Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hot New Year Down Under

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

Hot New Year Down Under

Happy New Year to you all. I hope you enjoy reading this report of a day trip I took a few days ago. Two of the guys who were my teenage motorcycling mates (we used to call ourselves “The West Coast Procrastinators” back then) and I got together to begin 2008 with a celebratory ride. It has been really hot here over the past week and I actually thought that we might have to call the ride off due to the heat. For example,we experienced the hottest New Year's Eve ever recorded in Geelong, Victoria. It was 43C (that's about 109F) during the day and incredibly, it was still 38C at midnight, the night before our ride. Bear in mind that Victoria is in the southern, so called temperate part of Oz.

Anyway, we exchanged text messages late and it was all systems go for 1 Jan. Steve and Andy are enthusiasts of old British motorcycles and each has a 750 Norton Commando as their road-going bike. We tend not to travel long distances on these rides, however, both the old bikes have been absolutely reliable so far. Here’s a map of our route.

I left from Geelong (not shown on the map) around 9.00am and headed to near Colac where Steve lives. It was already 30C when I left, but I felt OK once I got moving – the sun was hot but the air was still reasonably cool. It was the second total fire ban declared day in a row.

Last edited by Tarsnakes; 01-06-2008 at 03:11 AM.
    "Man is capable of changing the world for the better if possible, and of changing himself for the better if necessary."

http://tarsnakes.com.au

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

Re: Hot New Year Down Under

Here’s the VFR beside some roadside advertising. After last summer’s bushfires people are edgy – some Gov.t awareness advertising. We’ve already seen on TV news what the North American wildfire season was like in California especially.

We had decided to head to the hills for our 1 Jan 2008 ride as a cool change was forecast to be slowly moving towards us. Andy trailered his bike to Colac from Ballarat.

Two Norton Commandos ready to head off from Steve’s place.

Last edited by Tarsnakes; 01-04-2008 at 04:06 AM.
    "Man is capable of changing the world for the better if possible, and of changing himself for the better if necessary."

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

We headed south out of Colac towards Laver’s Hill. This road has lots of curves as it climbs gently upwards through the bush. I love the smell of the eucalypt trees on this road. I’ve ridden up here for 30yrs plus now on all sorts of bikes, in all sorts of weather conditions; every time is just that bit different in some way that I find interesting and I love it every time & thank God I'm alive!

Steve on the Gellibrand to Laver's Hill road - on a down hill, negative camber curve that he enjoys so much!

Andy following

Last edited by Tarsnakes; 01-04-2008 at 04:11 AM.

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

As we approached the Great Ocean Road there was a bank of frontal cloud visable hanging out along the coast. As we got closer the sky clouded over and the temp dropped about 10C which made for really pleasant riding conditions.

At Lavers Hill we opted for an early lunch and sat outdoors on the decking of a pretty nice restaurant with views over the Otway Ranges. I know some of you guys like food pics, so I remembered to photograph our lunches.

Last edited by Tarsnakes; 01-04-2008 at 04:24 AM.

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

After a pretty leisurely lunch, we headed out along the Great Ocean Road towards the Port Campbell National Park. This is a pretty twisty section, however, there was quite a lot of slow traffic which detracted quite a bit. The Port Campbell Nation Park is home of the 12 Apostles which I’ve posted some pics and info about previously – see link http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13459

We pulled up at the 12 Apostles helicopters helipad - just a paddock with a portable office really. See link http://www.12ah.com/

You can get quite close to the choppers and I’m like a school kid around these things! My wife and I once took a holiday in New Zealand and I spent a fortune on helicopter sightseeing flights. There are lots of chopper flights here to see the Shipwreck Coast sights – they are mainly geared to service the International tourists who come here by the busload and are quite expensive by my standards. Good value if you have converted Euros or Yen to $AUD I guess.

A joyflight taking off.

Last edited by Tarsnakes; 01-04-2008 at 04:35 AM.

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

After talking to a guy and his wife who are in the midst of restoring an 850 Commando we headed through open grazing farmland towards a tiny settlement called Simpson. This is dairy cattle country and is green and lush whilst much of the inland areas of the state are experiencing a severe drought still. From Simpson it becomes bush again most of the way back to Colac. It is part of the Great Otway National Park. This was lovely leisurely riding, gently uphill through nice open curves with the trees right at the roadside.

We pulled over under some trees on the Carlisle River road for a breather and “defrag”. For the record, neither Norton shed a single drop of oil on the ground, which is a testimony to their owners’ skills in restoring and maintaining them.

Andy with Commando

This is the road we rode back to Colac on - in the uphill direction though.

This ride was a great start to 2008, around 360 kms for me - a little less for the other two. I expect to be riding in warm conditions like this until the end of March at least. At the end of January I will be heading to Tasmania with other mates for a week of motorcycling on some great roads.

The trip home was under blue skies with the temp about 28 C, perfect riding conditions. There is a short version of this report on my blog, a couple of other recent ride reports & some pics of Andy's recently restored 1949 BSA in an October post.

Cheers Jules.
    Last edited by Tarsnakes; 01-08-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Name
    Matthew
    Bike(s)
    Toura-busa

Very nice... especially as I think of NOT riding due to freezing temps and rain this weekend!
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

Name
    Rich
    Bike(s)
    custom 01 HD XLH sportster

Nice! and brings back fond memories.... I use to reside in Brighton beach way back when... late 60's early 70's.
    That terrain looks familiar.
    It still freaks me out though to see you riding on the wrong side...
    That first riding pic for example, I see myself cranked over in that turn but going the opposit direction in that same lane.
    That certainly is warm for you.
    Swankster
    Sorry, but in my humble opinion:
    "THE ONLY GOOD RIDE IS A FAST ONE". Followed by a cold one of course.

Name
    Johng
    Bike(s)
    Goldwing 1800AB 2008

Hey Jules happy new year

Good report i might do that ride one day looks good.We are heading to tassy in March for an easter ride have been there before on the wing going to cover what we missed last time. You must to the road to Strathgordon they tell me its great we have planned for it in march

Look forward to the report

Cheers mate

Johng

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

Hi John, it's only 11 days now until we head off for Tassie and I can't wait. One of my mates hit a 'roo on his VFR a couple of weeks before Christmas. He escaped pretty much unhurt but did quite a lot of mainly cosmetic damage to the bike so we are hoping it will be repaired OK in time.

I've been camping at Cumberland River with my family for the past week. I was amazed to hear bikes along the Great Ocean Road as early as 6.30 am some mornings, and the occasional bike quite late at night as well.

I was just looking at your post about your US trip with the link to YouTube video - really good stuff.

Cheers Jules.
    Last edited by Tarsnakes; 01-18-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Thread Information