Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: The new VFR is unveiled tonight!

Name
    Eric
    Bike(s)
    Honda CBR 1100XX

Re: The new VFR is unveiled tonight!

Not a word here about the dual clutch tranny. Can't imagine what that would feel like. Interested to hear the feedback from any who get to throw a leg over one. I might shoot down to Vegas today to see what I can find.

Having pointlessly waited for an update to the Blackbird, the VFR has my attention. I was hoping the ZX-14 would be enough impetus for Honda to go 1000RR sport/touring, but the market seemed to dictate otherwise.

Then the Fury, holy hell.

Well, some confidence has been restored now with this offering of the VFR.

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha XJ Mongrel

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoSaint View Post
    Not a word here about the dual clutch tranny. Can't imagine what that would feel like. Interested to hear the feedback from any who get to throw a leg over one. I might shoot down to Vegas today to see what I can find.....
    61st post, read review in linkie for shifting-specific verbage.

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    VFR1200 DCT
    10 VFR1200F DCT
    07 Griso (Sold)
    98 VFR800

Name
    Eric
    Bike(s)
    Honda CBR 1100XX

Quote Originally Posted by bosozoku View Post
    61st post, read review in linkie for shifting-specific verbage.
    Yes, CW is where I read about it first, in the analogue version though (tough to keep the laptop in th WC). But there's no comment about it here.

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha XJ Mongrel

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoSaint View Post
    Yes, CW is where I read about it first, in the analogue version though (tough to keep the laptop in th WC). But there's no comment about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycle World
    I learned my way around the Sugo circuit on the standard model with its conventional clutch and six-speed transmission. Power output from the big 1200 is excellent. On the track, the strong torque easily spun the sport-touring-oriented rear Dunlop as I exited slower corners. Excellent acceleration is available from as low as 4000 rpm, at which point Honda claims 90 percent of available torque is already present. If this were all there was to discuss, the report card would state that Honda made great evolutionary changes to the VFR. As previously noted, however, DCT has introduced a new era to motorcycling. Similar in concept to automotive designs, like the one fitted to Mitsubishi's hot-rod sedan, the Lancer Evolution, the Honda's gearbox is a true manual with a pair of clutches enabling either fully automatic or paddle-shift operation.

I didn't realize that motorcycling was missing out on this technology until I rode the VFR. Lap one at Sugo was spent in fully automatic D (drive) mode. "Conservative" and "reserved" are the best descriptors for this selection. Shifts come early in the rev range, and performance is uninspiring. An on-the-fly shift to S (sport) mode provided a dramatic change for the better. The program responded to my aggressive throttle inputs with seamless .5-second shifts just shy of redline. I was initially concerned that the system wouldn't downshift aggressively or would do so at a deep lean angle. But never in the course of my ride did the bike shift up or down at an inopportune moment. As I braked hard approaching the right-hander at the end of Sugo's back straightaway, the transmission moved from one gear to the next smoothly and quickly. My only criticism is that I would have preferred one more downshift than the computer felt was necessary to take full advantage of engine braking.

Of course, Honda anticipated this conundrum; hence, manual-shift mode (MT). Instead of allowing the bike to decide your shift points for you, MT allows the rider to select the gears manually via left-handlebar-mounted paddle shifters. Upshifts are executed with your index finger, while downshifts are accomplished with pressure from your thumb. Mode changes can be done, as mentioned, on the fly via a right-bar mounted index-finger-actuated switch or, if you're in auto mode already, by simply utilizing the paddle shifters. Unlike automobiles with faux paddle-shift automatic transmissions, the VFR will not upshift unless commanded to do so, even bumping into the engine's soft rev-limiter if you fail to pull the upshift trigger in time.

For very aggressive racetrack riding, I favored the manual mode for the reasons previously mentioned. But the automatic system is so intelligent that on a street ride later in the day around the perimeter roads surrounding the circuit, I preferred to allow the bike to make the decisions for me and was very impressed with its execution. On the street, I also got a much better understanding of how the bike performs in real-world conditions. Clutch take-up, for example, was crisp and stutter-free. Same goes for fueling from the fly-by-wire injection. Driveline lash and shaft-drive jacking were minimal.

Honda has once again taken a chance and introduced technology we didn't realize we needed and then elevated it to a level of refinement that should surely hit a home run in its rookie season.

Name
    David
    Bike(s)
    2011 Ninja 1000

Still seems like a sport touring bike designed for one, much like the R12S BMW which lead a short life.

That said, riding one-up isn't so bad.
    It does not matter where you start.

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha XJ Mongrel

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=66346627001

145.1 hp at 10,100 rpm, 80.6 ft.-lb. of torque at 9100.

Thread Information