Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crash Statistics of riders wearing gear vs no gear

Name
    Joseph
    Bike(s)
    '09 Honda 600RR

Crash Statistics of riders wearing gear vs no gear

I am trying to compile a general statistic, since I haven't really found one, of riders who are involved in at fault accidents and whether they were wearing gear or not. I'm not talking about just a helmet and a jacket. I'm talking about proper boots, gloves, and pants too. Official statistics always seem to only be concerned with helmet or no helmet but helmets are law in most places. I'm not concerned with what riders have to wear as much as what riders choose to wear.

Just from browsing around forums and reading or asking what people were wearing, it seems a trend of most accidents where the rider is fully or partially at fault, they were not wearing all their gear.

I'm vaguely noticing, or trying to imply, a correlation between at fault(avoidable) accidents and the amount of gear the rider in question was wearing.

It seems to me that a rider who chooses to skimp out on certain protective gear articles has a certain mentality about riding as well. Shortly summed up into something like the amount of acceptable risk. If not wearing certain articles of gear is acceptable, it seems that certain riding habits that wouldn't be considered defensive driving(riding) are also acceptable. As opposed to a rider who will not accept anything but true ATGATT will also not accept taking part in un-defensive or responsible riding habits. Or at the very least, the frequency is reduced. Some people choose to rationalize not wearing certain articles based on their destination or type of riding they plan to do. For example, I know a number of people will say they only wear their leather pants when having a 'spirited' ride and just jeans at other times. Or some don't feel a riding specific boot is necessary or proper riding gloves. Those are the common articles that are often rationalized by people who do not wear them. That same rationalizing mindset may correlate to riding habits that put the rider in question potentially in harms way more frequently, whether it be intentional or not.

If a thread is posted about a rider having a get-off, I often politely ask them what they were wearing. It seems to me that out of all the people who are ATGATT supporters, more often than not I get a response back indicating the downed rider was not ATGATT at the time of the accident and the cases of ATGATT at fault riders are much more uncommon.

I know ATGATT is not a new thread topic to talk about, nor is accident statistics but I don't often see the two directly discussed in the respect of correlation between them.

Give me your opinions. If you are willing, please post if you are truly ATGATT or not and what type of accident you have been involved in or no accident at all. And if not ATGATT, what pieces do you not habitually wear and why not. Also, the type of bike you ride. I'm not as much concerned with the exact details of what happened or if you weren't at fault but mainly if it could have been avoided by the rider and what all the rider was wearing. I'm going to take the responses and create an excel spreadsheet with the data.

I figure Pashnit is the best place to post this to get a good mix of all age riders and all types of bikes instead of a bike specific forum where the responses are going to be skewed more to a specific rider and bike type.

If this is just a re-hash and a "duh, we know that" topic, then I apologize. I'm not trying to ridicule or put anyone on the spot for not wearing ATGATT. Just trying to gather data for my own edification and others if they are interested in my findings.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Kurosaki; 04-22-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Name
    Sydney
    FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!
    Bike(s)
    '05 Victory Kingpin

Re: Crash Statistics of riders wearing gear vs no gear

Didn't we just do this topic? Sorry but we seem to be beating a dead horse around the entire Pashnit site lately. Weathers been nice we all need to get out & ride. There's about 3 other gear and crash threads going right now. Sorry I'm bored.

Try a search. I'm sure you can find some of the past threads. TY.
    Last edited by FishWitch; 04-22-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha XJ Mongrel

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
    I am trying to compile a general statistic, since I haven't really found one, of riders who are involved in at fault accidents and whether they were wearing gear or not. I'm not talking about just a helmet and a jacket. I'm talking about proper boots, gloves, and pants too. Official statistics always seem to only be concerned with helmet or no helmet but helmets are law in most places. I'm not concerned with what riders have to wear as much as what riders choose to wear.
    The Hurt Report, and other wisdom from the same Doctor.
    Last edited by bosozoku; 04-22-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Name
    Joseph
    Bike(s)
    '09 Honda 600RR

I guess I missed what I was looking for in other threads.

If this is too similar, lock or delete if need be.

Sorry.

Name
    Sydney
    FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!
    Bike(s)
    '05 Victory Kingpin

Search feature is a challenge sometimes. NP. Speaking for myself I prefer the threads dealing with our bikes in the upright position.

Name
    Lyn
    Bike(s)
    V-Star 1100 w/ Hannigan Classic Sidecar

Those wearing AGTATT are most often older riders with more experience and more cash. Noobs just don't always have the cash to gear up so they ride wearing whatever they want to plus a helmet. Young noobs are often more concerned with impressing their peer group than safety. When they crash, fall down and go boom they get hurt worse. The survivors either quit or buy gear.

Name
    Brandon
    Bike(s)
    2006 Yamaha Majesty

This is almost a troll thread. Certainly not by any intention of the OP, but this topic, as I have learned the hard way, can turn into a troll thread quickly. If you are ATGATT then you know you are better off, if you aren't then you defend your right to do so.

I refrain from comment as this scalded dog is still whimpering in the corner from his last lashing.
    It is not image or prestige that makes a difference, but true enjoyment of the ride.

Name
    Kevin
    Bike(s)
    2008 Kawasaki Concours

I am truly ATGATT, never even consider riding without all of my gear. Nothing is more distracting seeing a young kid on a 600 in shorts and a t-shirt or a lady on her harley wearing a tank top.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    thingy with 2 jugs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat101147 View Post
    Those wearing AGTATT are most often older riders with more experience and more cash. Noobs just don't always have the cash to gear up so they ride wearing whatever they want to plus a helmet. Young noobs are often more concerned with impressing their peer group than safety. When they crash, fall down and go boom they get hurt worse. The survivors either quit or buy gear.

Ding! The money answer.
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Name
    Lyn
    Bike(s)
    V-Star 1100 w/ Hannigan Classic Sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by garvin6 View Post
    Nothing is more distracting seeing a young kid on a 600 in shorts and a t-shirt or a lady on her harley wearing a tank top.
    I have 2 questions:

1. Nothing?
    2. Does it have to be "HER" Harley?

Thread Information