Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: United States of AM-anchester

US of A-Manchester

Wink3 United States of AM-anchester

Hi Guys, Well it's official. UNITED STATES OF AM-anchester is born. Mission: 36 towns called Manchester, 30 of which are in the States. This first is MANCHESTER ENGLAND UK. Start date 31st Dec 2009. The anniversary of Lincolns letter being read to the people of Lancashire (The name of our county), in the Free Trade Hall in 1862.
    Canada 1, USA 30, Others 5.

This is the start and with filming, web, blog, twitter all in the build stage, the mission is open.

1) Find film sponsors.
    2) Talk to Bike manufacturers. (Triumph, Harley, BMW)
    3) Find contacts in Manchester, (all of them)
    4) Confirm route and total mileage.
    5) Open a advise link.......... HELP!
    wish me luck Pashnit, I need it.

Pete, Manchester UK

Re: United States of AM-anchester

Pete,

Good luck with putting this together, but I think you may need to add clarify a bit. Suggest adding some details to explain more about what you're planning to do, proposed route, dates when you might be in a partcular area in case folks are able to join in. Also need more explanation of the other items you mentioned.

Good luck!
    Go further, keep going. Don't stay in the same place, don't go back, don't go off the road. - St. Augustine

This looks like it will be quite the adventure! I never realized there were that many towns named Manchester. Looks like getting to Manchester in Oklahoma will be an adventure in itself.

Are you going to blog it? This will be a blast to watch.
    But, then, the pious optimism and the glib theatricality are disturbed every now and again by intrusions of shattering realities.

Unconventional rebel uncon. rebel's Avatar

Like it. Done the 'turn left in France' & 'pin in the town index' tours but this has real style, real ambition.

I find myself in Stockport on a regular basis. Where are the other 5 Manchesters?
    Ride Free

Quote Originally Posted by pablodk View Post
    I never realized there were that many towns named Manchester.
    Every Midwestern state has a town named after an Eastern city which is named after a place in the old country, usually England. Rochester is a good example. Other languages are no better; the number of places named San Jose is truly staggering.

Manchester, good luck. See if you can get in touch with the city council, chamber of commerce or the various fraternal organizations (Elks, Rotarians, etc.) in each town. Make it an event at every stop.
    "A miracle that all this docile strength waits behind one tiny lever for the pleasure of my hand." - T.E. Lawrence

http://www.active2030folsom.org

It appears the google bug photo car got to the edge of Manchester OK and turned around!
    But, then, the pious optimism and the glib theatricality are disturbed every now and again by intrusions of shattering realities.

Can you explain exactly what you are doing,why, and how the Manchester's will fit in with motorcycle brands like Triumph,Harley Bmw. I thought Manchester UK was famous for cotten mills and shipping canals etc.Is it some type of charity run ?

US of A-Manchester

Thanks for your input guys. These answers are written on the go, no script or planning just to answer all the questions. In order. USosAM was thought up by myself about 2 years ago. The big trip, the once in a lifetime, but why not have a purpose. then......
    Last Thursday my wife came home and told me she wanted to split. 29 years of 'happy' marrage blah blah, not you it's me, respect, like a brother not a lover, no one else etc etc. End of an era. Not 'arf.
    I have been looking at the big trip for many years and this little bombshell has lit my fuse. I have little capital (until-when-if we sell up), but still want to do this, and at 51 it's time.
    The idea is simply to see what Manchester the place of my birth, has to compare with the others. More details will follow, blogs etc YES.
    Pabblog: yes there are 30 in USA but one was blown away. Start Washington then down west coast (list not in order yet.
    1.New Hampshire 2.Connecticut
    3.Iowa 4.Massachusetts
    5. Missouri 6.Pennsylvania
    7.Tennessee 8.Marshall, Alabama
    9.Walker, Alabama 10.California
    11.Georgia 12.Illinois
    13.Dearborn, Indiana 14.Montgomery, Indiana
    15.Kansas 16.Kentucky
    17.Louisiana 18.Maine
    19.Maryland 20.Michigan
    21.Minnesota 22.Montana
    23.North Carolina 24.Adams, Ohio
    25.Summit, Ohio 26.Oklahoma
    27.South Dakota 28.Red River, Texas
    29.Vermont 30.Washington
    31.Winsconsin.
    32.Pando, Bolivia 33.Nickerie, Surinam
    34.Ontario, Canada. 35.Manchester Parish, Jamaica
    And Manchester, England of Course.
    About 7-12 months I think.
    Darth: Yes you are right, I hope to get a video youtube diary blog going and add press, radio and TV in each state/town if poss. NEED help though 1st some contacts for each Manchester.
    Eojmo, Yes you are right, but I can't see the future in riding a cotton mill down the ship canal. There are none left... all gone, the ship canal only carries sewerage now.

The only link with the brands is that I need to find a bike to borrow sponsors and good press so these are the major brands I can think of. You will also be surprized just what M UK is famous for.... later.
    This whole trip is for the hell and to see if the madness of Manchester has travelled well. On 31st Dec 1862 a letter from Abe Lincoln to the city of Manchester was read out in the Free Trade Hall, Manchester UK offering support to the people of Lancashire County
    during the hard times that the civil war had caused due to the lack of raw cotton being shipped here. It's seemed apt that now in 2009, nothing much has changed. I will take a message of hope and friendlyness from the people of Manchester UK (M-UK) to the others in the world , if I can ,for charity, if I can ,with the help of people on the way, and if I can, for posterity and a little entertainment, and maybe just a token legacy.
    As mentioned it starts here and with the will and the grace, it will happen.

Sounds like the basis for a heck of a story. Man, 29 years! Sorry to hear of this.

US of A-Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by pablodk View Post
    Sounds like the basis for a heck of a story. Man, 29 years! Sorry to hear of this.
    Yep it's a long time. still not sure what to do about it all, in shock, but it seems thats the way it is. So clean slate, start again... do something special for me. Got about 15-20 years left if I look after myself. Diet starts today, get fit and hope for the best. (for her too, still love her despite this) Any way, cheer up, chin chin (as they are supposed to say over here, ???) Life's too short and think about the new adventures like washing up, cleaning, dating (gawd help me). Rock on

Thread Information