Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Off-Roader license plate

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    WR250R

Off-Roader license plate

I thought this post on SBR might be of interest to the dirt riders here on Pashnit. There is a letter signing campaign underway to obtain enough signatures to petition the CA State Legislature for a special Offroader license plate, with the revenue generated going to non-profit group presumably advocating for our OHV and dirt riding rights. Sounds like a good way to participate in getting our voices and voting power heard on the many current issues in keeping off road riding areas open. Only takes a couple seconds to sign the letter.
    Last edited by motorrad; 12-12-2007 at 08:30 PM.
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need - The Rolling Stones

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    Changes weekly

Re: OffRoader license plate

Quote Originally Posted by motorrad View Post
    I thought this post on SBR might be of interest to the dirt riders here on Pashnit. There is a letter signing campaign underway to obtain enough signatures to petition the CA State Legislature for a special Offroader license plate, with the revenue generated going to non-profit group presumably advocating for our OHV and dirt riding rights. Sounds like a good way to participate in getting our voices and voting power heard on the many current issues in keeping off road riding areas open. Only takes a couple seconds to sign the letter.

sounds like a great idea. A portion of our motorcycle registration use to be designated for that purpose. Unfortunately, 3 or maybe 4 years ago, the revenue was reallocated to help fund social programs. What is to stop them doing it again.
    "If you are not getting as much from life as you want to, then examine the state of your enthusiasm". Norman Vincent Peale

Name
    Julie
    Bike(s)
    None at the moment

I agree with Loki. Sounds like a good idea but what they will actually use with the funds is anyones guess. I do like custom plates tho.
    Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about the one's who don't. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Name
    Ron
    Bike(s)
    '08 ZX-14

The "Green Sticker" money pot has been raided so many times it's not funny. What do you think they'll do with YOUR money this time????

Anytime the Government (State or Fed) has your money, rest assured it WON'T be used as intended.
    I'm not lost, I'm right there at the cursor on my GPS...Where ever that is

Do a poppa-wheelie

I cried because I could not wheelie, till I met a man with no motorcycle..

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by GixxerJulie View Post
    I agree with Loki. Sounds like a good idea but what they will actually use with the funds is anyones guess. I do like custom plates tho.
    Hi Julie,

How are the pups? Still eager to play ball I'm sure, my best to you and Dale.

Jim makes a good point on what exactly may become of the revenue from this proposal. Here is a link to the CA DMV showing some of the existing special CA license plates and the non-profit interest groups they assist. The ones that jump out at me are the Yosemite Foundation (Half Dome), Coastal Commission (Whale Tail), Lake Tahoe Conservancy, and Firefighters. If enough signatures are gathered from Off Road enthusiasts, then one could choose to pay a little extra voluntarily for a specialized plate showing our communities interest, with the funds going to a non-profit foundation who support OHV activity and rights.

Here's the link: http://www.ohvplates.org/.

This is in the preliminary phase to see if enough signatures from those interested in off road riding are out there to move forward. I think they need 7,500 residents to sign the letter. CA Assembly member from the 77th District, Joel Anderson, is willing to introduce this proposal to the State Legislator if enough signatures are provided at the above web site. No money, no commitment to pay, just an expression of interest.

Sounds like a cool idea to me.
    Last edited by motorrad; 12-13-2007 at 07:17 PM.
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need - The Rolling Stones

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by GS-RON View Post
    The "Green Sticker" money pot has been raided so many times it's not funny. What do you think they'll do with YOUR money this time????

Anytime the Government (State or Fed) has your money, rest assured it WON'T be used as intended.
    Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    Moriarty: Crap!
    Oddball: Crazy! I mean like so many positive waves maybe we can't lose! You're on!
    Kelly: Well Oddball, what do you think?
    Oddball: It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
    Big Joe: Hey look, you just keep them Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.
    Oddball: The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!
    Crapgame: Hey, Oddball, this is your hour of glory. And you're chickening out!
    Oddball: To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.
    Kelly: Nobody's asking you to be a hero.
    Oddball: No? Then YOU sit up in that turret baby.
    Kelly: No, because you're gonna be up there, baby, and I'll be right outside showing you which way to go.
    Oddball: Yeah?
    Kelly: Yeah.
    Oddball: Crazy... I mean like, so many positive waves... maybe we can't lose, you're on!

Sorry Ron, could not resist the "Kelly's Heroes" approach.

Here's the link again: http://www.ohvplates.org
    Last edited by motorrad; 12-13-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Name
    Dave
    Bike(s)
    '06 Yamaha FZ1, 79 CBX, '04 WR450

Okay, I did mine. Maybe we should spread this around, like the local M/C shops?
    2006 FZ1
    2004 WR450
    1982 Ascot
    1979 CBX

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    WR250R

GS-RON (Ron) is one of my earliest Pashnit friends, and a most respected one. So when he expressed concern on how OHV funds were being handled in this State, I decided to dig a bit deeper to learn more.

This article kind of sums up the whole green sticker debate for me regarding dirt bikes and the OHV saga. I think this should be required reading for all interested in what has happened regarding CA Off Road riding.

The next is a news article
    that explains a recent law change regarding OHV management, green sticker fee, and changes in how OHV money will be spent. Very interesting read, still some controversy.

Information and action is power IMO. I should point out the dirt bike green/red sticker debate is different from the CA specialty license plate info I initially presented here. Definitely related though.

Here's a good link to help: http:/www.ohvplates.org

Proactive T.
    Last edited by motorrad; 12-16-2007 at 07:44 AM.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    Changes weekly

Tom, I signed the petition because I like the idea of having a plate for motorcyclists. Your links only proved my point. $18,000,000 allocated for OHV parks and only $365,000 actually given to the parks. Even with the new senate bill, the OHV parks will only get half of what is rightfully theirs.
    "If you are not getting as much from life as you want to, then examine the state of your enthusiasm". Norman Vincent Peale

Kinda new round here
    Name
    Lee
    Bike(s)
    Aprilia 02 Mille & 07 RXV 550: KTM 06 950 ADV S & 525XC

Re: Off-Roader license plate

Where are you going to mount the plates?

Thread Information