Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: **Updated Photos**How To Install Cigarette Lighter Type Power Outlets

Name
    Rob
    Bike(s)
    2003 Honda CBR F4i

**Updated Photos**How To Install Cigarette Lighter Type Power Outlets

Just thought I'd post a "how to" since I didn't see one online anywhere for this simple mod. Aimed at "idiots" like me that need pictures to understand what anybody is talking about...so apologies in advance for the slow load time...

If you've got a basic garden variety sportbike like me, then you may have noticed that they lack auxiliary power outlets like some fancy touring bikes have. And if you're like me, you occasionally forget to charge your iPod or cellphone before heading out on a ride. And if you're like me, you kinda want the option of being able to add a radar like an X50 (not a Solo or other such battery powered one), and maybe a GPS, and maybe a Roady2, etc, etc...

Here's a pictorial guide for how to install some auxiliary power outlets on your sportbike, so that you can power up all your electronics.

My supplies (inline blade type fuse holder, 15 amp fuses, etc.):

My tool arsenal (drill, rotary tool, basic drill bits and grinding bits, beer):

I got a couple Truck Bed Liner cigarette lighter power outlets because they are weatherproof (and have a 17 foot hot wire). I chose the mounting points shown in the photo below because those locations had enough clearance for the underside of the power outlet assembly without having to modify the ram air ducts.

Drill a pilot hole in the vicinity of the area you wish to mount. Then place the ring from the bottom of the power outlet over the pilot hole. Use this as your guide to grind out the hole using rotary tool. You could alternatively use a hole-saw like the power outlet instructions say, but I didn't have a hole saw bit.

If you haven't already unscrewed the cap (and ring) from the underside of outlet, do so. Feed the wires down through the top side of the ram air duct cover and see if the outlet fits. Grind until it fits flush. Then screw the bottom cap and ring back on underneath.

Test fit on your bike for clearance. Measure and mark the length of wire you need to reach the battery.

Cut the hot wire to the length you marked (save the excess). Solder the inline blade type fuse holder to the hot (red) wire. Install a 15 amp blade type fuse. Crimp and solder a ring connector on the end of the fuse holder.

Cut a length of wire from the excess hot (red) wire and solder to the ground (black) wire so that the total length is same as hot wire. Crimp and solder a ring connector on the end of ground wire. Pictured below are the finished wires.

Unscrew the cap from the bottom of the outlet. Put a bead of silicone on the top and under sides of the outlet where it meets the ram air cover. Screw the cap back on.

Lift tank on bike and prop it up. Position the ram air covers and run the wires as close to the stock wiring harness as you can. (Left side pictured below. Outlet wires are red and black, 'looped' around the stock wiring.)

Right side wiring.

Unscrew the screw holding the ground side of the stock battery cable to the negative battery post. Stick the screw through the ring connector you soldered to the ground wire and through the stock battery cable ring connector and screw them back down onto the battery post. Do the same for the positive (hot) wire side. Tuck wires, bolt the tank back down, screw the ram air covers back in, and you're done.

Sorry for lack of pics for battery connections, but it's pretty self-explanatory. Ground (black) to ground (negative), and hot (red) to positive side of battery.

Done (**UPDATED PHOTOS**):

Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24 motowriter's Avatar
    Name
    <g>
    Bike(s)
    '05 FrankenZ1, '78 KZ650 SR

Re: How To Install Cigarette Lighter Type Power Outlets

Awesome!! Rob, that's way cool! I love to see mod projects like this. Straight forward and simple, something we might be tempted to do another way, but why? You've made this a neat and quick upgrade that's really useful!

Thanks!!

G

Name
    Rob
    Bike(s)
    2003 Honda CBR F4i

thanks Gary! I spent a few hours on sport-touring.net fielding suggestions on auxiliary power. Someone mentioned that Powerlet makes a kit for sportbikes ( http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...ke_rearset.php ) but it's like $50. Screw that. I'll build one myself for half that price, and have fun doing it, and feel the satisfaction that goes along with any DIY project.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Rob - Great info here. You did a great job of explaining.

I have a cigarette lighter connector on the Busa. It powers the video camera. Powerlet Products supplies...

Kinda handy!

Name
    Rob
    Bike(s)
    2003 Honda CBR F4i

Thanks Tim! I try to be as detailed as I can since I know how frustrating DIY projects can be sometimes. I considered the trunk mounting option but I didn't want to have to run cords from behind me (and up through the driver seat) and into my jacket (iPod) or up into a tank bag holding other electronics. Installing on the front panels seemed the best solution for me (quick, convenient, don't have to open trunk).

Since I'm new and this is your first reply to one of my posts, I'd like to take this opportunity to say THANKS for this forum (THE EASIEST to use and most feature filled one that I visit), and an especially BIG THANKS for the motoroads section on the main site (changed my life)!!

And in case you missed my intro...a little about me

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    '97 VFR750

I personally did the Powerlet route, and have totally loved every second of it being on there. Only problem is it's the BMW size vs. cigarette size. Adapters are necessary, but the product itself is top notch. Very nice to see a do-it-yourself setup that looks very good. Nice way to save money (and about 50/50 chance I'd have done it if you'd posted before I bought Powerlet). I think the electrified tankbag will be the next big step in the power setup.

Good job, nice writeup!
    "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, Don't Fail Me Now" - Elwood

Name
    Dale
    Bike(s)
    4wd Dual Sport

Nice installation and write up Rob!

I'm in need of the same on the Gixxer. Where did you purchase the bed liner adapter? That's perfect for exposed conditions on a bike.
    "The key to life is to die young, at a very old age"

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"

Name
    Mary
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha 1100 Virago

Totally awesome instructions for a visual learner like me! Hubster does any mechs... but I like to understand so I can follow along. He is thinking of adding a GPS so this is a perfect thread for us.

Pardon my newbie question tho.....

was reading (somewhere?) about monitoring the voltage usage of accessories to not drain your battery..... so how does one know if they can add accessories to their bike? I know this is a dumb question.... but how do I know the qty of extra voltage my battery can handle in accessories?

I get these questions in my Lil' brain and will be bugged until I figure it out!

Thanks for your help.

Hugs!
    Sassy

Name
    Ben
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha Raptor 700R

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerdale
    Where did you purchase the bed liner adapter?
    Hey Dale, I can't answer the question where he got his specifically, but they should be available at any local auto parts store (kragen, pep boys, etc.)

+1 on the great write up.

These little tidbits come in handy.

Name
    Rob
    Bike(s)
    2003 Honda CBR F4i

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerdale
    ...Where did you purchase the bed liner adapter? That's perfect for exposed conditions on a bike.
    Wal-Mart, in the automotive section.

Thread Information