Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stuck! Help please?

Crying Stuck! Help please?

Ok, I'm up in Belfield North Dakota. I dropped my poor 'busa (again) but this time I pretty badly mangled up my clutch lever. I've tried JB Weld and Crazy Glue but neither seem to be able to hold against the pressure the master cylinder piston exerts.

If someone happens to live in the area and will be willing to swap levers temporarily, I'll be happy to send them a replacement.

Alternately, I see that pashnit does sell them, if I can get them overnighted to the motel, that'd be excellent too (I'll shoot him a PM).

Heck, I've bought several things he's recommended over the past few years.

Thanks for reading and ride safe.

Carl
    A four foot cop arrived wid a five foot gun. A cop that at one time must have been around 6'3" but was met at the bottom of a mountain by a flying, singing, writing weirdo freak.

IBA# 20545

Re: Stuck! Help please?

Perhaps if you go to a sheetmetal shop in the aera and get a couple of thin pcs. of alum. say .040-.060 thick and get some epoxy and a couple of clothes pens and glue one on each side of the broken lever the it would hold. That way you will spread out the pull over a longer aera. Then when you get to a town that has a Suzuki shop they may have one.

One other thing. Rough up the lever ant the alum. before you put the epoxy on them.

Aluminum usually doesn't take glue very well. I'd recommend welding. If not that then splints with nuts and bolts.

I just checked my SV pile-o-spares but there's only brake levers. Sorry dude, good luck!
    "A miracle that all this docile strength waits behind one tiny lever for the pleasure of my hand." - T.E. Lawrence

http://www.active2030folsom.org

It's actually not the lever itself but the part where the pin pushes into the lever.

The circle bit (the lever is broken of course but that's very minor really). In looking at the circle bit, you can see a little dab of JB Weld on the right side at the base and opposite it some more.

The master cylinder pin presses against the back of the circle right where the break is.

After letting the JB Weld cure overnight, I put it back together this morning and when I pressed in on the lever, it just popped right off. I suspect there just isn't enough surface area to hold it.

I have crazy glued a couple of pieces of bailing wire over the loop and am waiting on it to completely dry before giving it a shot. But it'd be nice to have an actual replacement than depending on this hack to last for long

I've called the closest Suzuki dealer (a couple of hours away) and they don't carry replacements like this. They can order it but it'll take a week to get here.

Carl
    A four foot cop arrived wid a five foot gun. A cop that at one time must have been around 6'3" but was met at the bottom of a mountain by a flying, singing, writing weirdo freak.

IBA# 20545

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    Ok, I'm up in Belfield North Dakota.
    There's a Suzuki shop in Mandon ND, about 75 miles from you.
    Maybe they can get ya a lever quickly.

Here's there webpage... http://www.actionsportspolaris.com/

Action Motor Sports
    1417 39th Avenue SE Mandan ND 58554
    Phone: (701) 667-4524 Fax: (701) 667-4526
    Toll Free Phone: (800) 814-9185
    Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight!

Ride as if your life depended on it!

I've been calling dealers all morning. So far no one has one in stock. They can drop ship it to their location overnight and then overnight it again to me which leaves me sitting here for two more days. Not horrible but if I can find a dealer who already has it in stock, I can have it overnighted to me vs waiting on a two day overnight.

I just got a hold of my local dealer and they're starting a search and will call me back.

It sure would be nice if there was a parts finder tool that could give me a number to someone who has the part right now.

Carl

IBA# 20545

Woo, part's on the way. I called the local dealer (Mike at Colorado Powersports in Thorton) and he has the part. It'll be here tomorrow morning.

Thanks for reading. I'll have to get my ride report in order and post it for everyone to peruse.

Carl; stuck in ND

IBA# 20545

hey Carl, I just made a few calls around here and Steeles Cycle down in Denver has one off a 2000 'Busa... $25

if nothing else pans out for you I can run down there and overnight it to you... or maybe they'll overnight it directly? their #303-781-5339

doh.. missed your latest post, glad you got one on the way and enjoy ND....
    - Jeff
    '10 R12RT

Yep, I just called the owner at Colorado Powersports and let him know that Mike at the parts counter is a great help and actually has been for several years. I intend on taking him out for a beer or something when I return.

Thanks all for the help too, I really appreciate it.

Carl

IBA# 20545

Thread Information