Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Soft Road Ascent to Tehachapi- Comanche Point Road

Re: Soft Road Ascent to Tehachapi- Comanche Point Road

Great shot, Cabon! Welcome to the forum
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Kinda new round here

great ride , love the spitit of heading off by yourself to learn/teach yourself ... thats how it is done !

Awesome report, wish I had read this before i set out on the road...Talk about reading a post a tad bit to late

I enjoyed this road over the weekend, I was on a Kawasaki Concourse and Suzi was on her Suzuki GSX-750F

No worries, we both have Dirt Bike Modes on the bikes

Great write up you
    "I Just Love Motorcycling"

www.2wheel4fun.com

Retired

Retired and lovin' it tomatocity's Avatar

Been a few months since the last post and a few years since the first post. Hope to get a couple answers and any information.

Had my eye on Comanche Point Road for four to five months but I could see a gate on the east side. You have answered the gate and surface issues.

Will be riding east to west so will be riding downhill most of the way. Will be riding alone a Tenere with luggage on Anakee 3's. I don't have a lot of time off road but want to do more. I have ridden Quatal Canyon Road and will have ridden Mormon Well Road (north of Vegas) up and down by the time I get to here. Can't count all the times I rode Soda Lake Road since it is 19 miles of gravel freeway. Did I mention I do not like soft deep sand of silt and the Tenere agrees.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Tim
    Tim
    '05 KLR 685
    '12 Super Tenere

avatar: Harry "Captain Sacto" Martin

Quote Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
    Been a few months since the last post and a few years since the first post. Hope to get a couple answers and any information.

Had my eye on Comanche Point Road for four to five months but I could see a gate on the east side. You have answered the gate and surface issues.

Will be riding east to west so will be riding downhill most of the way. Will be riding alone a Tenere with luggage on Anakee 3's. I don't have a lot of time off road but want to do more. I have ridden Quatal Canyon Road and will have ridden Mormon Well Road (north of Vegas) up and down by the time I get to here. Can't count all the times I rode Soda Lake Road since it is 19 miles of gravel freeway. Did I mention I do not like soft deep sand of silt and the Tenere agrees.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Tim
    Hi Tim! I have to qualify these comments, I haven't been on Comanche Point Rd for 18 months. If you have been on Quatal Canyon Rd, you shouldn't have any problems. Seems like there was some gravel at the top near the homes, and a couple places with some marbles on the lower section. I just basically remember a dirt road. I can't answer about any gates. Since your that close, you should swing over and hit Caliente/Bodfish Rd

Quote Originally Posted by portabill View Post
    Hi Tim! I have to qualify these comments, I haven't been on Comanche Point Rd for 18 months. If you have been on Quatal Canyon Rd, you shouldn't have any problems. Seems like there was some gravel at the top near the homes, and a couple places with some marbles on the lower section. I just basically remember a dirt road. I can't answer about any gates. Since your that close, you should swing over and hit Caliente/Bodfish Rd
    Thanks for the info Bill. I will be riding from Kernville to Ventura and Caliente Bodfish and Caliente Creek (favorite) are on the route. Hoping to see a train in the Tehachapi tunnels. Just realized there are two tunnels. I was there a couple months ago and they were doing major maintenance on the tracks.

http://goo.gl/maps/AxJD8
    http://goo.gl/maps/wTSVr

Come on up and ride the Caliente's with me.
    Tim
    '05 KLR 685
    '12 Super Tenere

Thanks for the info Bill. I will be riding from Kernville to Ventura and Caliente Bodfish and Caliente Creek (favorite) are on the route. Hoping to see a train in the Tehachapi tunnels. Just realized there are two tunnels. I was there a couple months ago and they were doing major maintenance on the tracks.

http://goo.gl/maps/AxJD8
    http://goo.gl/maps/wTSVr

Come on up and ride the Caliente's with me.
    Give me your dates, I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by portabill View Post
    Give me your dates, I'll see what I can do.
    Monday 4/7/2014, I am staying the night in Kernville.

Tuesday 4/8/2014, Will be riding Cort 214, Caliente's, Tehachapi Loop, Comanche Point Road,... If Comanche Point Road is wet... probably won't ride Comanche Point Road. Anakee 3's and a low front fender are not a good recipe for mud riding. Gotta slip on some knobs if for nothing more than confidence.

*** Who has ridden Bear Valley Road? http://goo.gl/maps/zvdIx When I did not know the gate (thought there was only one gate) were not locked I was looking for an alternate route.
    Tim
    '05 KLR 685
    '12 Super Tenere

Monday 4/7/2014, I am staying the night in Kernville.

Tuesday 4/8/2014, Will be riding Cort 214, Caliente's, Tehachapi Loop, Comanche Point Road,... If Comanche Point Road is wet... probably won't ride Comanche Point Road. Anakee 3's and a low front fender are not a good recipe for mud riding. Gotta slip on some knobs if for nothing more than confidence.

*** Who has ridden Bear Valley Road? http://goo.gl/maps/zvdIx When I did not know the gate (thought there was only one gate) were not locked I was looking for an alternate route.

Well, that "Work thing" is in the way, but have a great ride. There is a guard house 2-3 miles on Bear Valley Rd 2-3 miles after you turn off of Cummins Valley Rd. I was looking for a way to 58 and turned around when there wasn't a way to 58. I don't know if they let people drive through or not since it's a private community

Bike looks awesome!

Thread Information