Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: July 2004 NorCal Pashnit Guided Tour

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa
    The bikes all lined up.

From left to right - Darryl, Immanuel, Steve, Mieko, Shawn, Dusty, Tim, Sten, Jeff

Mmmm!

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa
    Let's eat! Grilled Turkey burger with bacon and swiss. Watch for this one if you're headed up the coast. Closed at like 3pm though on this Friday.

After Fort Bragg, and then Westport- the highlight of the day awaited. Right before the turn away from the coast, everyone took a break to let the stragglers catch up.

The view- can never tire of this

Highway 1 twists and weaves along the ocean's edge and eventually turns inland. The Lost Coast is called that because it stumped road engineers so much, they simply paved around it rather than attempt to build a road through this rugged coastline.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa
    Of course we have to take a break here and kick some tires for awhile. Darryl's brand new V-Strom. He'd only had a week or two. Note his furry cover on his seat he made the night before from a car seat cover in a fit of desperation after his aftermarket seat didn't come in prior to the ride. Crafty!!

Steve's VFR

I had been gotten notified that they've repaved the section of road between the coast and Hwy 101 and indeed they had.

Glassy smooth pavement, nary a bump in sight. Deals Gap eat your heart out. I think this is one of the twistiest sections of road in the entire state. Well worth the trek. I think "Pure Eurphoric Elation" sort of sums up this part of the ride.

I got asked by a reporter in a recent interview why I ride a motorcycle. When riding a road like this, it seems like such a ridiculous question.

Yes, it's even better than it looks. This is but a glimpse of the Nor Cal Motorcycle Paradise!

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa
    Sorry, no pics of this section of road. This is a ride where after awhile, you're begging for a straight section of road. Just before Legget, there's a good turnout where we fed all the riders. Blackberries! Travel on the cheap.

Jeff and I had pulled far ahead of the other riders, while he led, and I video taped him riding the Aprilia. When we stopped, Jeff took a moment to watch the video I shot of him on the Aprilia Tuono. Have to develop that into a future video.

More info on the Video Camera Mount setup just in case you're wondering http://www.pashnit.com/cam-mount.htm

There's even a microphone at the rear of the bike to record the exhaust. The wire is then routed through the motorcycle to the steering head where it plugs into the camera. The Video Camera power supply is hardwired into the bike's power supply with an inverter, so just plug the camera in and tape all day long.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa
    Two other riders were shooting video too. Here's Immanuel's setup on the VFR. This is the Sportbikecam.com mount in case you haven't seen one of these things before. Top quality stuff. The cord is for the push to talk of the communicator.

Gas can be expensive when you're out in the boonies! This was in Leggett. Ever heard of Red Diesel? Don't use that in your Volkswagon diesel Rabbit.

Made it into Fortuna where this sign welcomed us.

Darryl, Steve, Shawn, Jeff, Dusty, Bill, Mieko, Immanuel, Tim, Tim, & Sten

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa
    We reached Fortuna and headed for the Eel River Brewing Co. As you're eating, huge tanks sit behind the bar where they brew all the good stuff. Fortuna is also right next to Ferndale- which is a famous little California town known for its Victorian homes and buidings.

In the morning, more riding awaited. What a life!

Highway 36, named "The Ultimate Ride" by that pashnit guy never fails to deliver.

Everything you've ever heard about this road is true!! 140 miles long. Non-stop curves, scenery, few towns, people, or much of anything.

For orientation

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa
    Through the redwood section that always reminds my generation of Return of the Jedi and on up the hill.

At the top we're rewarded with this amazing view where South Fork Mountain Road intersects Hwy 36.

Welcome to Northern California!!

The Concours & the others. Shawn & his Concours are our mobile workshop with Shawn acting as the group's mechanic. Shawn's major hobby is buying and selling motorcycles and then parting them out on EBay. When Tim felt the handlebar on his FJR was a little tweaked- out came Shawn's tools and they pulled it all apart then slapped it back together. Those hard bags on the Concours have ample space to carry stuff!

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa
    Kickin' some tires is as much of a part of group riding as the ride itself.

Steve on the VFR & the others discussing the meaning of life. The meaning has something to do with motorcycling. Of course!

Darryl seemed to have a box of cigars on that V-Strom of his. Every time we stopped a great vista point, he lit up a cigar! Darryl & Immanuel.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa
    Bunch of goofs! Jeff, Immanuel, Darryl, Sten, Mieko, Bill, Tim, Dusty, & Shawn

Just plain sexy was the only way to describe the Tuono.

When we hit the junction of Hwy 3 and Hwy 36, a quick stop to regroup suddenly expanded into something else when three riders pulled up following Russ on his FJR. A Ducati 996 and another rider on a Aprilia Futura.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa
    Russ looked over the bikes for a split second, and then asked something I didn't overhear.

Then everyone pointed at me.

He walked over, "Are you the guy?" He asked. "Saw that Hayabusa and knew it was you. I knew there was a ride going on, and thought we might run into you guys" Russ rides an FJR, but used to have a Hayabusa. Before that he had a ZX-11D. I'm not sure who's following in who's footsteps.

Russ & Yours Truly

After accolades and much conversation, we set off in separate directions.

Highway 36 has this section of road between Wildwood Rd & Hwy 3 that does this up and over cut into the side of the mountain high in elevation- meanwhile the view looking northward is just amazing- you can see for miles across the mountaintops. Hard to keep your eyes on the road, if you don't, it's a long way down!!

Wildwood Road was just that- wild! If you've never heard of this road, that's probably the idea, parallel to Highway 3 to the east, it's a bit of a goat trail, but well worth the detour as it is cut into the side of a mountainous ridgeline, where the bottom is far below, yet the opposing ridgeline is close enough to reach out and touch. There's a sense of space, but also the opposite feeling of being closed in this narrow mountainous valley. Have to put a webpage together for this one, as usual, been riding past this one for a decade and never knew it was there. Now you know!!

Just another fantastic view along the ride- the road is at center

Thread Information