Thread: Laporte Rd

no role model MyLife on TwoWheels's Avatar
    Name
    Ray
    Bike(s)
    DL650, KLR650

Laporte Rd

Rode Laporte Rd. then 70/89 to 89 Greenville/Chester Tues.
    There was a lot of road construction, I had to wait twenty minutes for the pilot car a couple miles outa Laporte, then had to follow the pilot car for ten miles, took me about forty-five mins to go ten miles.
    I only stopped to take a couple of pics, and they didn't turn out very good. Sorry.

First crappy pic is of the Fabulous Historic Union Hotel in Laporte .

Funny story about that place (well, I thought it was funny anyway...),
    About fourteen yrs ago my girlfriend at the time won "dinner and over-night accomodations" for two by being the tenth caller to a radio station, at what was continuously refered to in the promo as "The Fabulous Historic Union Hotel in Laporte". Needless to say, we were elated over the prospect of spending the weekend for free in our luxury accomodations, but what we found was just a little more rustic than we'd expected.
    First of all, back then, Laporte was the "end of the road" so to speak, and a very long, narrow, windy one at that. It took us about two hrs just to drive there from Chico by car. By the time we got there, the sun was already going down and we checked in and decided to go to the saloon for a cocktail before dinner, but when we got there, we found one of the two only other couples in the hotel that night already there and drunk to the point of being boisterous, so we called off the cocktail and went to the restaraunt for our complementary dinner. I made the mistake of ordering the giant cheeseburger from the menu and promptly bit down on a chunk of ground up bone and broke one of my teeth! We closed down the kitchen and then headed up to our room, which had all of the charm and charactor that one would expect of a hotel nearly a hundred and fifty years old, went to bed and proceeded to do what young couples are inclined to do in a complimentary hotel room, and just as we were falling asleep, we hear the voice of a woman screaming and running up and down the halls of the vacant hotel knocking and pounding on each door begging for help yelling "he's killing her! he's killing her!" until she got to our door, at which time I answered "if you don't GTF away from our door, you'll be next"!
    Next morning we went out to the parking lot to get into our car, and the window right above the door was broken and the bathroom sink was laying right next to the bumper of our car!
    Come to find out, the drunk couple destroyed their room and then jumped in their car and left just like nothing had happened before the sheriff could make the three hr drive from Yuba City.
    Oh well...that's neither here nor there...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Ray
    Bike(s)
    DL650, KLR650

Re: Laporte Rd

On the Laporte Rd.

Name
    Ray
    Bike(s)
    DL650, KLR650

Lake Almanor.

Name
    Ray
    Bike(s)
    DL650, KLR650

Once past the constuction area, the pavement was in great shape, a few rocks and some gravel, but nothing too bad.Also, there are a couple of decreasing radius turns on this one, something you'll want to keep in mind.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Bunch of gravel patches. Waiting the 20 min was a bummer, but oh well. Makes you wonder why, or what they're doing, since it was brand new pavement only a short time ago.

Here's the scene while waiting to go. The views are worth it though!

Lil bit of this too I'd say ride this westbound if possible.

Makes Skaggs Spring Rd. look like miserable excuse for a road was my thought while riding this.

Thread Information