View Poll Results: What do you think is the best light dual-sport?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kawasaki KLX 250S

4 33.33%
  • Honda CRF 230L

3 25.00%
  • Yamaha WR250R

2 16.67%
  • Suzuki DR200SE

3 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a camp bike...

Name
    where
    Bike(s)
    Kawi

Question Mark Looking for a camp bike...

I'm getting into the market for a light dual sport to throw in the back of the truck for camping and what-not. What do you guys think?

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/det...content=photos
    http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy...delId=CRF230L8
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...95/0/home.aspx
    http://www.suzukipowersports.com/new...sc=Motorcycles

Are there any other choices? What are they?

Go'n some place new...... 2on2off's Avatar
    Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

Re: Looking for a camp bike...

The Suzuki, and Honda have the lowest seat height, least power and least suspension. The Yamaha and Kawasaki and very good off road bikes and will handle pavement well but have a taller seat height with the Yamaha the tallest. If seat height isn't a problem and you want the most capable off road bike in the group, get the Yamaha, but the Kawasaki will be very good as well.

Yamaha has fuel injection and a brand new motor. The Kawasaki motor has been around for a long time and I have owned two KLX250's and loved them.

The Suzuki and Honda are for shorter riders where seat height is an issue or for beginners that shouldn't have too much power. You can have fun on any of these bikes but the Kawasaki and Yamaha have the most capability.

Yamaha also just updated their XT225 to an XT250. You should also consider that bike but the other Yamaha and KLX are much more capable.

The Suzuki DRZ400S is also one to consider. It has more power than the 250's and doesn't weigh much more.

If you are only going to go slow on graded dirt roads, any of them will work.
    I came to ride and ride and ride and ride............

Name
    where
    Bike(s)
    Kawi

Quote Originally Posted by 2on2off
    The Suzuki, and Honda have the lowest seat height, least power and least suspension. The Yamaha and Kawasaki and very good off road bikes and will handle pavement well but have a taller seat height with the Yamaha the tallest. If seat height isn't a problem and you want the most capable off road bike in the group, get the Yamaha, but the Kawasaki will be very good as well.

Yamaha has fuel injection and a brand new motor. The Kawasaki motor has been around for a long time and I have owned two KLX250's and loved them.

The Suzuki and Honda are for shorter riders where seat height is an issue or for beginners that shouldn't have too much power. You can have fun on any of these bikes but the Kawasaki and Yamaha have the most capability.

Yamaha also just updated their XT225 to an XT250. You should also consider that bike but the other Yamaha and KLX are much more capable.

The Suzuki DRZ400S is also one to consider. It has more power than the 250's and doesn't weigh much more.

If you are only going to go slow on graded dirt roads, any of them will work.
    Thanks for the input. I'm thinking along those same lines. I'm leaning towards the KLX because of cost. Not that the WR is that much, but I'll feel like I have to spend just a little more and get a 400 or 450 or a lot more and get a KTM or Husky. A race bike is not my intention. I'll end up with broken bones. Uncle Sam won't approve!

Name
    Michael
    Bike(s)
    2005 MZ Baghira

I don't want to hijack Sean's poll/thread, but I wondered what the opinions are on a fuel-injected dirt bike (a la the WR250R) vs. a bike with a traditional carburetor (e.g., the Kawi KLX250S).

Frankly, the only time I've ever ridden a fuel-injected off-road bike was this past weekend at the San Mateo Moto Show, where I test-rode a KTM Adventure. The throttle response did seem very "on-off" and much less forgiving than, for instance, my MZ Baghira 660. It seems to me that, in the dirt, as the motor's power increases, you'd want F-I less.

Is this an imagined issue? It's not like I have a ton of dirt experience, and I'm not likely to find myself with a new WR250R anytime soon, much less an Adventure 990. I'm just curious.

Thanks! (and again, apologies to Sean for the slightly off-subject post)
    MSW

2005 MZ Baghira Black Panther
    1966 Honda CL77 Scrambler
    1982 Honda V45 Sabre

"I like my beer like I like my women - dark and bitter."

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

Quote Originally Posted by MSW1
    I don't want to hijack Sean's poll/thread, but I wondered what the opinions are on a fuel-injected dirt bike (a la the WR250R) vs. a bike with a traditional carburetor (e.g., the Kawi KLX250S).

Frankly, the only time I've ever ridden a fuel-injected off-road bike was this past weekend at the San Mateo Moto Show, where I test-rode a KTM Adventure. The throttle response did seem very "on-off" and much less forgiving than, for instance, my MZ Baghira 660. It seems to me that, in the dirt, as the motor's power increases, you'd want F-I less.

Is this an imagined issue? It's not like I have a ton of dirt experience, and I'm not likely to find myself with a new WR250R anytime soon, much less an Adventure 990. I'm just curious.

Fuel Injection is the future of off road bikes. Suzuki just came out with it in their 2008 450 motocross bike. BMW has had it for years in their GS line of 650 and boxer motor bikes.

I am anxious to ride Yamaha's new WR with it.

The problem you experienced with the new 990 KTM Adventure is unique to that particular KTM. I recently read a test report on it where they noted this problem. Ride any of the BMW 650's with fuel injection and you will not see this problem or the R1200GS or GS Adventure. They all have fuel injection and run great.

BMW boxers prior to 2004 had some surging issues with their fuel injection that was fixed when they went to a twin spark plug per cylinder design. I felt no surging with my 2004 R1150RT, 2006 R1200RT or my current '07 R1200GS Adventure. I did notice a slight surging problem with my 1998 R1100RT but it really wasn't a problem.

I haven't ridden the 2008 KTM 990 Adventure so you have more information about how this bike performs than I do.

I'm guessing the new WR250 Yamaha with FI will run just fine plus you don't have to mess with rejetting when you ride at different altitudes.

Name
    where
    Bike(s)
    Kawi

Quote Originally Posted by MSW1

No problem with jack. I'm pretty curious myself. I posted a poll on an Adventure rider forum, and the WR didn't fair so well. KLX is way ahead in the poll, and there were a few posts stating that in a breakdown situation, guys felt more comfortable fixing a carb than messing with a new FI system.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

Quote Originally Posted by starfish
    No problem with jack. I'm pretty curious myself. I posted a poll on an Adventure rider forum, and the WR didn't fair so well. KLX is way ahead in the poll, and there were a few posts stating that in a breakdown situation, guys felt more comfortable fixing a carb than messing with a new FI system.
    About 8 years ago, Harley Davidson came out with Fuel Injection and all the die hard HD riders said the same thing about Carbs vrs FI. But now, they almost all ride FI Harleys.

What is great, is you can choose carb or FI. I have had very good experience with FI on my past four BMW's. I have also had a good experience with my dirt bikes with carbs. In my opinion, they both work well.

All the Yamaha's I have owned have been trouble free including two FZ6's with FI.

Name
    Michael
    Bike(s)
    2005 MZ Baghira

Now that I think about it, the "on-off" problem with the Adventure 990 FI might also be exaggerated by the incredible power and torque of that motor. I imagine that it's probably very hard to dial in the FI on that kind of bike, whereas a 250cc motor is much more forgiving.

Funny you should mention the FZ6. I also rode one of those for the first time on Sunday, and I really enjoyed that bike. It seems that would be a really fun track bike. (And of course, no low-RPM FI issues on that one - you have to get that thing up to 6,500 RPM before it really gets going!)

BTW, thanks also for the responses. Good info.
    MSW

2005 MZ Baghira Black Panther
    1966 Honda CL77 Scrambler
    1982 Honda V45 Sabre

"I like my beer like I like my women - dark and bitter."

Name
    Eric
    Bike(s)
    999R Xerox,ST3,M750

Or a slightly used KTM 250 exc 4 stroke. 260 lbs, nice and light.

Name
    Larry
    Bike(s)
    Versys

Why no KLR650 or Versys? I bought the Versys for this very reason.
    Proud Versy's Owner

Thread Information