST1300 Sold w/174.3K to Son
    2004 ST1300 Commuting duty
    2004 ST1300 Waiting restoration
    2010 ST1300 Restored as Blue

http://hamptonrpi.com/stsabre/

FYI... I was coming home on the 101 in the valley. Traffic was heavy, so I was splitting lanes. I spotted a blinking light behind me. I pulled into a lane and watched a bike go by. He had his turn signal on. Doubt that is real legal, but it brings attention to him as he splits lanes. It may prevent some from changing lanes into him. I have not used this tactic, but it looks like a good idea. If you got stopped, just say you forgot to turn it off. Mr AJ

Quiet Pipes Save Rights JeffeVerde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MR.AJ
    FYI... I was coming home on the 101 in the valley. Traffic was heavy, so I was splitting lanes. I spotted a blinking light behind me. I pulled into a lane and watched a bike go by. He had his turn signal on. Doubt that is real legal, but it brings attention to him as he splits lanes. It may prevent some from changing lanes into him. I have not used this tactic, but it looks like a good idea. If you got stopped, just say you forgot to turn it off. Mr AJ
    Two words for you, Roger -- Headlight Modulator.

You know my commute -- the 110 through downtown L.A. every day. Without the modulator, maybe one in 30 cars moves over when I'm splitting the stop-and-crawl traffic where the lanes get tight and twisty from the 10 to the 5. Flip on the modulator, and suddenly every third car is swerving to get out of my way.

I've had people tell me they thought I was a cop because of the flickering light. In my mind, that's just dandy - it means they'll be on extra good behavior as I'm overtaking them.
    The only cars that can see you-
    are the ones that are trying to hit you

Geoff in San Diego
    '00 BMW R1100 RT
    '00 Suzuki Katana 750
    '96 Honda Helix uberscooter

Quote Originally Posted by JeffeVerde
    ... I've had people tell me they thought I was a cop because of the flickering light. In my mind, that's just dandy - it means they'll be on extra good behavior as I'm overtaking them.
    The only Zen you find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there - Robert M. Pirsig
    Nirvana's Adventures
    Unplugged, Uncut

Thread Information