Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Any good V-twin sportbikes?

Name
    reyrey
    Bike(s)
    baby ninja

Any good V-twin sportbikes?

Well I'm planning to finance a new bike in the next couple months. First and foremost, I want a v-twin. I want the powerband to be linear and most of its
    grunt in the low to mid range rpm.

I've been looking at the SV's but I want to exlore all of my options. What would you guys recommend? I saw some pictures of the Honda RC51.

I know a lot about cars but not so much about bikes. So really I dont know how many types of v-twins are out there and who makes em and what their called. Not really sure what I'm searching for except that it has to be a v-twin sportbike. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by NewRiderr; 03-06-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Name
    Will
    Bike(s)
    '02 Moto Guzzi Le Ma

2cents Re: Any good V-twin sportbikes?

What type of riding will you do? Sport touring? Day rides?

The Honda RC51 is by most accounts, an excellent bike, leaning towards the sports end of the spectrum. Not too conducive to touring, although it can be done.

Ducatis are in the same end of the spectrum although their ST and Monster models, less extreme. Ducatis also come with a hefty price tag.

Aprilia has been making their v twin for 10 years now and their reliability has proven to be up there with the Japanese manufacturers. They're also a bit of a bargain in comparison to Ducatis. Unfortunately, they don't have a widespread dealer network.

I ride a Moto Guzzi and I love it for my use, which is sport touring. They're a bit of an aquired taste. Most people either love them or are indifferent. In comparison to an Aprilia or a Ducati...if they were Doberman Pinschers, a Guzzi would be a Golden Retriever . They also suffer from a lack of dealerships.

Suzuki makes their SV 650 & 1000 v twins for street and the Stron 650 & 1000 for street/light trail riding. If you're a novice rider, the SV650 would be an excellent choice.

For more relaxed riding, you have the Harley and Victory makes.

v twins usually can't match the horsepower and top speed of inline fours, but they make up for that deficiency in low end grunt (torque). Some claim a v twin is more capable of putting their power to the road in wet weather conditions due to their low rpm power output.

Some people also claim that v twins offer more of that intangible element known as character Character effects each person differently. Some people are indifferent to its charm while others are smitten.

There's no way of knowing which type of person you are until you ride one
    Last edited by Orson; 03-06-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Name
    Bob
    Bike(s)
    08 hayabusa/06 FZ6

Re: Any good V-twin sportbikes?

My riding buddy rides a new intersepter , he keeps up with 1000cc bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Sonny
    Bike(s)
    RC-51, HD 1200 Sportster, Kawasaki z1000

I love my RC51, but it's not the best for long trips. I did the Pashnit Sierra tour on it and I thought my hands were going to fall off. But you can't beat an RC51 with two brothers cans and a power commander. Sounds like a nascar.

I bought a Kawasaki z1000 to take on longer trips, just did 1800 miles on it in 5 days - hands/wrists never hurt a bit. I could ride it for weeks - still loads of power in the upper rpms too.

The VFR is a great option - closer to a WSB, it being a v4 and all. There is a guy here in town with an older 97 VFR with some cans and it sounds like a beast!

If I were going to buy a new bike I would probably get a VFR. Of course I'll never part with my RC.

Name
    Sam
    Bike(s)
    Never enough!

Having owned a RC51 (until I made it ashpalt colored) I can say it is by no means ergonomic but then again neither is my Ducati 748S.

No for sweet, sweet sound I am partial to the RC51 with Sato's....talk about WOW or the Duc with Termis!!!

Okay back on track.....The VFR, which I also own, is an excellent choice and as stated it sound great with some cans. Personally I like Staintune's best.
    Smooth is Fast

People say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand....HEY LOOK, A CHICKEN!!!

Name
    Matthew
    Bike(s)
    Toura-busa

There are the Buells. I have a friend who has on and loves it. The ergonomics are a bit different on the XB-9/12 (very short wheelbase, etc.). They (as most v-twins, stated above) are relatively low on HP but have great torque response. Maybe a tad pricy for what you get, but seem to have solid maintenance quality and the older Buells are quite simple to work on.
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    Pending...

Don't forget about Buell's new 1125R - a 72 degree Rotax V-Twin putting out around 140hp.

As high horsepower, yet low maintenance V-Twin sportbikes go, that one is hard to beat.

Last edited by nodaclu; 03-07-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    In memory of an amazing man - my father - 8/26/1945 - 4/2/2014. Rest in peace dad.

Name
    Keith
    Bike(s)
    2000 Ducati 748 Biposto

Quote Originally Posted by Orson View Post
    What type of riding will you do? Sport touring? Day rides?

The Honda RC51 is by most accounts, an excellent bike, leaning towards the sports end of the spectrum. Not too conducive to touring, although it can be done.

Ducatis are in the same end of the spectrum although their ST and Monster models, less extreme. Ducatis also come with a hefty price tag.

Aprilia has been making their v twin for 10 years now and their reliability has proven to be up there with the Japanese manufacturers. They're also a bit of a bargain in comparison to Ducatis. Unfortunately, they don't have a widespread dealer network.

I ride a Moto Guzzi and I love it for my use, which is sport touring. They're a bit of an aquired taste. Most people either love them or are indifferent. In comparison to an Aprilia or a Ducati...if they were Doberman Pinschers, a Guzzi would be a Golden Retriever . They also suffer from a lack of dealerships.

Suzuki makes their SV 650 & 1000 v twins for street and the Stron 650 & 1000 for street/light trail riding. If you're a novice rider, the SV650 would be an excellent choice.

For more relaxed riding, you have the Harley and Victory makes.

v twins usually can't match the horsepower and top speed of inline fours, but they make up for that deficiency in low end grunt (torque). Some claim a v twin is more capable of putting their power to the road in wet weather conditions due to their low rpm power output.

Some people also claim that v twins offer more of that intangible element known as character Character effects each person differently. Some people are indifferent to its charm while others are smitten.

There's no way of knowing which type of person you are until you ride one
    +1 on everything in here. Especially the "character" part. Consider me one of the smitten! They're narrower than a 4 cylinder, more low end torque, and I loooove the sound. You can distinguish the v-twin rumble from quite a distance. I usually hear other Ducatis before I see them. With aftermarket Remus exhausts, sometimes my bike will set off car alarms if I'm on residential streets...

The Suzuki SVs are very popular as a beginner/intermediate sport ride. I know they also do very well at the track if they're in capable hands. If you're stepping up from the Kawi 250, this might be an excellent option.

Ducatis do indeed carry a price tag, and maintenance costs can be high, but for some people nothing else will do. If you look very closely at the used market and find a well-kept older model it might suit you well. The superbikes will cripple your wrists on longer (300 mile +) rides but are a blast in the twisties. A Monster works pretty well all around, and a Multistrada or ST would suit sport-touring more.

Also +1 on Matt's mention of the Buells. I think they're often overlooked but not a bad deal.

You may want to lurk in a model-specific board to gain some more insight on each. For example, you'll find a wealth of helpful info from Ducatisti at http://www.ducati.ms/forums/index.php?
    Last edited by Keef; 03-07-2008 at 11:41 AM.
    '95 BMW ///M3: stock
    '00 Ducati 748: 996 motor, 50mm throttle bodies, PCIII, Remus exhaust, Ohlins rear, Pazzo levers, Puig double bubble

Name
    Eric
    Bike(s)
    999R Xerox,ST3,M750

I think the SV 650 or 1k are what your looking for. The RC runs hot in stop and go, it likes to be moving fast and it is a porker. Ducatis are a commitment to proper maintenance, which isnt too bad but must be done. The Aprilias are good bikes, but try to find a dealer. A 'guzi is not much better for their dealer network. The cottage industry that has grown up around the SV is super extensive and you can buy anything for them.

Name
    Eric
    Bike(s)
    999R Xerox,ST3,M750

I forgot to mention the KTM bikes. There's one that has good service and dealer networks. Not bad to work on yourself either.

Thread Information