Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2009 Pashnit FALL Gathering Thread - Oct 17th, 2009

Name
    Ray
    Bike(s)
    97 Suzuki Bandit 12S

Re: The Official 2009 Pashnit FALL Gathering Thread - Oct 17th, 2009

You better leave kinda early in the day, from L.A. By that time of year, it'll be starting to get dark by 6 or so. According to mapquest its over 400 miles one way and about 6 hours and 45 minutes and thats coming straight up I-5. If you get on mapquest, you can punch in your exact starting location and then use State Hwy 88 and Omo Ranch Rd for the intersection and Pioneer for the city in the ending location. That will get you close to Sopiago, from there, you need to follow the directions Tim has posted in the beginning of this thread. If you know anyone that has a handheld GPS they would be willing to let you use, the GPS coordinates Tim has listed in post #3 of this thread are exactly at the entrance to the campground. Thats the coordinates I use in my Garmin.
    A Veteran is someone who once wrote a blank check to "The USA” for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who don't understand it.

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    Connie

Wish we could take off Thur, but best we can consider is getting some miles under our belt Thur (late) PM just to get out of LA area. Looks like this on mapsource: I5 / 99 / Sante Fe Dr / Geer Rd /49 / 88. Suggestions welcome, recognizing we have a full day ride as it is even with direct riding.

Name
    Eric
    Bike(s)
    999R Xerox,ST3,M750

If your looking to make time slabbing use the 88 exit off 99 in Stockton. If your in no rush there are a few delightful alturnatives.

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha XJ Mongrel

If the weather's decent, I'll wander down...probably arrive in Sopiago on Friday.

Show me the twisties! Skywalker's Avatar
    Name
    Karim
    Bike(s)
    06 zx6r AKA Ea

I just bought a tent and a sleeping back and hauled it back on the zx6r ! I bought four bungee cords and strapped the sleeping and tent in a x shape to the passenger footpegs and to the hooks under the passenger seat. I probably did 70-80 on the highway and they stayed in place. Is 4 bungee ropes enough? I mean, i could easily move the sleepign bag after i tying it up..

And i think by then, i'll buy me a gps. I got lost 1000 times today!

Ray, good thing you mentioned it, i'll leave as early as possible.

Anyone leaving from LA? Or 30 minutes away from LA?
    "Whoever thinks the pen is mightier than the sword clearly has never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

Name
    Ray
    Bike(s)
    97 Suzuki Bandit 12S

I try not to use bungee cords to secure loads to my bike. Sometimes, if you hit a big enough bump the cords stretch and your load shifts. Plus, as time goes on, they naturally stretch and relax causing a loose load. Both are bad things. What I use is some inexpensive small tie downs that use a cinch buckle, available at most hardware stores. Mine cost me less then $10 for about 6 straps, but I've already broken 1 or 2. Whenever I go on a trip I make sure I carry extras in one of my saddles. You can spend more and get ROK straps, and those will probably last forever. If I were buying the ROK straps, I'd get the probably 4 of the 5ft adjustable ones. You can check them out here------<CLICKY>

Ray
    A Veteran is someone who once wrote a blank check to "The USA” for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who don't understand it.

Name
    Bruce
    Bike(s)
    1993 BMW K75S

2cents The Official 2009 Pashnit FALL Gathering Thread - Oct 17th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by wml View Post
    Brenda and I can only get Friday off, so will be leaving HB early Friday AM. Waiting to hear what the rest of the socal contingent might be doing (Bruce/Nancy/Walt....Bueller....Bueller...?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    Anyone riding from the vicinity of downtown? I would love to ride along someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosozoku View Post
    If the weather's decent, I'll wander down...probably arrive in Sopiago on Friday.
    I'm keeping that weekend open (at this point - WAAAY too much stuff going on down here)...Friday departure time from helLA is TBD but I'm angling to bail early a.m..........we'll see

I'm told Walt & Nancy will be truckin' (mucho Streetmasters stuff) from LA to Modesto to Sopiago....
    Bruce

Adventure is just poor planning - Roald Amundsen

GMR1 2009

Ride Safe and with a purpose
    www.streetmasters.info

Follow Streetmasters on Facebook

Name
    Rodney
    Bike(s)
    Honda VT1100T

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    .... I bought four bungee cords and strapped the sleeping and tent in a x shape to the passenger footpegs and to the hooks under the passenger seat. I probably did 70-80 on the highway and they stayed in place. Is 4 bungee ropes enough? I mean, i could easily move the sleepign bag after i tying it up....
    Try this

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47727
    or a couple of these
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=67010
    I like the tie down straps because you can use them for other things, not just on your bike. Hope to see you and every one else at the "Gathering".

ROD
    '98 VT1100-T
    so many roads so little time

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha XJ Mongrel

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
    I try not to use bungee cords to secure loads to my bike. Sometimes, if you hit a big enough bump the cords stretch and your load shifts. Plus, as time goes on, they naturally stretch and relax causing a loose load. Both are bad things. What I use is some inexpensive small tie downs that use a cinch buckle, available at most hardware stores. Mine cost me less then $10 for about 6 straps, but I've already broken 1 or 2. Whenever I go on a trip I make sure I carry extras in one of my saddles. You can spend more and get ROK straps, and those will probably last forever. If I were buying the ROK straps, I'd get the probably 4 of the 5ft adjustable ones. You can check them out here------<CLICKY>

Ray

ROK Straps are great!. fwiw, several riders have died after items bungeed to the seat went adrift, and were sucked into the rear wheel.

Name
    Ken
    Bike(s)
    Suzuki C109T

Quote Originally Posted by wml View Post
    Wish we could take off Thur, but best we can consider is getting some miles under our belt Thur (late) PM just to get out of LA area. Looks like this on mapsource: I5 / 99 / Sante Fe Dr / Geer Rd /49 / 88. Suggestions welcome, recognizing we have a full day ride as it is even with direct riding.
    Off of the 49 take the 26 up to the 88. Did that in June great ride.

Going to do it again on the way there after going over the 108.

Thread Information