Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Only as old as you look er feel

Name
    Don
    Bike(s)
    07 DL650 V-strom

Only as old as you look er feel

The original plan for this weekend was to meet up with Gail (calikatoom) for another Cycle Specialties ds ride. Due to circumstances beyond Gails’ control the ride was canceled. After learning that the ride was canceled an old friend of mine called from the bay area informing me that a mutual friend of ours was having her 50th birthday party in Redwood City. I have known these people since the second grade so I thought it might be fun to see everyone again. Most of the people there I hadn’t seen since my wedding 10 years ago, a few more it had been even longer.

Though it was great to see everyone again I left the party with mixed feelings. It was great to see that I didn’t look half as bad as the majority of the people that were there. But seeing their kids have kids now made me feel a bit ancient. I couldn’t help but wonder, “is that what having kids does to a person”? I know that isn’t true but it sounds like a good reason. For the most part I know it was lifestyle decisions that lead to the early decay or excessive aging. I couldn’t wait to get home and go for a ride.

As soon as I arrived back in Oakhurst I changed into my riding gear and fired up the KLX to do some exploring.

I started out going north on Highway 49, made a left onto Road 600. Just putting along looking at every driveway or side road to see if there was a Not a Through Road sign. After traveling a few miles I saw the sign for Road 810. I remembered Eric (MegabyteBigE) had told me he took that road and ended up at Usona Road near Mariposa. I said to myself, “no time like the present to check it out”. The road started out nicely graded dirt and gravel. Winding up then down through the canyon, the road went from gravel to sand then goaty pavement then back to dirt again several times. After about 7 miles I was expecting to empty out on to pavement any minute.

Name:  Road 810 003.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  Road 810 016.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  45.9 KB

If you look closely at the middle of the picture you can see where the road ends up at the bottom of the mountain.

Name:  Road 810 010.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  23.2 KB

After about 12 miles or so I came to a cattle crossing saying I was about to enter ranch land “No Trespassing” No Hunting etc. I figured they must mean not to stray off the road so I continued on. Finally I came to a sign that said Indian Peak Mt. Road and Mariposa County Line. The Road stayed dirt and gravel again for a couple of miles then turned to pavement once again. After a few 100 yards I see another sign “Pavement Ends”, cool onward I go. A few more turns then the surroundings start looking familiar again, must be Usona Road. Usona Road is a nice paved Road, actually rather fun, just have to look out for cars pulling out of driveways. After a couple of more miles I made a right onto Leonard Road also starting out paved then turned to gravel, nothing really outstanding about this Road just takes you down the mountain to Highway 49.

Name:  Road 810 021.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  32.0 KB

Once back on Highway 49 I headed south back to Oakhurst feeling much better about the weekend. Nothing gets me out of a funk better than a nice solo ride through the mountains. Even better is finding a nice unpaved loop to share with your riding buddies next time they are in your area! Till next time.

Name:  Road 810 022.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  31.8 KB

Don Hopkirk

Name
    Dennis
    Bike(s)
    05 ST1300, 09 DR 650

Re: Only as old as you look er feel

Don... I think I remember you saying you went to Carlmont H.S., I lived in Redwood City and attended (most of the time ) San Carlos H.S., class of 71".
    The only reunion I went to was the 25 year back in 96" and I also could not believe all the old pharts there. Time indeed was not kind to quite a few of these people. I believe that life style had little to do with it because if it did, I would of been looking like death itself next to them . None of my good H.S. friends were there so it was a truly a depressing occasion but you are right about being as old as you feel. I think I'm stuck at 25 even though the mirror may disagree.
    Moto therapy does do wonders for the mind and soul. I'm glad you could get out and brighten your weekend... Young man.
    Happy Trails.

Name
    Sydney
    FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!
    Bike(s)
    '05 Victory Kingpin

I have friends younger than me that are OLD. They have no lives, no adventure, and their idea of fun is a bridge game.

My lifestyle has always been pretty happy go lucky. I have been a ski bum most of my adult life and now an avid cyclist. I do my best to work hard and will continue to play (maybe not as hard as in the past).

Living life and enjoying it DOES keep you young.

Even these days as tuff as things have been I consider riding moto therapy and go out even if for only an hour or so. I feel so much better after a ride. It's a great advantage to have good riding at your doorstep.

Name
    Eric
    Bike(s)
    K2 Chtrom, 07 99ty A

I am not talking to you Don, ever. You have gone philosophic and all that crap. I used to like you, but now you say I am old and you go riding all these attractive... things.
    Thank you for solving my questions about going back to Europe. Easy answer: go to Mariposa instead.
    Moto therapy? I thought we had enough crazy people on the road?!

Eric

Name
    Don
    Bike(s)
    07 DL650 V-strom

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Don... I think I remember you saying you went to Carlmont H.S., I lived in Redwood City and attended (most of the time ) San Carlos H.S., class of 71".
    The only reunion I went to was the 25 year back in 96" and I also could not believe all the old pharts there. Time indeed was not kind to quite a few of these people. I believe that life style had little to do with it because if it did I would of been looking like death itself next to them . None of my good H.S. friends were there so it was a truly a depressing occasion but you are right about being as old as you feel. I think I'm stuck at 25 even though the mirror may disagree.
    Moto therapy does do wonders for the mind and soul. I'm glad you could get out and brighten your weekend... Young man.
    Actually it was Woodside High School, class of "84".

Don Hopkirk

Name
    Don
    Bike(s)
    07 DL650 V-strom

Quote Originally Posted by Eryx View Post
    I am not talking to you Don, ever. You have gone philosophic and all that crap. I used to like you, but now you say I am old and you go riding all these attractive... things.
    Thank you for solving my questions about going back to Europe. Easy answer: go to Mariposa instead.
    Moto therapy? I thought we had enough crazy people on the road?!

Eric
    Eric, your jealous.

Don Hopkirk

Name
    Sydney
    FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!
    Bike(s)
    '05 Victory Kingpin

Class of 84???? Must be the Mariposa Water.

Name
    Don
    Bike(s)
    07 DL650 V-strom

Quote Originally Posted by FishWitch View Post
    Class of 84???? Must be the Mariposa Water.
    No, Oakhurst water. High levels of Uranium. And yeah class of "84", what about it Fishy?

Don Hopkirk

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hopkirk View Post
    Actually it was Woodside High School, class of "84".

Don Hopkirk
    I was totally with you about all the people looking "old" and everything, and then you go and stab me in the heart!

Class of '83 here. . . .

I love this little guy

Name
    Patrick Bains
    Bike(s)
    96 VULCAN CLASSIC 15

My Daddy always said" your are only as old as the women you feel" or something to that effect. But it sounds good to me, I am not sure if my wife would agree. But hey she is 6 years younger than me, so that works. I just better not be feeling a lot younger i guess....lol.

Thread Information