Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Deer Deterrent Recommendations?

Name
    Kevin
    Bike(s)
    2007 Hayabusa

Deer Deterrent Recommendations?

Hello all.

With it coming to the time of year that I finally get to pull my bike out of the garage, I have developed a concern for protecting our wildlife (read as deer) from an untimely demise by the beast (read as the Busa).

I have been looking for a good deer deterrent system to put on my Busa. For the deer's sake and mine.

What do you all use? What do you all think is the best?

Thanks,
    Scubes13

Name
    Eric
    Bike(s)
    999R Xerox,ST3,M750

Re: Deer Deterrent Recommendations?

use a deer whistle. You should be able to find them at your local auto parts store. No kidding!

Name
    Brian
    Bike(s)
    Triumph Tiger 1050

I really wish that there were a device that actually worked to alert or frighten deer off of roads but unfortunately there isn't. Every study I've read concluded that those devices don't work at all. But I so want them to.

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    1150GS

The deer whistles do not work and for a very good reason...deer have about the same hearing range as humans, so if you can't hear it neither can the deer. Don't believe me? Ask a qualified Wildlife Biologist who has studied deer for about 30 years, I did...

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I've heard all the anecdotal reports of how the deer whistle saved a collision...nope, it was just blind luck y'all...

Name
    Kevin
    Bike(s)
    2007 Hayabusa

Thanks to all of you for the great responses.

I will certainly be grabbing the book you have recommended. It has been long on my to do list to also enroll in a motorcycle riding course.

I suppose I should state here that I never expected a deer horn/whistle to be a 100% deterrent. I also realize that careful riding and awareness trump all other things that one could do or buy.

With that said, I may go ahead and purchase a device and effectively "forget" that I have it installed. If it works, let it. However, I will ride as if it isn't on there.

There again, much thanks for your replies!

Now to figure out how to do the swerving and braking without dumpin my bike.

Name
    Kurt
    Bike(s)
    Street Boeing

With that said, I may go ahead and purchase a device and effectively "forget" that I have it installed. If it works, let it. However, I will ride as if it isn't on there.
    I recommend that you save your money, or use the whistle to annoy dogs. As stated above, there is absolutely no empirical evidence that these things reduce the probability of a deer jumpin' out at you. Follow the advice of Owrstrich. Also keep in mind the crepuscular nature of the beast and be extra careful near dawn and dusk (although they may pop up anytime, they're more active during those time periods).
    I suggest you consult Steinbeck or Huell Howser, because I have no answers for you.

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    Harley Davidson 2003 Sportster 1200 Custom, 2006 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic

Check this one out. I run them on both MC's & have had very good luck with them.

I do agree that the air powered ones that rely on the wind moving through them do not work.

These are powered & different

http://www.xp3hornet.com/index.shtml
    Bill (SklyWag)
    There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Name
    Kurt
    Bike(s)
    Street Boeing

I suffer from CSD (Chronic Sarcasm Disorder), and nothing I say is meant to disparage anyone personally. I disagree with a couple of posts on this deer whistle thing, that's all. I have been riding with the following items in my coin pocket for the last couple of years: A keyring from a Clapton concert (sans ring), four Kennedy half dollars (one of which is a 1964 and therefore silver), and a small sterling silver cross on which is inscribed the Serenity Prayer (how's that for a shock, y'all?) I have not yet hit a deer. Of course, I also tie my right boot first every single time, and I put on my left glove before the right, without fail.

Causation is a subset of correlation. In many, many cases, correlated variables do not exhibit a causative relationship.
    I suggest you consult Steinbeck or Huell Howser, because I have no answers for you.

Name
    James
    Bike(s)
    1996 Honda Valkyrie

Quote Originally Posted by WIRE View Post
    I suffer from CSD (Chronic Sarcasm Disorder), and nothing I say is meant to disparage anyone personally. I disagree with a couple of posts on this deer whistle thing, that's all. I have been riding with the following items in my coin pocket for the last couple of years: A keyring from a Clapton concert (sans ring), four Kennedy half dollars (one of which is a 1964 and therefore silver), and a small sterling silver cross on which is inscribed with the Serenity Prayer (how's that for a shock, y'all?) I have not yet hit a deer. Of course, I also tie my right boot first every single time, and I put on my left glove before the right, without fail.

Causation is a subset of correlation. In many, many cases, correlated variables do not exhibit a causative relationship.
    Very well said!

Name
    Kevin
    Bike(s)
    2007 Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by WIRE View Post
    Follow the advice of Owrstrich. Also keep in mind the crepuscular nature of the beast and be extra careful near dawn and dusk (although they may pop up anytime, they're more active during those time periods).
    I have been very fortunate and bless to be taught very early on by several older and wiser guys that took me under their wing as a sort of "son". These guys were my dad's riding buddies.

They encouraged within me a desire to be safe and aware while riding. Most of you would probably think it a crime to baby and fuss over my Busa if you were to see it in person. I am very stern about not riding over the speed limits; about watching each street and 4-wheeled idiot that comes in my path; and about never riding beyond my ability (including the knowledge of what those abilities are).

I extremely value and appreciate the advice presented by Owrstrich. In fact, I have already purchased the book he suggested after replying to the forum.

As I mentioned above, there is no gidget or gadget that trumphs awareness, carefulness and plain ole' common sense.

First hand, I have seen careless riders find out at 80mph that motorcycles are no match for trash trucks. And that was only my first trip and first day to Daytona. Carelessness has no place on the road - two, four, or more wheels.

Before writing to this forum, I had no idea on any of the background about deer horns/whistles. I didn't know if they were a joke or a real valuable tool. I can certainly understand the false sensation of cause and effect (ie, own a deer horn/whistle, never hit a deer, then it must work). I can also see in my last response that riding with one (and lets assume for one moment that it doesn't work) could provide for a false sense of security, even for a rider who is trying to be careful. Knowing myself and knowing that I am an imperfect human, I couldn't 100% guarantee that I would not allow such a device to make me more relaxed and prone to "playing" or "taking it easy" while riding.

I thank WIRE for his outlining a bit of information about the times when one is more likely to encounter a deer. I have never been a hunter (I know, a sin to not hunt and live in South Carolina... go figure), so these are areas in which I am a bit ignorant.

After everyone's input, I feel it is probably best if I invest my $60~ (cost of the hornet deer horn) in the book that was suggested, some solid motorcycle handling course(s) and maybe scour the Internet about information about deer and their habits/lifestyles/etc. Of course, I won't get all of that for $60, but you get what I am saying.

Now, anyone here a deer expert and can tell me about their life styles, habits and mating rituals? :P Seriously, any information that might be useful to a rider about deer or other such animals would be appreciated.

What things do you all do to make yourselves more aware of animals, careless drivers and/or pedestrians?

Thanks.
    Scubes13!

Thread Information