Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Motoport gear.

Motoport gear.

Well the textile (read; poly) transition continues (read; to Kevlar). Last year I bought some Motoport custom built (for me, using an old pair of my jeans) Kevlar riding pants. These are simply the best fitting and protective pants this rider has ever owned! I needed some new Summer gloves (again ) and checked their site www.motoport.com to find they now offer Kevlar racing gloves. Ordered on Wednesday and got them Saturday. Interresting sizing system...you trace an outline of your hand and fax it to them, they send you the perfect glove.

These fit me like...well, a glove. They are very light in weight but substantial in the protection area. What's more, they are VERY comfortable with no binding points or irritation. Watching expectantly for some Winter gloves.

Next will be the Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket. I know that some here will look at the pricing and flinch. Think about this; they come with a seven year warranty and a lifetime repair guarantee. If you crash and Motoport can't fix the damage, they will replace it...for LIFE. When they get dirty, you remove your junk (Tic Tacs etc) from the pockets and toss the whole item in the washer (armor and all). I go through a pair of gloves per year and pants/jackets last about 2 years (if I am lucky...normally the seams are beginning to give out in one year). In seven years, I will spend more than I did at motoport and for gear that really does not fit my odd Celtic body well or offer even close to the protection level. Now consider the luxury of actually being able to wear this gear with nothing under it but skin and not have to worry about poly burns if you fall. IMHO Motoport Kevlars have become the textile that exceed the protection previously offered only by leather.

Motoport has been a good customer experience for me for extreme quality custom built gear. Disclaimer: Law Dawg has zero financial interrest in Motoport. He recieves zero discounts for raving about their product. He simply wants to share the joy of a well built, protective, product that actually fits (with good customer service as well).
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-07-2008 at 07:53 AM.
    Matthew 7: 21-23

Re: Motoport gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    Disclaimer: Law Dawg has zero financial interrest in Motoport. He recieves zero discounts for raving about their product. He simply wants to share the joy of a well built, protective, product that actually fits (with good customer service as well).
    Good stuff Pop! And riding with you, it appears well made!

Wonder if they'll offer an MSF discount?

Aspiring Celt J
    Ride Safe

If there are two ways to perceive what I just said, I meant the good way...

Hearing Mark talk about this new gear, I know where I'm doing my shopping next time. I am guessing they are not too far from San Diego.

I could just drive over and see it all for meself ? How much them new gear items cost you, Mark ? I reckon $1200-1500 for a jacket and pants would be typical. Less ? More ?
    The only Zen you find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there - Robert M. Pirsig
    Nirvana's Adventures
    Unplugged, Uncut

Quiet Pipes Save Rights JeffeVerde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    I go through a pair of gloves per year and pants/jackets last about 2 years (if I am lucky...normally the seams are beginning to give out in one year).
    Now there's something to give you pause. If the seams on your saftey gear are starting to fail after one year of simply being worn --- how well will they hold up in the stress of a crash? I suspect/fear that a lot of motorcycle saftey gear is designed with fashion over function - especially the lines that come out with a trendy new look every year.
    The only cars that can see you-
    are the ones that are trying to hit you

Geoff in San Diego
    '00 BMW R1100 RT
    '00 Suzuki Katana 750
    '96 Honda Helix uberscooter

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    How much them new gear items cost you, Mark ? I reckon $1200-1500 for a jacket and pants would be typical. Less ? More ?
    Pants and jacket with optional liners would run about $1000-1200 (unless you watch the sales). I added the cargo pockets and hip padding (don't really know why that is optional most option to have it added after a crash) to the Police Kevlar Pants (they fit more like Motor LEO pants and have a belt) and that boosted it a bit. I have heard from others that going into the store will get you even better fitting. The jacket also comes in a Larry (Jester) style neon eye blaster configuration. I'd ride over just in case they have some off the rack stuff that works...you can make sure by testing it while sitting on your bike.

The big deal for me is to find stuff that actually fits without being a compromise some place else. My previous gear was Joe Rocket and Alpinestars (the gloves are too numerous to name and none felt as good as the Motoport ones). Reasonably good quality stuff but they are limited by being Cordura (read; plastic) and entry price...you gets what you pay for. I still maintain that reasonably cheap moto gear is better than jeans and a wife beater but after watching Brad's get off the "good enough" level was raised for me.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-07-2008 at 07:57 AM.

Yes, I can swear by the importance of gear. Yes.
    Thanks for reviewing this one and providing us an unbiased opinion, Mark. Much appreciated.

Safe. Safe.
    Last edited by Nirvana; 04-06-2008 at 06:05 PM.
    The only Zen you find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there - Robert M. Pirsig
    Nirvana's Adventures
    Unplugged, Uncut

Thanks for the info Mark. I know OGMike and a few others swear by them. I'm in need of new riding pants so I'll be ordering up a pair after my new knee is functional. I've been looking at their Police Kevlar pant. Is that the set you were sporting on our ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    I am guessing they are not too far from San Diego. I could just drive over and see it all for meself ?

It will be a real treat if you ride over and let Wayne give you the tour. You'll come away knowing that nothing is made better than Motoport.

I mentioned to Wayne that I already had Gerbing's heated jacket and pant liners. Living in SoCal he recommended I buy only the rain/wind liners. Said I would have the perfect setup. He was right as its really worked out well.

Over two years ago I got the tour and was fitted for an Ultra II Kevlar Mesh jacket and the Ultra II stretch kevlar pants. I wear them almost everyday and they still look like new. The only problem I've had is in the course of 2 years I've had 2 snaps fail. Stopped by their shop in San Marcos and they fixed them on the spot.

With Motoport I get the feeling I'll never need to buy another suit .
    Last edited by Sbyllek; 04-07-2008 at 07:08 AM.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Goldwing & Trekker Trailer

Comfort Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Scarman View Post
    I've been looking at their Police Kevlar pant. Is that the set you were sporting on our ride?
    Yep, and they are simply the most comfy pants ever for the bike. Wayne will ask if you want the cuffs to fit in or over your boots (mine are made for over). My only gripe is they are a bit snug (actually got whistled at by a good looking pair of ladies recently ) so the velcro for the armor tends to chafe a bit. That will be fixed by Motoport about the time I have my next knee job (can't stand to be without them). Pick a good fitting pair of jeans (a bit loser than you might think you should) to send (they send them back with your order) or, better yet, ride down to San Marcos.

Watch for sales on the solid ones (non mesh) this Summer. Perhaps Winter for the mesh. They knocked off about $150 when I got mine. BTW the solids are about as warm as jeans so I will not be getting mesh lowers. I'll get the mesh jacket and add an electric liner.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-07-2008 at 07:50 AM.

I'm into my third year with Motoport Ultra mesh jacket and pants. They still look like new after many washings. I had a broken zipper on the leg of my pants after two years. sent them in on Thursday, they were back to me by Monday, so they had to have fixed them and shipped them the same day the received them. Great product, great service. My Ultra mesh pants are overpants. I generally wear shorts underneath. Nice and cool. With the rain/wind liner, I'm warm and waterproof. If you think of having winter gear, and then summer gear,these are really a bargain. I'm year round with mine. this year I added a heated jacket liner(Tourmaster). Great investment. And they zip right off, so I can lock them to the bike, put my boots in the side bags, and walk aorund in shorts and flipflops to do the tourist thing. Very versatile. And a person has to know when leather just doesn't look good anymore.

ATGATT
    Ride safe

Thread Information