Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stripped cylinder stud

Name
    Ross
    Bike(s)
    2002 1200 Bandit

Hammer Head2 Stripped cylinder stud

I have been meaning to post this up. To read the start of this saga http://rossmz.blogspot.com/search/la...ylinder%20stud

Here is what happened today to fix it....

So how to fix this stripped cylinder stud? Get another engine. Yep I have had throw magic beans at Motohansa and buy an engine from them. Seems I have an R80 engine. Comparing the engine number against the data base at http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/chassispage...chassis800.htm it looks like the engine came out of a R80RT from October 1982. It is coated in what is almost grease. The oil is that thick on the casings. R/H cylinder was leaking at 80% in a leak down test. L/H exhaust nut thread on the cylinder is trashed. So my current barrels etc will be fitted to this new old engine to fix this. It does turn freely so at the end of the day all I need is the crankshaft and casing. So a big parts swap is about to happen.

Sonny (aka Rockster) helped me to collect the bike this morning. We both drooled over the low kilometer Japanese grey import BMWR100Rsís they have. Both in very good nick. Go mate swap the Rockster for one of the RSís. ;-)

So starts the head scratching! "Will it be there when we get back to my place????"

"I wont worry about it. It's Ross's bike. Time to relax and read latest Cycle Torque...."

Loaded up and back to Sonnyís place. He has a 2 car garage. I just have a carport. Not the best place to do and engine swap with rain blowing in. His garage is BMW central at the moment.

We attacked the LT. Sonnyís sons help out too. Go on ya chaps. Thank you for helping. First up the swing arm came out. Then it was not long before we had the gearbox out. The engine electrics attacked. Engine bolts undone. Between the 2 of us we then moved engine back in the frame. We pivoted it so the front was pointing down and out to the left came the engine. So simple! While this was going on Sonnyís youngest son was degreasing the new old engine.

"I have taken gearboxes out before. I swear I have...."

"See I told ya I had taken gearboxes out....."

If it don't fit force it....

Time for the swap. Old new engine in the frame. A bit of fiddling with spacers and a flat file on one damaged engine mount face the engine bolts go in.

Your writer doing things to a BMW that should not be shown in public....

We are doing so well..... HAHAHAHAHAHA.... Thatís what we thought. The new old engine has no clutch fitted. I look at my clutch and the manual and see that some special tools are needed. Also the timing marks on the flywheel scared us at first.

One of Sonnyís neighbours, Mick, had been over a few times to see how we are going. When he heard about the clutch he went off back to his place. He came back real soon and said a mate of his John was coming over. He had worked for a BMW bike dealer in Sydney and knew a lot about BMWs. John is not a mechanic. He was spares guy but knew his stuff. He arrived and took all our fear of stuffing up the clutch away. With his help we had the clutch out. He also pointed out that the rear main seal in the new old engine was not there. Sonny and I didnít even know it was missing. John saved us from another disaster just waiting to spring itself on us. Also he suggested that to get TDC right on the new old engine that the barrels come off, which they are anyway, and when the con rod is all the way out on the crankshaft you are at TDC. Again so simple but we didnít even think of it.

All tools have been downed. More parts have to be bought to be able to do the barrels and piston swap. New rear main seal. I think we can have this bike back on the road next weekend. Well thatís what I am aiming for. Knowing me something will rear itís ugly head and throw me into a wobbly again.

I have to thank Sonny and his family for letting me have Sonny for the day. A big thanks mate for all your help. Also to Paul (aka spottedquoll) for all the hints and tips over the phone and on the BikeMe forums. Thank you so much mate.
    My Motorcycle Blog!... http://rossmz.blogspot.com

Name
    Stephen
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1200RT SE

Re: Stripped cylinder stud

Wow!

What a project. I'd never have the nerve to attempt such a job. I'm too lazy and just have to buy a
    new motorbike every time the ashtray is full

Can't wait to see how it all goes.

I hope everything fits together perfectly and that it all works first time.

Optimism rules eh?

Thanks for sharing.

Stephen

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    Honda St 1300 '03

I too would never attempt such a project. Good post.

Bill

Name
    Cy
    Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G

Thumbup Re: Stripped cylinder stud

Quote Originally Posted by stevewc View Post
    Wow!

What a project. I'd never have the nerve to attempt such a job. I'm too lazy and just have to buy a
    new motorbike every time the ashtray is full
    I guess I'll have to post as I work on my 400 this spring. I'm looking forward to going through and doing the complete restoration on it. To me half the fun is tinkering with the machine.

Name
    Ross
    Bike(s)
    2002 1200 Bandit

As much as this has been a real pain I am loving what I am learning about BMW engines. I fully agree with tinkering. I get just as much out of that as riding. Well almost as much as riding.

Name
    Cy
    Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G

Quote Originally Posted by FUTURE View Post
    As much as this has been a real pain I am loving what I am learning about BMW engines. I fully agree with tinkering. I get just as much out of that as riding. Well almost as much as riding.
    Riding is always better, but when you can't ride, tinker. When you can't tinker get on the computer and talk about riding or tinkering.

I have been thinking long and hard about a new bike in the future (next year or so) and without regard to the way things are going right now I have come to the conclusion that I just don't care for most of the new bikes these days. I don't like cruisers, and I'm not really that into most sport bikes or sport cruisers, I like the older traditional street bike riding and seating style. I'm gonna stick with those for the near future, I just like them more, what can I say?

Name
    Ross
    Bike(s)
    2002 1200 Bandit

Photos will go up later from todays work.
    The engine is back together. Cylinders, pistons and heads have been swapped. The engine stud in the old new engine did not strip when I torqued it up. Helps when you torque in small jumps. Engines runs so sweetly too. It was fantastic to hear it running again.

BUT!!

We have put the clutch back together incorrectly. I think we have put a pressure plate in the wrong way around. So when the engine is running and you pull the clutch in the engine stops dead. The one circled in red and the highlighted raised bits are what I think is grabbing the clutch.

We will take the gear box out and undo the pressure plates tomorrow.

Name
    Stephen
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1200RT SE

Fantastic news about the engine.

Very well done, I'm impressed.

Shame you had to go and try to move the bike...

Still, at least you know what's gone wrong.

You'll only be able to post a few pictures at a time as Tim's got server problems.

Keep us posted.

Stephen

Name
    Matthew
    Bike(s)
    Toura-busa

Quote Originally Posted by FUTURE View Post
    I think we have put a pressure plate in the wrong way around. So when the engine is running and you pull the clutch in the engine stops dead.
    Funny, My Jeep has the same issue when my wife trys to drive.

Good job on the rebuild. I applaud you for your work, more than I'd try at this point.
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

Name
    Ross
    Bike(s)
    2002 1200 Bandit

I forgot to put the flywheel cap from the previous engine onto this one. This goes on the end of the crankshaft. Well didn't forget, didn't know that it needed it. Sounds stupid but when you are working with an engine that is no complete and you are not sure how compatible the engine are you can end up doing this. No wonder the flywheel is grinding into the crankcase. So off comes the swingarm. Gearbox etc again.

Do the above, new sump gasket. It should be ok. Famous last words? I hope not. Not again.

Thread Information