Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Riding the slippery slope...RAIN

Show me the twisties! Skywalker's Avatar

Re: Riding the slippery slope...RAIN

I just recieved my rain suit! wouhou! it looks cool also and it fits perfectly. It's the tecknic jet stream 2 piece rain suit. I can't w8 to try it in the rain. Cheers.

Yeah rain sounds scary ..
    I have been doing doc wong clinics and I have to say I have learned tremendously. They ride whether it rains or not. Last ride he mentioned that if any time it rains on the day of the clinic he just changes the topic to wet weather riding clinic and then we practice those techniques for the next approx 1100 turns and 120 miles in the hills -- like tunitas creek, and others. I am seriously looking forward to that day because I am so scared slipping in the rain .. I would like to feel instead that when the bike slides I am capable of controlling it ...

So I would suggest others to think about it too.. The rides are always great, good folks from all over and its free after all .. !

Great thread Donna! I've seen many great tips regarding rain gear and riding technique in this thread.

This year has been my highest mileage year since I started riding, with nearing 33,000 miles for the last 12 months. My trip out to Alaska last Spring saw a lot of wet road, both in the lower 48, but especially in Alaska.

Last weekend we had a lot of rough weather here in the Midwest. I rode the Wing home from Alabama on Thursday night then back again on Monday. The last 200 miles was a constant downpour.

I don't have much to add to what's already been said, but I can think of a couple things;

1. All of us are used to being defensive on the road - it's an absolutely necessary part of riding. Just remember that the innate tendency of cagers not to see motorcycles is magnified greatly in the rain. If they don't see you in the sunshine, they will see you even less in the rain. So be wary and give plenty of room. I had a car change lanes on me last Monday in the rain. I was in the HOV lane in Nashville, TN. I saw him coming, I didn't think he saw me. He didn't. I backed off in anticipation and, just as I thought, he took my lane. When he looked in his rear view mirror and realized what he had just done, he freaked out so bad that he almost caused an accident switching lanes again.

2. Rain dramatically changes the appearance of the road. The glare off the surface of a wet road, not to mention the mist from vehicles in front of you, can obscure objects on the road that you would normally see on a sunny day or even riding at night when the road is dry. Of particular concern are those nasty "gators", big chunks of tire tread that can be a major problem, practically disappear on a rainy wet road.

Today while i was out on a quick ride to uni, it rained for abt 10 minutes and it got pretty slippery fast. This is actually my second time ever out in the rain and i'm trying to test and check my bike's performance (emergency braking, swerving,...) during such conditions. It's a bit scary but one must do it in order to be prepared for a real emergency. Anyway i wana know which is a better driving approach during rain: while cruising on a highway or riding in the city, is it better to keep the bike in lower or higher gears (RPM wise i mean). If my "waterproof" hybrid jacket (leather-textile) gets wet, should i dry it when i get home or is ok if put it back in the closet afterwards? (i have a 2 piece rain suit in addition but i don't keep it always with me so just in case my jacket gets wet, what should i do?). A fellow rider told to dry up my bike every time it rains.. Is it really necessary?

Appreciate the help

Karim... The bike can wait, but I always dry off the chrome. Looks bad when rusted and it happens so fast. We had a locker type of closet we all hung jackets and rain coats at at work. We found the damp coats and or jackets really smelled moldy just as fast. Air dry on the hanger before putting it in the closet. You may look at the label to see if it recommends some action.

Not a good idea to come out of the closet all stinky.... Did I say that out loud? Mr AJ

hehe that's what i was afraid of!! When i get to uni, i'm always just on time or late and directly put up the jacket in the locker. In rain season, i guess i should wake up 5 mins earlier so i can dry up my jacket once get to class... That sucks! Any ideas the RPM thing?

thanks

well -- if I dried my bike every time I get rained on, I wouldn't get much done -- never have and probably never will take the time to dry a bike after I ride in the rain. and I have never had any trouble with rust from it either
    09 Harley Electra Glide Ultra CVO
    00 Harley Electra Glide Classic

Dogs Understand Why We Ride

Member Iron Butt Association

Live to Ride, Ride to Live at least 400,000 miles and counting

moto-rider has best advice. I rode my 1957 sportster from Nj to sturgis in 1981 and had no problem riding hundreds of miles in the rain. In 1982 I rode an 82 bmw 1000 miles in the rain in one week in Canada. I rode my 1972 FLH to Laconia in 1986 350 miles in the rain all day. Funny how people get misconceptions about old motorcycles Rudy.

My advice to riders is to avoid riding in rain unless there is no reasonable option. Some examples: Don't begin an trip in the rain. If you are at home or in a motel room etc. and it's raining moderately to hard, consider postponing your departure. If you are on the road and it begins to rain, then either ride in the rain or seek shelter -- your option.

I have ridden 100's of miles in the rain and I hated every inch of it. It requires 110% concentration and you really can't see or enjoy the scenery. Typically, your face shield will fog to the point that you can't see and you can barely see through the water build-up anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDrifter View Post
    My advice to riders is to avoid riding in rain unless there is no reasonable option.
    You are correct sir.

My commute is about 4 miles between home and office. There was a day over the winter where it was a little overcast but didn't look too bad. I made it about 2 miles up the road before a massive downpour hit...accompanied by wind and thunder. I should have just pulled over and called for a ride but I was determined to stick it out (it was after all only two miles to home). Those last two miles are the longest I've ever ridden. I had to ride on an angle to fight the wind and struggled to keep the bike upright while it was sliding side to side on the wet road. On top of it I had zero visibility because the rain was so heavy. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Thread Information