Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AutoCom Communicators vs. everyone else - pros & cons

Name
    Dale
    Bike(s)
    Goldwing 1800

Re: AutoCom Communicators vs. everyone else - pros & cons

Dale,

Do those attenuate? (& if so; how much?)
    John - normally you're going to have some kind of volume control with whatever you have these or other headsets hooked up to. In my case I have AM/FM, MP3 (seldom used anymore) and a XM radio (used 99.999%) that my headset taps into. Otherwise you could just rig some kind of volume control or potentiometer to your setup and control your volume output.

Think of these as what you might plug into a Ipod or MP3 player (and such) to give you quality listening in a helmet and motorcycling (which is pretty darn nice when you get used to it or spend lots of hours on a ride).

DaleC

P.S. But to answer you question on how much - potentially, I can hear quite clearly great sounds at most any speed and have more volume output available if needed. I still can hear what's going on with my motorcycle and traffic around me too, which obviously is important and critical.

Name
    NorCalBusa
    Bike(s)
    Duh?

Thanks. I was after what attenuation they provided for ambient noise. Found a cool chart in the meantime as well Dale; check out;CHART

Name
    Dale
    Bike(s)
    Goldwing 1800

Great link and thanks for forwarding. Isn't the web amazing sometimes with the info available. Looks like the pro's were expecting your question. I'll send it to my friend too, he will appreciate it.

DaleC

Walk Without Rhythm DavidTaylor's Avatar
    Name
    David
    Bike(s)
    K1300GT

I had an Autocom system on a bike a few years ago and it worked OK. Since the control unit is probably going to be mounted under the seat making adjustments on the fly are impossible, and tuning it in the garage is a crap shoot at best since you don't have the noise factors on the road to test out your adjustments. Another touchy area is that the speakers have to be positioned perfectly over your ears in your helmet or the sound quality will get tinny and ...well... suck. I had a J&M built BMW comm system on my 02 LT and it was a much better unit. I also understand the Baehr units that are around now work pretty well.
    David Taylor
    San Jose, CA
    2009 BMW K1300GT
    1995 BMW R1100GS

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Name
    NorCalBusa
    Bike(s)
    Duh?

I've had Autocom on board for three years and am delighted with it. Works well rider to pillion or bike to bike (I use the Kenwood GMRS/FRS radio with a little remote antenna on the tail). Sound is great up to 125 mph or so (with no wind sock).

Bike(s)
    01'...CBR929RR...

Not to highjack this thread, but is there such an adapter for the Chatterbox so that I could use E2 Shure earphones?

Name
    William
    Bike(s)
    2005 Honda CBR1000RR

We all use Chatterbox. It's cheaper and seems to work pretty well: SBR Chatterbox Review

http://rider559.com -> “Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle”

Name
    NorCalBusa
    Bike(s)
    Duh?

With the exception of one brand that is on 900 meg; Autocomm and Chatterbox can talk to each other. Most are on the FRS (Family Radio Service) or GMRS channels- just got to pick one (and a tone code, if used),

Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    '03 Suzuki B12S + Holeshot Stage I mod/can

Well, I've finally wired my Starcom and now have music, phone and rider-passenger comm. Radio is next, but need to wait to purchase a cable for the radio and a separate cable for PTT, as I'm not thrilled with VOX setup and delays while in-use. So far I can say that I'm very pleased with the helmet install after adjusting speaker placement right over my ear openings...one word: LOUD! Wifey called me up yesterday and scared the B-Jesus outta me! Looking forward to the radio install next ($$).
    It's another great day for a ride!

- Mike
    K6TBR

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    '01 ZR-7S

My bud and I just bought Starcom's. We also went to Fry's and bought a 4 watt handheld tranciever.
    After about a half hour removing the padding from our helmet and wiring the speaker/headphones inside(behind the padding) tried it out and works great.
    The mic is a little close, but rather hear my bud than his bike revving.
    We both wired the bike and ran power up to the handlebars, have the radio and Starcomm unit in a tank bag.

John
    San Francisco

Thread Information