Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snowy Mountains in Summer Downunder

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

Snowy Mountains in Summer Downunder

Marty, Bill and I headed off for 4 days riding in northern Victoria & the Snowy Mountains of NSW. I covered 2,239 kilometers much of it comprised quite "technical" mountain roads, often in heat of up to 40C. The VFR ran flawlessly, as did Marty's Kawasaki ZX9 and Bill's Kawasaki ZZR1200.

Day 1 - 618 Ks, Geelong Vic to Bombala NSW. Marty & I travelled in misty rain via the Princes Hwy to Bairnsdale where we hooked up with Bill who had ridden down there the day before. Fortunately the smoke from the bushfire at Churchill was blowing in the other direction and didn't trouble us at all.

I will post some maps of this tour when I have some more time.

Marty & Bill with their steeds. There are 1038 curves in that 90 kilometer stretch!

Here's the VFR

"Man is capable of changing the world for the better if possible, and of changing himself for the better if necessary."

http://tarsnakes.com.au

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

Re: Snowy Mountains in Summer Downunder

This map shows most of the areas we rode in the Snowys, but not the ride there or return. I will post some maps in due course.

Old settlers hut just over the border into NSW near Delatite. Drizzle had stopped and it was getting hot.

We stayed overnight at the Imperial Hotel in the small town of Bombala, whose best days were many years ago! Bombala is very motorcycle friendly though (eg. given a voucher for free coffee on next visit at a local store) and holds an annual MC event.

"Man is capable of changing the world for the better if possible, and of changing himself for the better if necessary."

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

Day 2 - 550 Ks Bombala to Corryong via a figure 8 tour of some twisty roads in southern NSW (including the Mt Imlay Rd, & Brown Mountain Rd), then Cooma & the Snowy Mountains.

Bill offered me a ride on his ZZR1200 which was quite an experience, for a guy who is only 5'7" tall, however, I was glad I handed it back before all the really twisty downhill stuff on the road to Wyndam!

Bill & Marty near Piper's Lookout - Brown Mountain.

Bill & I - pic by Marty

Nice views & heaps of curves!

Bill & the motorcycles at Tooma Dam in the Snowys - pic by Marty

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

As we travelled through Cooma (NSW) and on to the twisties of the Snowys it got hotter and hotter. There were some small bush fires in the area and we were buzzed by a choppper that was about to fill its water bucket.

Water level is very low. The last time we were here the water was all the way up to the tree line.

We finished the day's riding just back over the border into Victoria, & stayed at the Courthouse Hotel in Corryong, which was our base for 2 nights.

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

Day 3 - 510 Ks, A big day trip loop of the Snowys, taking in the Alpine Hwy. This day was all twisties, including some very pretty though challenging roads. Marty had to leave at this point, which left Bill & I to further explore the Snowys, but without the bikes loaded with our gear.

This is a great ride through the heart of the Snowy Mountains. Lots of twisties (and kangaroos and wild brumbies!)

We stopped at a small town called Tumut. It was in the high 30 degrees Celsius, so we parked under some trees and headed into the air conditioned pub for lunch. All this for just $6.50!

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

As we wound our way back out of the bush and down towards the open countryside near Corryong, we came across a site that commemorates Australia's 1st commercial aviation disaster in 1931. Six passengers and 2 pilots were lost enroute Sydney to Melbourne. More info Southern Cloud

It was really hot by now, about 38C, when we stopped to take these pics.

Even the sheep were hiding in the shade of this lovely eucalyptus!

Day 4 - Corryong back via the Keiwa Valley Hwy to Myrtelford, then through the vineyards to Whitfield, and on to Mansfield for lunch. Bill & I said our goodbyes and I travelled back towards the Hume Hwy via Yea. Bill turned off towards Alexandra to travel into Melbourne via Marysville and the "spurs".

All my pics from this run are at http://www.tarsnakes.smugmug.com/gal...67683553_iTCyb

Post script: Little did we know that Bill's route home would pass through towns that just 3 days later would be obliterated by the worst bush fires Australia has ever experienced. This is a tragedy of enormous proportions. Saturday 7th Feb Melbourne experienced the hottest day ever recorded, and it peaked at 45.5 C (114F) in my hometown, and I live in the southern, temperate part of Aust. The small town of Marysville has lost virtually all homes and is currently closed as a crime scene.

Info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Victorian_bushfires

Pics here http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/bushfires/

Name
    Matthew
    Bike(s)
    Toura-busa

Great ride report Jules! Thanks for taking us along.
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Bike(s)
    07 BMW R1200R

Good lord Jules, an absolutely wonderful ride scarred by the horrible fires! I am nothing short of amazed how mother nature can reap havoc across the lands!

We, here in America are also experiencing some serious water shortages. I have seen some of our reserves and dams dangerously low. We are getting some necessary rains right now, but there will have to be some serious snow pack to get water reserves back up.

It's all a bit scary! Hope it cools down for you and the fires abate.
    cheers,
    d
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment." Papa-Ken

Ride Like a Girl
    Travel Blog for Riders

Name
    Rodney
    Bike(s)
    Honda VT1100T

What is an "wild brumbies" ?
    Great looking ride, had to look up how hot 38 deg c was.
    114 deg. f is to hot to ride in and enjoy it. I hope they get the #%&^&@# that set those fires.

RIDE SAFE
    ROD
    '98 VT1100-T
    so many roads so little time

Name
    Mark
    Bike(s)
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by rrounds View Post
    What is an "wild brumbies" ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brumby
    Matthew 7: 21-27
    "There is no smaller package in the world that that of a person all wrapped up in himself." William Sloane Coffin, Jr.

Thread Information