Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: frozen hands

Name
    debbie
    Bike(s)
    Burgman 400

frozen hands

This morning I rode my 40 minute commute to work and the temp was 40 with a bit of NW wind. I had a sweater under my jacket and jeans ( hoping Santa brings me armored pants this year )and wasn't cold except for my hands. I was wearing my protective gloves which have little air holes in them but had a pair of flannel gloves underneath as liners. Up until this morning this has done the job, but this morning my hands went numb and when I took the gloves off at the office they were all red and began to ache really bad. My boss looked at them and said " It is too cold to ride that thing. Do you see any other bikes in the parking lot! No only you! " My hands don't get that cold when skiing or snow camping, but my ski gloves are too bulky for riding. What kind of gloves do you guys recommend for winter?

Name
    Erik
    Bike(s)
    2007 Z1000

Re: frozen hands

I have a pair of alpine stars ST1 drystar gloves-they are thin enough to not be bulky but offer decent cold weather warmth and are water proof.got em from cycle gear for 20% off the 40 dollar price tag.They make a couple other warmer(bulkier) models in the drystar line.
    "The purpose of Law in our time is to create a web in which the common man cannot live without being guilty of some crime." - Ayn Rand

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha XJ Mongrel

Better than gloves. They last longer, don't normally wear out, and you can wear your summer gloves into the low 50's...no need to buy bulkier gloves.

Name
    Kim
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha Majesty 400,

I have to agree with Steve on this one!! Heated grips is the only way to go!! You can also buy them here on pashnit in a group buy from time to time!!

Kim

Name
    Sydney
    FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!
    Bike(s)
    '05 Victory Kingpin

Olympia makes a good warm glove. Also consider Gerbing Electrics if you plan on riding all year.

Name
    Rod
    Bike(s)
    '00 Harley Electra G

I ride all year and use Tourmaster for the cold weather 30's and below

up to that point, usually a 40 gram thinsulate works just fine
    09 Harley Electra Glide Ultra CVO
    00 Harley Electra Glide Classic

Dogs Understand Why We Ride

Member Iron Butt Association

Live to Ride, Ride to Live at least 400,000 miles and counting

Name
    Michael
    Bike(s)
    BMW 2013 F800GT

Gerbing heated gloves, heated handgrips and handguards...yes I'm a wus...a warm one!

chrome makes ya go faster redzdvl's Avatar
    Name
    Marc
    Bike(s)
    2001 Suzuki Intruder Volusia Black/White "Skunk"

or, if your like me ... you like to try out the cheap route first ... try your current set-up but add surgical latex type gloves under the wool gloves... you can buy a box of 100 or so at most auto parts stores for a few bux & if it works, great! if not ~ you can use them to change yer oil!

I kno my hands sweat buckets with just the latex gloves on when I'm working on my stuff.

I use snow gloves for cold weather riding, but they arent too wind resistant & the latex gloves act like a wind breaker & help keep body heat in.
    "Some People R Like Slinky's- Basically Useless, But Still Bring A Smile 2 Your Face When U Push Them Down A Flight Of Stairs"

Name
    Rod
    Bike(s)
    '00 Harley Electra G

I looked at latex gloves under the 40 gram thinsulates, but my hands always felt damp/wet -- and therefore got cold even in the mid 40 degree weather
    09 Harley Electra Glide Ultra CVO
    00 Harley Electra Glide Classic

Dogs Understand Why We Ride

Member Iron Butt Association

Live to Ride, Ride to Live at least 400,000 miles and counting

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Bike(s)
    07 BMW R1200R

I think all this advice is well and good...but keep in mind who is asking the question!

This is a woman asking. We have a tendency to run colder than all you male species and that being said need a bit more warmth to keep on riding.

I tried the silk liners, the below 40 gloves and a half-dozen other gloves until i am the proud owner of several pair. I finally got some gerbing electric and can ride when ever the heck i desire, sans snow on the road. I stay toasty warm and have the luxury of adjusting the temp with a thermostat that adjusts my liner and gloves. Pant liners are next.

For any heated gear, not unlike additional lights, you need to consider what you alternator can handle. Gerbing and heated grips do draw so check with you dealer, especially since you have already added additional lighting.

If all else fails...those sport liner warmer thingys work wonders. Just stick them in your gloves...but u definitely need to put away your vented gloves for any winter riding!!!
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment." Papa-Ken

Ride Like a Girl
    Travel Blog for Riders

Thread Information