Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your Minimum level of ALL THE TIME Gear

Quiet Pipes Save Rights JeffeVerde's Avatar
    Name
    Geoff
    Bike(s)
    Yes, please

What's your Minimum level of ALL THE TIME Gear

From the responses to both Donna's poll, and other threads on the subject, there's obviously a wide range of opinions of what exactly defines "All The Gear". Also, I suspect that some (a lot of?) people hedge on the "All The Time" part, when maybe they wear a reduced level of gear for local/low-speed riding.

So, here's a very specific poll. What is the MINIMUM level of gear you wear, 100% of the time, for any ride of more than a block from your home] (or a 1/4 mile for you rural residents)? (to allow for things like a run up and down the block while doing a tune-up, or taking a niece/nephew/grandkid for a loop around the cul-de-sac at 5mph)

For the purpose of this poll-
    "Armored Boots" specifically means secured (laced and/or zippered shaft) boots with ankle and shin armor. Slip-on cowboy- and engineer-style boots do not fit this definition.

Geoff in San Diego
    '00 BMW R1100 RT
    '00 Suzuki Katana 750
    '96 Honda Helix uberscooter

Name
    Justin
    Bike(s)
    2012 ZX-10R

Re: What's your Minimum level of ALL THE TIME Gear

don't walways wear riding pants when going to/from work. Just not enough room in my pack for my work pants with everything else. When out actually "riding" I put on the good ol' pants.. Even in Hawaii att,att, and yes... it gets HOT!
    Justin C Clark
    USAF 25ID JTAC

Name
    Sydney
    FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!
    Bike(s)
    '05 Victory Kingpin

Azzlezz chaps? Gotta go get me one of those doormat tattoos across my lower back so I'll look kewl with my tank top on!!!

HAHAHAHA!

99.9% of the time I dress for riding. Same as usual whether going around the block or on a 600+ mile trip.

Name
    Dale
    Bike(s)
    4wd Dual Sport

With years of collecting scars and broken bones, I finally realized it is all the gear all the time, or I don't get on the bike. Even if it's just down the block to the store it's FF, leathers, boots and gloves, or I cage it.
    "The key to life is to die young, at a very old age"

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"

Name
    Don
    Bike(s)
    82 SilverWing 500GLI

At a minimum, FF helmet, jacket with protection, and boots/gloves. Most of the time, I wear jeans (yes, even at work). I know I should invest in some pants, but haven't come up with the $$ yet.
    100 years from now, it won't matter what kind of car I drove, house I owned, or things I have......but what will matter are the values I pass down to my kids and grandchildren.My Blog

Name
    Matthew
    Bike(s)
    Toura-busa

in the VERY RARE occassion I will ride to work (about 1 mile across Post each way with 25mph limit) I will not wear leathers or armored boots. I will wear my Alpinestar "summer" gloves, FF, and my Icon Military vest with my full fatigues. But, because of the comfort issue of wearing my full gear, it is very rare when I do ride to work.
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

Name
    Dana
    Bike(s)
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar

Peronally, I have yet to find a pair of riding pants that fit like a pair of jeans. It probably has something to do with the lower volumes and the need to produce few size varieties... but until I can afford to have a custom pair of Bates made... Levi's it is.
    http://danapellerin.com - "You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." - Dave Barry

Name
    Kimber
    Bike(s)
    2003 BMW 650GS

I don't know whether to count these "Draggin' Jeans" as gear, so I didn't... But I do hope they're better than regular jeans.... The video on the website is pretty impressive. Dragged the guy 100 feet and ripped up the denim...but the kevlar was intact. You can add armor to 'em too. But I don't. (I only wear them when it's pretty hot. Otherwise, armored textile pants and the whole 9 yards.)

Well...I do own a back protector and don't wear that all the time... Hmmmm... Room for improvement no doubt.
    Mean people suck.

Quiet Pipes Save Rights JeffeVerde's Avatar
    Name
    Geoff
    Bike(s)
    Yes, please

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash
    Peronally, I have yet to find a pair of riding pants that fit like a pair of jeans. It probably has something to do with the lower volumes and the need to produce few size varieties... but until I can afford to have a custom pair of Bates made... Levi's it is.
    There's significant variation in the fit, from one brand to another - and sometimes even from one model to another. So whatever your body shape, there's a good chance you can find a pant that fits you. The tough thing is finding dealers in your area that actual have the different brands in stock, in your size.

Newenough.com does a good job of describing how each item actually fits, rather than simply stating the mfg's size, and they're good about returns. Ebay's a good way to try out brands, too. If you don't like something, just relist it. If you buy smart, you may actually make a few bucks on the resale. At 6'4", I'm hard to fit, and it's pretty much impossible to find anything in my size at a dealer. I did a bunch of ebay shopping until I figured out which sizes in which brands fit me (and which brands flat out won't fit).
    The only cars that can see you-
    are the ones that are trying to hit you

Geoff in San Diego
    '00 BMW R1100 RT
    '00 Suzuki Katana 750
    '96 Honda Helix uberscooter

Name
    Dave
    Bike(s)
    Honda Valkyrie

I have a mesh jacket for hot weather, and a half-shell "shorty", and mesh gloves. I might wear chaps over my jeans, too. It's a balance of risk over enjoyment. During cooler weather I'm armored up and look like a black nylon version of the Michelin Man.

Thread Information