Thread: Hills west of Arbuckle/Willams Question...

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    05 HD Heritage. 08 KLR 06 BMW 1200GS

Hills west of Arbuckle/Willams Question...

I would appreciate any and all input on this route...just because the GPS says it will work doesn't makes it possible.....

Here's what I'm thinking...

Hillgate road to Sand Creek road to Highway 16....Highway 16 to Highway 20.....Highway 20 to Bear Valley Road...Bear Valley road to Leesville and on to Haffmaster Road...Huffmaster Rd to Sites....Maxwell Sites Road back to Maxwell area and "civilization"....Garmin says 107 miles and 3:44 hours

If the Sand Creek road gate is closed I'm thinking to go out Highway 20 to Bear Valley road and complete the above route

Any and all comments appreciated...
    Last edited by farmer1949; 01-19-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Name
    Ron
    Bike(s)
    '08 ZX-14

Re: Hills west of Arbuckle/Willams Question...

Bring the KLR.....
    I'm not lost, I'm right there at the cursor on my GPS...Where ever that is

Do a poppa-wheelie

I cried because I could not wheelie, till I met a man with no motorcycle..

Name
    John
    Bike(s)

KLR check...I'm leaving in about 45 minuts with another Galt area rider, he'll be on a BMW GS, I think he is secretly jealous of the KLR...or is it the other way round?

I'll report back on what we find....
    Last edited by farmer1949; 01-20-2008 at 07:16 AM.

Name
    John
    Bike(s)

Ride Report:

It is seldom that that a recreational event can really bring you so much angst.....

It started out cold and clear...we hualed the bikes up to a ranch west of Arbuckle where we had permission to start from......It became REALLY foggy as we approached Woodland and stayed foggy all the way to Arbuckle...it started to lift as we unloaded the bikes....I know, we are whimps, as we trailered the bikes and didn't ride in the fog, or one of my as my favorite insult goes: what a couple of "trailer draggin' whores"...felt pretty good in the cab as we drove thru the fog!! Warmed up the bikes as we were really stoked about the ride ahead of us...lots of potential routes on the GPS, with waypoints galore as escapes if we encountered the dreaded locked gates....Then as I started to put on my helmet I had a true WTF moment...sort of an out of body experience, as if "No, this can't be happening to me" sort of a thing....My helmet wouldn't go on to my mellon sized head?????? It wouldn't fit, it was if it was too small....As I stared at my helmet my ridding partner said I looked like I was becoming ill.....I almost did. Seems part of my daughter's Christmas gift of cleaning my office involved dusting the book shelf on top of which always sit my XXXL helmet and my wife's size S identical helmet (read same brand, same color, same age). Mine always sits on the left and my wife's always sits on the right.....until my daughter, bless her heart, unknowingly switched them....Yes, friends and neighbors, you cannot get a size XXXL head into a size S helmet, for more than 45 seconds at a time...My riding partner's XXL head presented the same problem....So there I sat a top an idling bike, nearly fully attired for a great day of riding!!!
    I'm just the kind of guy that won't go for a planned 100 mile ride w/o a helmet....so we rode around the ranch a bit and then called it a day...stopped for a truly mundane lunch of shame at Bill and Cathy's...then I put $31 of shame gas in his pickup...just really great!!

Moral of the story? Take your pick....
    Things aren't always what they seem.
    Pay attention to details.
    No good deed goes unpuinished.
    Workaholics shouldn't try to have fun.
    Stuff happens.
    At least I was a good bad example.

I bet I'll be able to laugh about this someday.....And the fact that I can make everyone laugh that reads this has got to be worth something
    Last edited by farmer1949; 01-21-2008 at 06:22 AM. Reason: correction

Thread Information