Thread: Summit/Mt Madonna to Carmel

Name
    Alan
    Bike(s)
    '12 BMW R1200GSA

Summit/Mt Madonna to Carmel

Took a little ride with some of BMWRockster's buddies while he and Ayumi were off riding dirt bikes in Hollister. Michael, Wes, and Alan joined me for a ride up 17 to Summit Rd where we soon departed pavement. I stopped a little for some pics...towards the top of Mt Madonna where the big transmitter tower is located. Some spectacular views from up there...Silicon valley on one side and Monterey and the vast Pacific on the other. I finally got to take the GS out for a substantial amount of dirt road...tons of fun. Everybody else was on sport bikes so it wasn't all that bad but listening to them try to talk over the Autocom was hilarious...sounded something like this," wuwuwuwell ththththiiiiisssss ro ro ro ro road su surrr surrrr surrrre is pu pu pu pu puretty."
    We came across a rather intimidating gate at the top but since we didn't read any of our names on the signs...decided to press on.
    Attached Images Attached Images              
    If you don't like the way that I ride, get out of my rearview mirror!

Name
    Alan
    Bike(s)
    '12 BMW R1200GSA

Re: Summit/Mt Madonna to Carmel

We ended up at a Vietnamese Buddhist Retreat out in the middle of nowhere complete with a twenty-five foot tall Buddha and a several thousand pound cast bell (that they didn't let us ring...bummer).
    As it was Chinese New Year there were plenty of people paying respects and taking advantage of the free vegetarian lunch. I found a couple little guys looking like that last Emperor and got them to pose with the evil leather clad bikers...
    I didn't stop for anymore pics but we continued on past Elkhorn Slough to PCH and finally to Casanova's in Carmel for a wonderful lunch. A great day...!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by the mad otter; 02-11-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Name
    Kevin
    Bike(s)
    BMW Rockster

Nice pics Alan! Did that road with Mike in the past. The interesting thing is the water tanks on the top of the mountain next to the road with the exposed PVC pipe going over the hillside. Wonder what that water is feeding?

Kevin
    Kevin
    BMW K1200S
    The Ride is On!

Name
    Eric
    Bike(s)
    K2 Chtrom, 07 99ty A

I once tried to get to this area by all the three accesses I could find. All of them have a gate with an 'area closed-resident only' sign. Two of these gates were open however while the third only opens with a magnetic badge.
    I did not dare entering but the envy was very high. It is a big area that is enclosed and open dirt roads are quite scarce around here.
    I would have thought the dirt up the back side of Mt Madonna would be more muddy. It does not look too bad in your pictures.
    --
    Eric

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by the mad otter View Post
    We ended up at a Vietnamese Buddhist Retreat out in the middle of nowhere complete with a twenty-five foot tall Buddha and a several thousand pound cast bell (that they didn't let us ring...bummer).
    Hey Alan, nice report and I would like to explore these roads with you sometime. The Buddhist retreat would be fun to visit and reflect from. I've always wondered where this was and how to access.
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need - The Rolling Stones

Name
    Alan
    Bike(s)
    '12 BMW R1200GSA

We actually only hit one spot that was significantly wet but only on the low side of the road so not an issue. There were lots (I mean 50-60) downed trees along one stretch though...a few that looked as if they were on the way down and one that you could reach out and grab as you passed by. Lots of evidence of storm activity.
    Send a PM if you would like to go sometime...I'm up for it.
    By the way...what would you water up there???? Dude, like Spicoli from Ridgemont High put it," All I need is some cool waves and some tasty buds"

Thread Information