Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Maintenance

Name
    Rod
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha FJ1200

Motorcycle Maintenance

Does anybody else get satisfaction from doing their own work?

I’m a do-it-yourselfer. I enjoy doing routine maintenance and repairs and don’t consider it a chore to be put off till the last minute. Insuring your ride is mechanically sound at all times, either by doing it yourself or having a mechanic do it gives peace of mind and helps us to enjoy our sport all the more. When it comes to maintenance, I usually have a plan, i.e. work schedule, parts, tools, shop manual, and some of my favorite music (varies widely.)

My garage is my space, my escape, and my refuge. Bike maintenance is almost like therapy, like riding. Today I replaced the front brake rotors and brake pads on my FJ with the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

Me and my FJ have been together since ‘93’ and she has never been to a mechanic. When the work is all done I take a good long look at her with a sort of emotional attachment, almost as if she knows what I’m thinking, “now, take care of me.” And she has. Weird?

Name
    Clint
    Bike(s)
    2007.5 Aprilia RSVR Bol d'Or; 1995 H-D Road King; 2005 Ural Patrol w/Sidecar

Re: Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbuster View Post
    Does anybody else get satisfaction from doing their own work?

I’m a do-it-yourselfer. I enjoy doing routine maintenance and repairs and don’t consider it a chore to be put off till the last minute. Insuring your ride is mechanically sound at all times, either by doing it yourself or having a mechanic do it gives peace of mind and helps us to enjoy our sport all the more. When it comes to maintenance, I usually have a plan, i.e. work schedule, parts, tools, shop manual, and some of my favorite music (varies widely.)

My garage is my space, my escape, and my refuge. Bike maintenance is almost like therapy, like riding. Today I replaced the front brake rotors and brake pads on my FJ with the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

Me and my FJ have been together since ‘93’ and she has never been to a mechanic. When the work is all done I take a good long look at her with a sort of emotional attachment, almost as if she knows what I’m thinking, “now, take care of me.” And she has. Weird?
    Not weird, but definately a talent that I do not have. I can cut myself combing my hair. Riding makes me free and feel younger. But I must depend on others for any real maintenance.
    ~Clint

"Life's Too Important To Be Taken Seriously"

Not a Knee Dragger Twisted Trader's Avatar
    Name
    Vincent
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1100S Boxer Cup

I am with you Rod. I do like keeping my bikes clean, and running right. It is my therapy to spend some alone time making sure that the bikes are all in proper running order. The other good part is with the high price of dealership labor, I have the justifacation to buy any new tool that I might need, and look at the price of the tool as a labor savings device and be well justified!

Name
    Mark
    Bike(s)
    Yes

Plus you get to buy new tools. A run to Sears and I feel like a kid in a candy shop. Latest was a new clicker torque wrench in MN and Ft Lbs (the old one was a questionable dial and pointer type) I'm waiting for a good repair/maint manual for the F800...you can't take a CD to the garage.
    Matthew 7: 21-27

Name
    Morgan
    Bike(s)
    Honda CB650C

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbuster View Post
    Does anybody else get satisfaction from doing their own work?... When the work is all done I take a good long look at her with a sort of emotional attachment, almost as if she knows what Im thinking, now, take care of me. And she has. Weird?
    Not weird at all. With my Clymer shop manual beside me and an assortment of tools scattered about, grease under my fingernails and music on the CD player (anything from Rush to Mozart), I'm a very happy guy.

Name
    David
    Bike(s)
    BMW

I like to do all my maintenance. Including electronics, so I use the HexCode GS911, which I plug into the laptop, and into the engine controller, and I also have the maintenance cd on the laptop, as they are all on cd now.
    But I have valve adjust coming up next month, which is all mechanical.
    Just measuring and shimming if needed, which, after 12k miles, I'm sure I won't need.
    It does give me a lot of satisfaction to be able to work with my hands and my brain on something like that. And if I get stumped with an issue, anger won't solve it, but careful thought, education and advice will. I like the opportunity to be able to think my way through a mechanical problem.
    dc

Name
    Dave
    Bike(s)
    FJR-1300

Oh yeah! Mark is exactly right. Nothing better than new tools.

I like doing my own work most of the time. I find it to be good therapy and I know the work has been done thoroughly and correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    Plus you get to buy new tools. A run to Sears and I feel like a kid in a candy shop. Latest was a new clicker torque wrench in MN and Ft Lbs (the old one was a questionable dial and pointer type) I'm waiting for a good repair/maint manual for the F800...you can't take a CD to the garage.

Name
    Alan
    Bike(s)
    6 in the garage now

If I didn't do my own wrenching I wouldn't be able to afford this stuff. I've only bought 1 vehicle in my life that was ready to go at purchase time: my F150. Everything else has needed some kind of work to bring it up to daily driver status.

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    2006 DL1000

I used to do all the work on my bikes, but that was back in the 70's working on 2 strokes.
    Other than changing the oil, I don't have a clue anymore. Plus, I don't have much spare time anymore. I would rather use what time I do have riding.

Motorcycle Enthusiast Old Surf Dog's Avatar
    Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    Road Kings & Vstrom

I change the oil in the beasts but right now that's about it. I'd like to do more indepth maintenance and if the economy does not improve I'm sure I will have to. When I am working steady I don't have a lot of time and like Steve I like to use what time I have for riding.

Thread Information