Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Need a ride suggestion..

  1. #1
    Cruisin' NorCal PT_Cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    295

    Need a ride suggestion..

    Ok, so I have my new Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe and I'm still in the all critical 600 mile "break in" period. I would like to significantly help my bike get much closer to that 600 mile mark this weekend by taking a ride.

    Here are some of my criteria:
    1. I'm probably going to ride 2-up - so nothing very hair-pinny.
    2. It's a cruiser, heavy and new to me - so nothing very hair-pinny.
    3. I still have to keep the RPMs down - so nothing very extreme.
    4. I am at about 250 miles right now.. so I would like to accomplish at least a couple hundred miles on this ride.
    5. I'm starting in Roseville, CA

    Is there an already established road/ride that you might suggest to help me get my bike to this important milestone?

    Thanks,
    PT
    '07 Suzuki Burgman 650
    Happy Feet!
    visit my band at The Trist Website and our CD Triangulation

  2. #2
    Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24 motowriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sac
    Posts
    4,124

    Re: Need a ride suggestion..

    Quote Originally Posted by trist_pat
    Ok, so I have my new Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe and I'm still in the all critical 600 mile "break in" period. I would like to significantly help my bike get much closer to that 600 mile mark this weekend by taking a ride.

    Here are some of my criteria:
    1. I'm probably going to ride 2-up - so nothing very hair-pinny.
    2. It's a cruiser, heavy and new to me - so nothing very hair-pinny.
    3. I still have to keep the RPMs down - so nothing very extreme.
    4. I am at about 250 miles right now.. so I would like to accomplish at least a couple hundred miles on this ride.
    5. I'm starting in Roseville, CA

    Is there an already established road/ride that you might suggest to help me get my bike to this important milestone?

    Thanks,
    PT
    Hwy 50 to Sly Park Rd. Sly Park to Mormon Emigrant Trail. Mormon Emigrant to Hwy 88. Hwy 88 to Jackson/Hwy 49. Hwy 49 to Hwy 50.

    There's a couple of hairy sections on 49, north of Plymouth, so you could always cruise west on E-16 north of Drytown and take that into Sac (at Fair Oaks Blvd... or is it Sunrise?).

    Mormon Emigrant and 88 are very nice roads and offer excellent scenery. Plus it's nice and cool up there! Hwy 49 can get a bit hot this time of year. Have you ever ridden up through the gold rush towns (Sutter Creek, Amador City, etc.)? It's a fun ride for a couple. Sutter Creek is a nice place to stop and stroll the historic downtown.

    Have fun no matter where ya go!

    G

  3. #3
    Cruisin' NorCal PT_Cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    295

    Re: Need a ride suggestion..

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    ... Hwy 49 can get a bit hot this time of year. Have you ever ridden up through the gold rush towns (Sutter Creek, Amador City, etc.)? It's a fun ride for a couple. Sutter Creek is a nice place to stop and stroll the historic downtown.

    Have fun no matter where ya go!

    G
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about going up to Sly Park and environs.. that might be good.

    Yes, I did do a ride about 3 weeks ago (just before I got my new bike) by heading up Interstate 80 to Indian Hill Road to Auburn-Folsom Road over to Highway 50. Off at Latrobe Road to 49 and then up through Fiddletown to 88(?) then down to Jackson and back. It was really nice.. But getting up a little higher sounds like an excellent idea.

    Thanks,
    PT
    '07 Suzuki Burgman 650
    Happy Feet!
    visit my band at The Trist Website and our CD Triangulation

  4. #4
    Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24 motowriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sac
    Posts
    4,124

    Re: Need a ride suggestion..

    Quote Originally Posted by trist_pat
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about going up to Sly Park and environs.. that might be good.

    Yes, I did do a ride about 3 weeks ago (just before I got my new bike) by heading up Interstate 80 to Indian Hill Road to Auburn-Folsom Road over to Highway 50. Off at Latrobe Road to 49 and then up through Fiddletown to 88(?) then down to Jackson and back. It was really nice.. But getting up a little higher sounds like an excellent idea.

    Thanks,
    PT
    Oh, and if that loop isn't enough miles you could go to the end of 88 and then jog back north to 50. Hwy 50 from the Tahoe area back down to Sac is another nice ride, although it gets a little congested. Or just go all the way up 88 and double-back. Great thing about 88 and 50 is that they are car-friendly so the twisties aren't much to tackle. (A reason we twisty-freaks prefer the other passes to the south. )

  5. #5
    Senior Member RolnCode3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    989

    Re: Need a ride suggestion..

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    and take that into Sac (at Fair Oaks Blvd... or is it Sunrise?).
    Sunrise. Fair Oaks is north of the river in Carmichael. Hwy 16 (Jackson Hwy) runs into Sunrise and a bunch of other major streets in the south area.
    "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, Don't Fail Me Now" - Elwood

  6. #6
    The Lost Tourguide kluts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sector S
    Posts
    4,217

    Re: Need a ride suggestion..

    Definitely stay high up. Will be HOT this weekend. 88 over Carson is a good idea. Stay high until 5-6 PM and then cruise back down Emigrant and 50 and home by 8, still light enough.

    OR: 20-80-Old 40:

    Since you are in Roseville, go north on 65 to 20 out of Marysville, up to 49 and Nevada City. Proceed straight up 20 to Yuba Gap. 20 itself is interesting and has very few "twisty" places (they can be taken at posted speeds quite comfortably). Donner is exciting but can be taken leisurely and the view is a stunner. Continue to Truckee via Old Hwy 40 and Donner Pass (exit: Ski/Recreation areas/Soda Springs). Nice places in Truckee to get iced tea and a sammich.

    You can work your way back down 80 (if traffic is an issue take some of the old highway 40 segments, they are there and very relaxing, such as Kingvale- start at the ski area exit again, but bear right as you head west) to Rainbow-Big Bend-Cisco, then return to 80 over Yuba and exit at Dutch flat to Gold Run, Secret Town-- there are also others you can ferret out). At Newcastle get off and take Taylor Road (old 40 again) through the tunnel under Newcastle. This allows rest stops for your pillion who will otherwise be hot and uncomfortable.

    Advantage: 250 miles almost exactly, and it dumps you back home.

    Just some thoughts.

    Enjoy.

  7. #7
    Cooligan CRASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Posts
    3,395

    Re: Need a ride suggestion..

    Sunrise Blvd south to HWY 16.
    Meet up with the gaggle of us coming from the north bay
    South on 16 to 49 to 4 to CALAVERAS BIG TREES
    Hang out with all the PASHINITES at the BBQ
    Return the same route that night or the next day. (I'm heading home that night so I could ride with you a good part of the way depending on what route you take).

    101 miles each way ... so there you got 202 miles minimum.

    Wasn't that answer pretty obvious?
    - CRASH -
    AMA# 1103547
    BMWMOA# 159231
    IBA# 21680
    Jenny's # 867-5309
    "These are my Pashnit/Passionate boys." - Tyler Risk

  8. #8
    Gettin' Dirty Again vnsfxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lake County, CA
    Posts
    1,400

    Re: Need a ride suggestion..

    Quote Originally Posted by trist_pat
    Ok, so I have my new Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe and I'm still in the all critical 600 mile "break in" period.
    The most important thing you can do to a new motor is change the oil within the 1st 100 miles 'cause that's when the majority of seating happens and gets any gunk from those intiial seating of parts out of the engine.

    Of course then you have my ST as an example........after the second oil change there is still nothing on the magnetic drain plug. Guess they put it together right. I must add that in 35+ yrs of bikes this is the only bike that has done this.

    You'll be fine on the routes mentioned only a couple semi-tight spots just drive your own pace.
    “A man with a brief case can steal more money than a man with a gun” Don Henley

  9. #9
    Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24 motowriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sac
    Posts
    4,124

    Re: Need a ride suggestion..

    Gotta love this place... all these great suggestions! Dan, your "obvious" answer didn't even occur to me. Another great idea!! Would be cool to see you and yer partner there, Pat!

  10. #10
    Cruisin' NorCal PT_Cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    295

    Re: Need a ride suggestion..

    Quote Originally Posted by CRASH
    Sunrise Blvd south to HWY 16.
    Meet up with the gaggle of us coming from the north bay
    South on 16 to 49 to 4 to CALAVERAS BIG TREES
    Hang out with all the PASHINITES at the BBQ
    Return the same route that night or the next day. (I'm heading home that night so I could ride with you a good part of the way depending on what route you take).

    101 miles each way ... so there you got 202 miles minimum.

    Wasn't that answer pretty obvious?
    All righty.. first question is: Am I blind or is there some calendar of events on this site that I'm missing that would have told me about your gaggle riding to Calaveras Big Trees?

    Secondly, I'm assuming that is happening on Saturday, yes? If so, I'm afraid I'll miss it because of my son's birthday. So my ride this weekend will have to occur on Sunday.

    The 65 to 20 to Nevada City ride sounds fun.. perhaps with a side trip by Bullard's Bar reservoir and such.. But the Calaveras big trees sounds great too since I've never been there. Then again, mormon emigrant trail and Sly Park and 88 has strong appeal (I always remember Sly Park fondly from camping as a kid).. decisions, decisions..

    By the way, my pillion will likely be my daughter this time and not my wife.. but either way I'll get to thoroughly test out my new autocom system..
    '07 Suzuki Burgman 650
    Happy Feet!
    visit my band at The Trist Website and our CD Triangulation

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Saddle Sore 1000 - 1000 Miles in 24 Hours
    By CRASH in forum Articles
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM
  2. Ukiah via Lake County's Wine Country
    By kluts in forum Articles
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 02:35 PM
  3. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 12:53 AM
  4. Rivers and falls... A ride to Yosemite National Park
    By Papa-Ken in forum California - Road Trips & Pics, pics, pics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 07:40 PM
  5. G's next ride - Hwy 49, Mariposa to Angels Camp
    By motowriter in forum California - Road Trips & Pics, pics, pics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 10:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •