Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Don't know how to pick up your bike...well have faith!

Name
    David
    Bike(s)
    BMW

Re: Don't know how to pick up your bike...well have faith!

I have heard the dude you ride like ... whatever hundreds of times, but never to me. With me, they always say, dude, you ride like a old lady. To which I always say, yeah, a live old lady, rather than a dead young maniac.
    I always say, hi girls, to bikers, to cops, to any men. I got that from George Burns, he used to do that. Then I say, oh, wait, you're not girls, where are my manners, I meant ladies. Unless they look too angry, rather than laughing, so then I say oh, what is that other word, men, oh, gentlemen. Oh, I get the words mixed up.
    Us old guys can get away with things like that. Most guys just laugh or say ah you smart ass.
    Donna, I meant nothing by "what is this ride like a girl thing". It was only an introduction to the line "I hope you don't mean side saddle.
    At one time it was considered unethical or immoral or something for a woman to ride astride a horse. She had to keep both legs on one side. It was called side saddle. I have never seen it on a motorcycle (well, the stunt dudes do it) by a female. You would have no back brake, but it could be done. I would laugh if I saw it.
    dc

Name
    Eric
    Bike(s)
    K2 Chtrom, 07 99ty A

I think it is called Amazon riding. There were saddles especially made for that. I cannot ride horses better than a sack of potatoes, but I am pretty sure it required a lot of guts. That was the same and much harder on bicycles.
    It comes, I assume from a combination of bad treatment for the horse and the mandatory dress floating around.
    I once asked if that was true that under the current French law women were not allowed to wear pants, and the woman teacher just threw me out. I had heard of this (loi du 26 Brumaire an IX de la République):
    "toute femme désirant s'habiller en homme doit se présenter à la Préfecture de police pour en obtenir l'autorisation..."
    I never went to her class again and got a B at a final exam... I never took.
    Even in 2003, the question was still debated:
    http://www.cfo-news.com/Une-loi-fran...alon_a438.html
    And in 2007:
    http://absurde.blogspace.fr/627623/U...t-du-pantalon/
    Does not make me laugh.
    1. That she kicked me out of her class
    2. That she felt offended.
    3. That she never heard of this.
    4. That she gave me a grade for a test I never took.

Name
    David
    Bike(s)
    BMW

The only thing I could find about 'amazon riding' had to do with amazons ? riding, without clothes, naked, as it were, as in Amazon, related (cousin, 2nd cousin) to the valkyries, but in a warmer climate, thus allowing the no clothes aspect.
    But side saddle, well, it's alive and well today with organizations, saddle makers and all, and many photos of the side saddle riders (all of the female persuasion) and in old style, long, and some very elegant dresses.
    dc

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Bike(s)
    07 BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by David 1 View Post
    The only thing I could find about 'amazon riding' had to do with amazons ? riding, without clothes, naked, as it were, as in Amazon, related (cousin, 2nd cousin) to the valkyries, but in a warmer climate, thus allowing the no clothes aspect.
    But side saddle, well, it's alive and well today with organizations, saddle makers and all, and many photos of the side saddle riders (all of the female persuasion) and in old style, long, and some very elegant dresses.
    dc
    David, I have actually tried riding side saddle (on 4 legs not a motorbike!) It is NOT easy. I was a pretty good horsewoman in my younger days, and riding side saddle was quite the challenge. I can't imagine adding to it with a corset and bustle or whatever silly under garmets were then required.

Ride like a girl, is a silly irreverent saying...but a great website name. I am having fun with it!
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment." Papa-Ken

Ride Like a Girl
    Travel Blog for Riders

Name
    David
    Bike(s)
    BMW

I will say, it can look elegant.
    Viz.,

Or artistic:

Or Regal.

I suppose I must also point out (your title?) that faith nor prayer will not pick up one's bike, hands that help are better than lips that pray.
    dc
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Name
    Ken
    Bike(s)
    BMW K1200RS

Lara Croft riding side saddle in Tomb Raider 2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    David
    Bike(s)
    BMW

And shooting as she does it. Didn't Annie Oakley also do that, both side saddle and astride in the old Wild West show?
    dc

Kinda new round here
    Name
    Crystal
    Bike(s)
    Ninja 250

Quote Originally Posted by demenshea View Post
    David, I have actually tried riding side saddle (on 4 legs not a motorbike!) It is NOT easy. I was a pretty good horsewoman in my younger days, and riding side saddle was quite the challenge. I can't imagine adding to it with a corset and bustle or whatever silly under garmets were then required.

Ride like a girl, is a silly irreverent saying...but a great website name. I am having fun with it!
    Gonna agree...side saddle not easy. I rode horses for 12 years and tried it more then once. Not easy. I cant imagine doing it on a bike

Name
    David
    Bike(s)
    BMW

The stunters do it all the time, as a requisite part of their regular routine with the legs sticking straight out. However, they are maniacs, or super maniacs, and not your ordinary planet earth based rider.
    dc

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    '98 Honda VFR

Regarding Amazons, I believe the myth is that they were a topless lot, and cut off their string arm breast so it didn't interfere with the bow string. Grosses me out just to think about it.

Thread Information