Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Avon Storm STs vs Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

Re: Avon Storm STs vs Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

that might be my problem. I'm running 41 cold in rear, and 36 cold in front. Won't be doing that again! PR2s arrived today though. I'm looking forward to it.
    An exceptional rider has the ability to foresee and avoid situations that require exceptional skills.

Harold,
    I put the Avon Storms on my FJR & had less than 1000 miles on them when I started on my trip to MS. Loved the handling when new but had to replace the rear in OK. on my return (cord showing in the center) and the front cupped and wore the tread off the left side but not evenly, kinda wobbly like. I had checked my pressure daily, 39 front and 42 rear. I just put on a set of Road Smarts and if they don't work I'll try the Pilots next.
    Can't recommend the Avons.
    Rob
    Remember that happiness is a way of travel - not a destination.
    Roy M. Goodman

Checking in on this better late than never...Fastfar sez Avon Storms have been good to me. I get a reliable 5000 miles with the shoulders wearing faster than the dual compound centers. They are excellent in the wet, don't slide in the twisties and if they do let go on road stuff, they are quick to hook up and maintain the line. I have experimented with tire pressures from 36F/42R down to 34F/38R with no detectable difference in wear or longevity.

I don't get more than 5K on any tire I have run so far. I reckon it's a combination of a high percentage of twisties, rough textured chip-n-seal on mountain and foothill roads, fast entry speeds to corners and late braking that kill off my tires by 5K. Over on the FJR forum, tire discussions are in a 'never ending pointless recurring thread' category 'cause there is so much counter-info to anything someone else says, so I go with what I experience directly.

I will try a set of the PR2's hoping they last more than my normal tire life...hey, it could happen.

I've been on PP2 CT for a while and was gettin about 4-5 K from the rear and 7 from the front... just slipped into a set of Storms. No Knee dragger but I do like the twisties and the Busa is runin at about 175 HP I'll let ya know how things work out.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    " Looking back on my life ... I wasted most of my money ... the rest of it I spent on MOTORCYCLES ! "

www.norcalriders.org

When people ask how long will a tire last? The range of answers is always shocking. One person might get 5,000 out of tire “X” and then another person gets 12,000 same tire, same model bike. Weird! Way to many variables to get a good idea on expected miles on a tire. I look for trends……. If one tire last longer then others they have had that is helpful information.
    I really like the PR2s. They seem to stick well and wear very well for me. I have not experienced any slip when it changes compounds. I felt my best tire for mountain roads were the Road Smarts but the tread life was not as good for me. The Road Smarts looked “ok” then hit cords 500 miles later….. little warning.
    My experience:
    Just some other comparison information: I pulled ….

Stock tires (all but 500 miles were put on by the original owner) F+R = 9,000 miles

Avon Storms (deep into wear bars….) F+R = 7,520 miles

Michelin Pilot Road F+R = 6,705 miles

Road Smarts (hit) cords on rear at = 7,225 miles

Michelin Pilot Road 2 F+R (almost to cords) = 7,633 miles

I am on my second set of PR2s.

Yup your right too many variables... Moto Tires & Moto Oil are like Politics & Religion. ;-)

Allways good to read about both though.
    " Looking back on my life ... I wasted most of my money ... the rest of it I spent on MOTORCYCLES ! "

www.norcalriders.org

Quote Originally Posted by cbrjules View Post
    Pilot Road 2 is the correct name, but I call them 2CT because that's what is on the side of them!

Cheers Jules.
    EDIT: Scratch that - one is Pilot Road, one is Pilot Power CT ... so no reference of PR2 CT I can find to say they are different. Back to sorting out what I hope is a good compromise between performance and longevity.
    - CRASH -
    AMA# 1103547
    BMWMOA# 159231
    IBA# 21680
    Jenny's # 867-5309
    "These are my Pashnit/Passionate boys." - Tyler Risk

That's what I was thinking. The CT is a different tire. A more sporty, racing tire. Compound tread or something. They are said to wear out quicker.
    The Road 2 are a more ordinary road tire. More for sport/touring.
    My bike came with I think Bridgestone but after 6k (a tiny cut in rear) I went with the Road 2s and they are super nice.
    Squishy but not sloppy. Just right.
    dc

I am glad somebody brought this up. I put Metzlers on my Busa and I am gettin ready to take LONG trip next month. I am hopin to make it to Portland to EDR. That is where I am getting a service and prolly tires. I was told by the dealer that I would get 12,000 miles out of these tires. Most everyone on here that I mentioned this to said I would be lucky to get 3,000 or 4,000 out of them. When I get to Portland I want try some different. I want a higher mileage tire. I dont race my Busa. I just ride it around. I dont really tour, just ride around the house. I am hoping with the extra weight the Metzlers will make it to Portland. They have about 750 miles on them with just me riding it alone.
    ---Zippo---

Miles to go and promises to keep
    Before I lay my head
    Down to sleep.....

Living in fear is good....sometimes!!

But if you read the ROAD 2 description it uses the "CT" technology for dual compound. Thank you SO much for making this as confusing as you guys can. In any case, the PPs are listed as CT and the PR2s are not but it sounds like they emboss it on the sidewalls of the PR2s. Now, for my bikes back tire size they also list a B and C model tire over the standard tire. B is for heavy weight touring and two up riding (I am a big guy to begin with so with gear and the long touring trips I do I am planning a "B" series). They specify this tire for BMW K1X00Gts and FJRs. C is for the Triumph Tiger - why it needs a special tire I have no idea. I plan on a set of the PR2s myself once I eat these Z6s Interacs.

Zippo, the guys on the K bike forums are shredding the Z6s - I have heard from 3k max to 7k. A couple show 11k, but with the HP your Busa has it could be dicie. If you are not hot rodding off the line or screaming through corners fully geared, you should probably make it to Portland. My Z6s have only a couple thousand miles on them and I am watching them carefully. If I do my math right and continue my daily habit and the 2 weekend trips I have planned between now and the end of August, I will be on a 6 day 2500 mile ride ride that will hopefully not do them in but allow me to get home safely.I may just have to ride MORE between now and then and replace before the trip.
    - CRASH -
    AMA# 1103547
    BMWMOA# 159231
    IBA# 21680
    Jenny's # 867-5309
    "These are my Pashnit/Passionate boys." - Tyler Risk

Thread Information