I have been meaning to post this up. To read the start of this saga http://rossmz.blogspot.com/search/la...ylinder%20stud
Here is what happened today to fix it....
So how to fix this stripped cylinder stud? Get another engine. Yep I have had throw magic beans at Motohansa and buy an engine from them. Seems I have an R80 engine. Comparing the engine number against the data base at http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/chassispage...chassis800.htm it looks like the engine came out of a R80RT from October 1982. It is coated in what is almost grease. The oil is that thick on the casings. R/H cylinder was leaking at 80% in a leak down test. L/H exhaust nut thread on the cylinder is trashed. So my current barrels etc will be fitted to this new old engine to fix this. It does turn freely so at the end of the day all I need is the crankshaft and casing. So a big parts swap is about to happen.
Sonny (aka Rockster) helped me to collect the bike this morning. We both drooled over the low kilometer Japanese grey import BMWR100Rsís they have. Both in very good nick. Go mate swap the Rockster for one of the RSís. ;-)
So starts the head scratching! "Will it be there when we get back to my place????"
"I wont worry about it. It's Ross's bike. Time to relax and read latest Cycle Torque...."
Loaded up and back to Sonnyís place. He has a 2 car garage. I just have a carport. Not the best place to do and engine swap with rain blowing in. His garage is BMW central at the moment.
We attacked the LT. Sonnyís sons help out too. Go on ya chaps. Thank you for helping. First up the swing arm came out. Then it was not long before we had the gearbox out. The engine electrics attacked. Engine bolts undone. Between the 2 of us we then moved engine back in the frame. We pivoted it so the front was pointing down and out to the left came the engine. So simple! While this was going on Sonnyís youngest son was degreasing the new old engine.
"I have taken gearboxes out before. I swear I have...."
"See I told ya I had taken gearboxes out....."
If it don't fit force it....
Time for the swap. Old new engine in the frame. A bit of fiddling with spacers and a flat file on one damaged engine mount face the engine bolts go in.
Your writer doing things to a BMW that should not be shown in public....
We are doing so well..... HAHAHAHAHAHA.... Thatís what we thought. The new old engine has no clutch fitted. I look at my clutch and the manual and see that some special tools are needed. Also the timing marks on the flywheel scared us at first.
One of Sonnyís neighbours, Mick, had been over a few times to see how we are going. When he heard about the clutch he went off back to his place. He came back real soon and said a mate of his John was coming over. He had worked for a BMW bike dealer in Sydney and knew a lot about BMWs. John is not a mechanic. He was spares guy but knew his stuff. He arrived and took all our fear of stuffing up the clutch away. With his help we had the clutch out. He also pointed out that the rear main seal in the new old engine was not there. Sonny and I didnít even know it was missing. John saved us from another disaster just waiting to spring itself on us. Also he suggested that to get TDC right on the new old engine that the barrels come off, which they are anyway, and when the con rod is all the way out on the crankshaft you are at TDC. Again so simple but we didnít even think of it.
All tools have been downed. More parts have to be bought to be able to do the barrels and piston swap. New rear main seal. I think we can have this bike back on the road next weekend. Well thatís what I am aiming for. Knowing me something will rear itís ugly head and throw me into a wobbly again.
I have to thank Sonny and his family for letting me have Sonny for the day. A big thanks mate for all your help. Also to Paul (aka spottedquoll) for all the hints and tips over the phone and on the BikeMe forums. Thank you so much mate.