Thread: How to install a Signal Dynamics lighting module

Happy Turn How to install a Signal Dynamics lighting module

On my list of things to do:

1. Install a Signal Dynamics lighting module for the rear taillights.

If not familiar, Signal Dynamics is a Florida based company that specializes in various types of modules. These can modulate the headlight (a headlight modulator, which I also have (yes, legal in all 50 states)) blink the brake lights in a certain way, or even combine your turn signals into running lights. I have used these before over the years, including the classic Back Off Module on my wife's EX500, but nothing on the Hayabusa. These basic modules are all very inexpensive, around $40 (about 2 pizzas ).

There are several to choose from here:
    http://www.pashnit.com/product/signal_dynamics.html

I have used the basic one, as mentioned, and also a few years ago a Priority Lites Module (which someone somewhere likely still sells) that turns the turn signals into running lights. I had tried it on the Hayabusa years ago, but kept melting the turn signals. Weren't designed to be on all the time. Stock ones would likely do fine.

After re-reading through the descriptions and how they're different, I chose the Wig Wag module. Which for any bikes that have two tail lamps, it alternately blinks the taillamps under braking making them very noticible! That's the goal. This one also works with LED's which are becoming increasingly common. Not sure how LED's are different than bulbs - but I have them.

If you have two tail lamps like I do, the Wig Wag Module will work great!

Name:  640_100_0874.jpg
Views: 2563
Size:  36.7 KB
    Last edited by pashnit; 09-18-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Re: How to install a Signal Dynamics lighting module

The Signal Dynamics modules are extremely small, as you can see. They come with some double sided tape to stick anywhere. For my Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator in the front of the bike, I used velcro so I can detach it when I'm working on the front of the bike or take the nose off. That works great too.

Name:  640_100_0878.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  33.6 KB

Not real complicated with the wires. Basically, you feed the hot brake wire into the module and then into the tail lamps. Seems simple enough. The two striped wires- each one feeds a brake light. The Orange and Red are two options in how the blinking will occur. And of course a ground. Even a colorblind guy could do it.

Name:  640_100_0880.jpg
Views: 2559
Size:  35.1 KB
    Last edited by pashnit; 02-25-2008 at 07:14 PM.

Normally, I solder everything when working with wiring on the bike, but for here, I used these style connectors. They work great and don't come apart. All I need are a electricians pliers to crimp the connectors. This allows me to remove the module at a later date and plug the original wires back into each other.

The red and orange are the two blinking options. I put connectors on both them and then tried each of them out to see which I'd like best.

Name:  640_100_0884.jpg
Views: 2562
Size:  25.2 KB

After connecting everything including the ground, Testing it all out. No sparks. As you can see, this bike has bulbs that've been replaced with LED bulbs. The two striped wires, there's one for each bulb - thus the wagging.

Name:  640_100_0882.jpg
Views: 2532
Size:  32.7 KB
    Last edited by pashnit; 09-18-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Ta Da! All finished and buttoned back up. My rats nest of wires all neatly zip-tied and tucked beneath the tail-section. I mounted the SDC Wig Wag Module with the double sided tape to the undertail. Seemed like a good place. It's quite thin, so no loss of trunk space.

Overall, took me about an hour and only thing you really need is a electrical connector kit which helps. And a electrical pliers/crimper. Pretty easy, and the taillamps when I hit the brakes are 10x more noticible!

This sort of mod is great if you ride with other riders, or do freeway or city-commuting. Anything to make yourself more visible and get more attention to yourself when braking.

More info on the various modules to choose from here: http://www.pashnit.com/product/signal_dynamics.html

Name:  640_100_0885.jpg
Views: 2513
Size:  53.6 KB

Gifs of the wig-wag options. I went with this option:

Here's the other option, the orange wire I didn't use, but with the electrical connectors, could swap them at any time.

Last edited by pashnit; 02-25-2008 at 08:43 PM.

I've got the Wig Wag module on my rig but there's something about the way it was wired into the sidecar/bike wiring that blinks all the rear stop lights simultaneously instead of the alternating sequence. It still works to keep the cagers off my rear and is extremely noticeable. I swear by these types of units!

With the unit in place the people behind you stay back, even at stop lights, instead of edging up to your rear fender.

Looking for Another Road RussNStockton's Avatar

I have the Wig Wag on my Duc. I replaced the standard brake/running bulb with an LED unit from HeavyCycle.com (brightest on the market). I added an LED license frame with dual LED bars. I have basically three very bright LED lights on the rear. I wired the SD Wig Wag to alternated between the bars on the license frame.

Now I have large very bright solid brake light, and two alternating flashing LED red lights. Does an excellent job of catching your attention, plus they can be seen from a distance.

As Lyn said, "I swear by these type of units."
    Last edited by RussNStockton; 09-25-2008 at 07:58 AM.
    Kiva...Loans that Saves Lives

http://www.kiva.org

Quote Originally Posted by RussNStockton View Post

Now I have large very bright solid brake light, and two alternating flashing LED red lights. Does an excellent job of catching your attention, plus they can be seen from a distance.
    That's awesome Russ! Considering one of our members, Haroldo, got rear ended at a stoplight (on a Concours 14 no less) a few days ago, all the flashy-flashy on the backside of the bike is a good thing!

Looking for Another Road RussNStockton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pashnit View Post
    That's awesome Russ! Considering one of our members, Haroldo, got rear ended at a stoplight (on a Concours 14 no less) a few days ago, all the flashy-flashy on the backside of the bike is a good thing!
    Thanks Tim, but I should be thanking you.

Your write up on your Busa...was the inspiration of how to get not just more light, but a more noticeable pattern.

Another reason, why this is such a great site. The quality of the the write ups and thoughts about the various aspects of motorcycles...even the small universe of LED lights.
    Kiva...Loans that Saves Lives

http://www.kiva.org

Thread Information