Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on BMW K75??

Any thoughts on BMW K75??

Looking for a used, reliable and affordable BMW and was advised to consider a K75.
    I'm short (5-5) and would like something appropriate for someone my size, but also want something, strong and smooth and suitable for light touring. Any thoughts on the strenghts and weaknesses of such bikes?
    Thanks

Name
    Vince
    Bike(s)
    DR650, GT1000

Re: Any thoughts on BMW K75??

They have not made that model for a number of years. How used are you willing to go?
    “A man with a brief case can steal more money than a man with a gun” Don Henley

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    thingy with 2 jugs

The K75 is a good machine, but finding spare parts is getting to be a bother. Yes, dealerships stock them still, but often they need back ordering fo unusual repairs. It takes about 10 days from ze fahzerland.

K75 motors are generally bomb-proof. Based on the original 1000cc Brick, They have the same crank-bearing thicknesses of the larger engine, so you have a wonderfully strong platform. A common characteristic of the sideways motor is that oil will seep from the sump along the cylinders to the head when parked on its sidestand, so it will smoke when started. This is not a problem. Engine teardowns on these bikes are very, very rare.

• Upsides:
    • The bike is relatively light handling and does the business better than its larger brother. The motor does its job with low CG.
    • Good to great gas mileage.
    • Starts up first time, every time.
    • Gearbox, while BMW-ish, is smoother than the K100.
    • Motor counter-balancer smoothes out this triple.
    • Sweet sound
    • Kind to your tire budget
    • Aftermarket accessories for the K-100 often fit this bike, making eBay a delight to look for used stuff to fit.
    • Really nice mid-80's styling.
    • Downsides:
    • For a 750, it has around 50 HP.... Downshifting to pass is necessary. Like really, what were they thinking.
    • You MUST service the rear drive shaft splines religiously at 10K intervals or risk losing your drive shaft connection (it doesn' fall off, it just stops transmitting power to the wheel). This was a $180 service when new, count on it being $280 or more now. Good news is if you know how to use tools you can do it yourself for $12 worth of grease.
    • Forks are shockingly lousy. Boing, boing. Easy to fix with progressive springs from S&W or the like. Freshening the front end does wonders for this bike.
    • On some, the cooling fan assembly has been known to lunch very spectacularly and expensively by sailing through the radiator. Needless to say this disables the bike for awhile because either you salvage the parts from a wrecking yard or wait 10 days to hear from Germany. Figure $1000 for new parts and labor, less from a junker.
    • Over 50K miles look for knackered triple clamp bearings. Not too bad to fix, cost-wise, and it really helps handling.
    • Really boring mid-80's styling.

I hope this helps.
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Name
    John Peter
    Bike(s)
    Red '91 K75S w/Wilbers damper

Considered by many to be the best of the early "Flying Bricks".
    The spline grease is special BMW stuff. I bought a 35mm film canister full for $5 from the local dealer. I used it on my '83 airhead and Guzzi bikes.

Enjoy looking these examples over. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Name
    Josef
    Bike(s)
    98' BMW r1100r (Ol'

DON'T THINK, GO HERE http://www.ibmwr.org/market/ AND GET ONE!!!
    You won't regret it, I got one as a loaner from a shop once. It was HUGE piece of crap, but even though it barely qualified as road worthy, I LOVED IT!!!

Thanks for the advice. Wondering of it's possible to inexpensively convert a K75s to a standard model. Does it require more than new handle bars? Will a larger wind screen fit on an S model? I want the most upright seating possible, but figure I have a better chance of getting a nice bike if I can include the S model in my deliberations.
    Thanks

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    thingy with 2 jugs

Quote Originally Posted by cswett View Post
    I want the most upright seating possible, but figure I have a better chance of getting a nice bike if I can include the S model in my deliberations.
    Thanks
    The S model had some forward leaning sport bars that aren't too radical to be uncomfortable with, unlike a lot of "clip-ons" found on sportbikes. They can be changed out to a slightly broader set. I would not recommend the pull-back bars found on the LT models. One thing you should watch for is cable length for your controls. Bar risers would also offer a solution.
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Not a Knee Dragger Twisted Trader's Avatar
    Name
    Vincent
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1100S Boxer Cup

I am a BMW owner, and am satisfied with my current Beast.

Keep an open mind . Consider an older Yamaha 750 FZR. 126 hp, Fire Snorter. Chain driven, no drive shaft problems. New Michelin Pilot tires. New Battery, Corbin seat, Always dependable. No triple tree problems. Did I mention that I have one for sale?
    Last edited by Twisted Trader; 03-02-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kluts View Post
    The S model had some forward leaning sport bars that aren't too radical to be uncomfortable with, unlike a lot of "clip-ons" found on sportbikes. They can be changed out to a slightly broader set. I would not recommend the pull-back bars found on the LT models. One thing you should watch for is cable length for your controls. Bar risers would also offer a solution.
    Why would you not try the pullback bars? Also, are there any other differnces in the S models from the standard? Footpegs farther back, for instance? Also, could I out a larger touring windshield on an S model?

...riding California... eye.surgeon's Avatar
    Name
    Rod
    Bike(s)
    Ducati Multistrada

Quote Originally Posted by cswett View Post
    Looking for a used, reliable and affordable BMW...
    I ride a BMW but if affordable is an important part of this statement, think twice, unless you do your own mechanics. Fun, absolutely.

Thread Information