Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Pashnit & Cycle World Magazine - 1000 Mile Journey to NorCal

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Re: 1000 Mile Journey to NorCal - Pashnit & Cycle World Magazine

Highway 299 - this is on the far western side

Tim is pointing - We're headed over yonder! See the snow?

Mounting up and getting ready to ride

David Edwards & Tim

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Day 3

Rain. And steady at that. Nothing spoils a good ride like rain. The decision was made to pretty much just cancel the ride at that point. David Edwards had asked me about the weather some time in advance. David, I had said, it's all hit or miss. The nearby Lost Cost region (near Fortuna & Ferndale) is known for being one of the wettest spots on the Pacific Coast - over 200 inches of rain per year.

Sure enough, it was steady. Then it would stop. Then it would start up again. That sort of thing. At least it wasn't pouring.

The group gathered up in the lobby of the hotel, and I pulled out a map. "We're here", I said pointing at Weaverville in the AAA map of NorCal. We want to go here. I pointed at the Bay Area at the bottom of the paper.

Our original plan was to travel back out to the coast and cut back in to Boonville, a tiny town along Highway 128 in a wine producing area of the Anderson Valley. The largest hotel in town only had a couple rooms. This plan was now thrown out the window, as no one was much interested in touring in the rain. Plus this rain was supposed to be up and down the Pacific Coast for the next two days. Oh well. Another ride that was cut out was Alderpoint Rd. A backroad that makes south from Mad River along Highway Hwy 36 and heads south around the backside of the Avenue of the Giants to Garberville.

Alderpoint Road, Humboldt County

View of the Trinity Alps from the hotel - wee bit of snow up there. To the north is the Scott Mountain Summit of around 5000 ft on Highway 3.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Jay wanted to get a group shot, so we all lined up for that. Keith rolled out the XT600 and with one kick, it fired right up. Oblivious to the incessent trouble it had given him yesterday. He seemed pleased.

Then it died as if cogizant of the ire it could raise. No amount of kicking seemed to rouse it. Mark Cernicky came to the rescue, and as if he knew something now one else did, somehow got it running.

The XR80 & the YSR50 in the van for the ride south.

Unfortunately, Mark also wasn't exactly thrilled to be relagated to the van with the XR80. He probably would have enjoyed the ensuing ride up and over the 4000 ft Hayfork Pass - Highway 3, but oh well. His ride was over too. Amazingly, the XR80 had held up till then, unlike the YSR50 which they had literally taken the apart and put back together the night before.

Mark Cernicky

we lined the bikes up, Jay got his shot, and we were off. I led the riders to Hayfork Pass, and then waved them on. This was not the Venture's home turf. The smaller bikes raced ahead despite the wet pavement. The rain for the moment had subsided.

Hayfork Pass if you are not familiar, is a low mountain pass. A literal up and over coming down into the tiny alcove of Hayfork. Aside from the usual ranching and logging - they make fireworks here. As in the big ones.

The ride itself is super twisty, and last time through here on a previous Pashnit Tour following the rider in front of me taping the whole way- the ride to the summit was a mere 4 exhilerating full-tilt miles of of video tape. This time, it was much more in the wet mountain curves, but everyone made it fine.

Arriving in Hayfork. Brian Catterson, David Edwards and Kevin Kim

In Hayfork, while some riders topped off, we enjoyed the locals. The car filling up next door was so beat up, a two-by-four was sticking out of the hood. A nearby truck looked like it'd been magically time-machine transported out of the 1960's. Ah, how I love small towns.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

After a quick ride to Highway 36 with Don Canet blasting past the group on the GSXR, As the riders began ascending, the temperatures began to drop. I lead the riders to the summit, and straight into a world of white, as in snow.

Who's left of the Cycle World Crew

Snow covered all the pine trees and sides of the road- we in turn pulled over while the Cycle World crew hopped off bikes to stomp feet, and relayer. Rain, snow - this Pashnit Tour had it all.

The South Fork Mountain Summit is another 4000 ft pass, and we'd hit the snow line, typically around 4000 ft.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Mark Hoyer looking a bit cold, David Catterson & David Edwards

To the north lie South Fork Mountain Rd - Titlow Hill Rd which is a 50 mile long piece of backroad heaven. Middle of nowhere absolute nothingness. But also covered in quite a bit of snow this time of year.

Tim getting ready to ride in his Frog Togs.

Let's ride says David. Freakin' cold out here!

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

The view... (this is looking south) Really something to look into those roiliing dark clouds and say...

"Okay boys, follow me!! That's where we're headed!!! So ya lovin' this Pashnit Tour or what!"

Quite a difference from previous rides through here when the same shot looked like this!

Time to head down the hill. With everyone relayered, it was time to assail Highway 36 on over to the coast.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

But the weather had other plans, as soon as we left it began to rain. See, now we were on the west side of the range, and the rain simply carried on a steady plan of falling from the sky.

A steady pace, and I led the group to Dinsmore to fill up. While some of the bikes topped off, Keith took his hand away from the throttle of the XT600 and it died. And promptly wouldn't start.

And that was that. No amount of kicking that thing over would get it to start up. The disappointment roiled about, but Keith's ride was over. Assuming the chase was behind us, we left Keith there with Tim and his FJR to keep company of our charges.

Little did we know that Jay, while holding a map of the region in his hand, missed the turnoff south onto Highway 3-Hayfork pass and continued travelling the opposite direction of the tour group. Now in the direction of I-5 and Mt Shasta. It would be awhile before they realized their mistake, and as a result Tim & Keith waited for some time.

The closer we got to Fortuna, the more it began to rain. Don Canet, who probably wasn't to thrilled with the pace I was setting on the Venture, passed me in a cloud of roiling mist on the GSXR1000 and we never saw him again. He rode all the way to Marin solo.

Finally, the skies opened up and was an all out downpour. I crouched down behind the full-fairings of the Venture and we rode on. Finally, we made it to the junction of Hwy 101, rolled a few miles north to the Eel River Brewing Co on the edge of Fortuna, and began to peel off all the wet layers. That was a good meal. The cold and wet we'd just come through must have something to do with that.

Drying off at the Eel River Brewing Co in Fortuna

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

A ride south along Highway 101 was rather uneventful until Mark simply pulled the RD350 to the side of the 4-lane highway.

Seems he'd run out of oil. Not gas. Oil.

Throughout this ride, I'd been more and more impressed with the little RD350. This was the bike that was someone's first back in the day. Or the bike that carried someone through college. It was the type of motorcylce you remembered, maybe even pined for.

It was also the most durable little motorcycle you'd ever seen. One thing about Mark Hoyer, he always seemed to know what to do. He pulled to the side, pulled off the side cover to the motor, and began fiddling with the primer pump after pouring some of the motor oil I'd been carrying (just for this sort of moment - well, sort of) into the oil tank.

Pouring oil I was carrying into the oil tank under the seat.

But you have to prime it too. Then he popped off the hose that led to the engine case and began turning a small dial. He was priming the oil line. My, how far we've come. So stood on the side of the road, and of course it began to rain, and Mark again coaxed the RD350 to life again.

After running it out of oil. Imagine that.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

The next thing he did surprised me even more. He simply poured the remaining oil into the gas tank. "This is even in the manual", he exclaimed with the smile. Seems you could measure how well the RD350 was running by how much blue smoke was coming out of the twin tailpipes.

Lo and behold, even after running the motor out of oil, once Mark primed it, the little motorcycle started right up.

We stopped at the log house awhile later and regrouped.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Bit of history for you...

Lot of logging history up this way

Thread Information