Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The new bike search... Busa vs. FJR - ??

Hybrid View

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

The new bike search... Busa vs. FJR - ??

(Webmaster Note: Thought I'd repost today's email... someone might have 2 cents to throw in for Gary.)

Gary writes:

I've got a '77 KZ100 with an old windjammer fairing. I still love the bike, but it's getting to be difficult to get replacement parts. Therefore the decision to buy a new bike. To date, I've always liked a quick handling bike, that can move when called upon, however, I'm starting to get hit with the "you're too old [54] for those type of bikes and you need to get a HD or Gold Wing. Since, I'm the type that hangs on to my stuff for years (such as having a 28 year old KZ) I'm researching all aspects of this decision.

Along those lines, I'm renting a HD Electra Glide for a trip to Vegas this weekend. I've never had a bike with a forward foot position and it should be an interesting excursion. That is why I was interested in checking out the 'busa, as well. I was a little concerned, as I've talked to people who said that I would probably want to add risers and a double bubble fairing to make the 'busa more comfortable for 2-4+ hour rides. I noticed some of the modifications on pashnit.com, but didn't notice anything that would really affect the rider's position. I'm around 6' and 250 lbs., still very active (powerlifting), but the knees are starting to show a little wear and tear.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might offer. ALSO, any particular dealer that you'd recommend for purchase of a 'busa? I live in Bakersfield, but don't mind driving.

Lastly, have you had any feedback on the Yamaha FJR1300?

------

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Re: The new bike search... Busa vs. FJR

Gary - as for the positioning, you point out an interesting subtle thing about that very popular webpage I wrote about modifying a motorcycle for sport-touring. http://www.pashnit.com/hayabusa-mods.htm I've done no real change to the body position. Yes my own busa is almost all stock in that area. Other than the Tobin Seat, which drops you down a bit. I even tossed the ZG Double Bubble, and went to the ZG SR, basically an improved version of stock that allows you to see the gauges.

I like the position of the bike so much, I haven't fiddled with that. But I'm also 5'9 & 170, so your size may be a huge factor in how the bike feels. The bike is popular with riders that are, well, larger.

As for the FJR, this is another bike with a huge following. I have ridden my partners, and the major difference to me right away is a very upright, and up high, seating position (he had gen-mar risers I believe, and a re-tooled seat by C. Bailey). I have always maintained stuff like this is a matter of preference- you just need to sit on 'em and see what you like. I'm not too particular to the FJR, but I prefer a little more sport-orientated bike right now. The 165 horsepower ain't half bad either.

As for age - I get a bit of a chuckle out of this. It is an older crowd it seems that owns a Hayabusa (it is definetely not a first bike), the oldest I'm aware of is a 72 yr old Busa owner so you tell me.

As for dealers, can't reccommend there, I posted to a busa message board I wanted one, and after a bit of time, someone piped up they had exactly what I was looking for. I have always bought private, and didn't buy unless I had cash.

Name
    Erik
    Bike(s)
    2007 Z1000

Re: The new bike search... Busa vs. FJR

I'd recommend the ZRX 1200 for him,still old school yet modern.Great deals can found on them used also.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Re: The new bike search... Busa vs. FJR - ??

Something like this perhaps...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Erik
    Bike(s)
    2007 Z1000

oh yeah! I love that bike,brings back fond memories of days gone by.it's no slouch, it makes 120 advertised hp (112 hp in reality) and gobs of torque.

Name
    Will
    Bike(s)
    '02 Moto Guzzi Le Ma

I got two words for ya...

Moto frickin Guzzi

ok ok ok maybe that's three words

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    thingy with 2 jugs

ER, how about a 1978 Yammer RD 400 tweaked a bit?

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    DR-Z 400, 2007 Harley 1200R

You didn't mention a price range, and I don't know what you are looking for. Some other good options are V-strom 1000 for more upright sitting, and the fore mentioned ZRX 1200.Also the Suzuki Bandit is a good one to look at.

I am about your size, 38 with a screwed up back so the sport bike position does not work for me. I call it the monkey "romancing" a football position. I rented a Harley fatboy last year. It was very comfortable for me, but not enough power not to mention the $$. When I was 19 I had a KZ750 LTD and the quickness and power saved my life once. Since then I like a bike with lots of power even though I ride pretty consertivley.

The best thing to do is sit on several bikes and see what you like. There are lots of great bikes out there.
    It's the journey, not the destination.

John

Name
    brandon
    Bike(s)
    96 nighthawk 250, 98 900RR,2002 honda f4i

I sat on a v strom , seat is real high compared to my cbr , and im 6ft,1. looks like a good bike though. went to Chapparal in san bernadino, its a wherehouse full of bikes. great time to look and compare,

Name
    Vince
    Bike(s)
    DR650, GT1000

Gary,

Do a little looking around http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/clasqm/homepage.html

And come back with a few more particulars.

I was seriously looking at the FJR as it was the closest Sport Tourer to my Bandit 1200s.

Ended up getting the Honda ST1300. A little less power, a little more weight but it has demonstrated reliability and is sooooo smooth. Like you I tend to keep my bikes so with the ST I should be good for 100k easy.

And of course the wife thinks it looks better than the FJR after she saw one parked next to mine on a poker run. Oh, she likes riding pillion on it also.
    “A man with a brief case can steal more money than a man with a gun” Don Henley

Thread Information